Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

My daughter has dual nationality status to the UK and Thailand. In a hypothetical situation, say foreign nationals had to leave the country and Thai nationals where instructed that they could not leave the country, Could my daughter exit the country on her British passport that she has no immigration status on? Could she exit on her Thai passport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Thailand, at leaving: At check-in use the UK pp and at the border controll the Thai pp.

In UK, on arriving: Only the UK passport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

In Thailand, at leaving: At check-in use the UK pp and at the border controll the Thai pp.

In UK, on arriving: Only the UK passport.

"... a deviously cunning plan Baldrick!" 

736224357_cunningplan.gif.45c0e7f741c113cb608fcfafb9d750b8.gif

 

 

 

Edited by tifino
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK she couldn't exit with the UK passport if there isn't an entry stamp, as according to that passport she's not in the country. I also have dual citizenship and travel with 2 passports, I found out some years ago that in Thailand you cannot switch from one to the other while inside the country.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TSF said:

AFAIK she couldn't exit with the UK passport if there isn't an entry stamp, as according to that passport she's not in the country. I also have dual citizenship and travel with 2 passports, I found out some years ago that in Thailand you cannot switch from one to the other while inside the country.

That is why at border control in Thailand show the Thai passport.

And at check-in with the airplane carrier the UK passport to overcome the requirement of taking the flight and entering the UK..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think many replies are missing the OP's point, of 'if' Thai nationals were banned from traveling overseas, what rules would apply.

 

I fear we just don't know. Yes in normal times it's foreign passport at check in and Thai passport at immigration.

 

But in the scenario where Thai's are forbidden to leave, the Thai passport is a problem at immigration because of a ban, as would be the foreign passport, since there was no entry stamp

 

So I really don't know what to say, other than if this is something you are worried about, leave before any travel ban is enacted.

 

These days we're all in uncharted waters, so who knows!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 3:24 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I think many replies are missing the OP's point, of 'if' Thai nationals were banned from traveling overseas, what rules would apply.

 

I fear we just don't know. Yes in normal times it's foreign passport at check in and Thai passport at immigration.

 

But in the scenario where Thai's are forbidden to leave, the Thai passport is a problem at immigration because of a ban, as would be the foreign passport, since there was no entry stamp

 

So I really don't know what to say, other than if this is something you are worried about, leave before any travel ban is enacted.

 

These days we're all in uncharted waters, so who knows!

Thank you for replying on point. Yes it is unchartered waters for everyone. One thing is for certain that i would fight nail and tooth to get my daughter back home under the scenario depicted. Even if it meant crossing the border illigally to another country to exit and take it from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steps said:

Thank you for replying on point. Yes it is unchartered waters for everyone. One thing is for certain that i would fight nail and tooth to get my daughter back home under the scenario depicted. Even if it meant crossing the border illigally to another country to exit and take it from there.

I'm a dual Thai national and to be honest you won't get decent guidance from the Thai government on this.

 

What I am listening to is the Australian governments advice (where I'm also a citizen) and their advice is if you want to get back to OZ, do so now as they can't guarantee that you will be able to at a later point.

 

For all intents and purposes, we are bunkering down here in Thailand as thats where our lives are, but if you are concerned, I'd get my daughter out now.

 

Thailand can be easy and lax for alot of things, but when the authorities decide to be draconian, they can, and in your scenario, unless I was extremely well connected, then I wouldn't think you'd be able to get your child out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose in an extreme case, as a dual national national you could throw away your Thai passport, go to the police and confess to an illegal entry by a foreign national, be placed in jail and then deported back to the foreign country.

 

Not sure I would recommend that, but since we are talking solely hypothetically, then hypothetically that could work. And if you don't want to do that in Thailand, the same process would work in Cambodia. And the border is very porous. I really don't see how they could stop a dual national from leaving if they were determined to, short of placing them in prison.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I suppose in an extreme case, as a dual national national you could throw away your Thai passport, go to the police and confess to an illegal entry by a foreign national, be placed in jail and then deported back to the foreign country.

 

Not sure I would recommend that, but since we are talking solely hypothetically, then hypothetically that could work. And if you don't want to do that in Thailand, the same process would work in Cambodia. And the border is very porous. I really don't see how they could stop a dual national from leaving if they were determined to, short of placing them in prison.

 

In addition to the prospect of a young female getting caught for illegal entry into a neighboring country. I mean who would want to be banged up in a Burmese, Lao, Malaysian or Cambodian prison.....anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, samran said:

In addition to the prospect of a young female getting caught for illegal entry into a neighboring country. I mean who would want to be banged up in a Burmese, Lao, Malaysian or Cambodian prison.....anyone?

 

Cambodia won't make you rot in prison just for illegal entry. They send you to detention (men and women are mixed together, as are other criminals, not just deportees), you pay your fine and then you are deported after your paperwork is processed.  There is actually a video of the facility on the internet. It looks unpleasant, but survivable for a few days while they get your deportation sorted.  It's when you don't have money to pay the fine that things get ugly. Make sure you have cash.  There are even private apartments inside the prison for those who can afford the fee.

 

Most Cambodian cops I know are much more interested in cash than potentially getting in serious trouble for having a go at an unwilling prisoner.  I suppose you could always get a bad one, but then again, an attractive young female has concerns just getting into a taxi.  As long as you have cash in Cambodia, you are probably OK. Make sure someone else can send it from outside the country in case you are deprived of your cash on hand by an enterprising thief.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Monomial said:

 

Cambodia won't make you rot in prison just for illegal entry. They send you to detention (men and women are mixed together, as are other criminals, not just deportees), you pay your fine and then you are deported after your paperwork is processed.  There is actually a video of the facility on the internet. It looks unpleasant, but survivable for a few days while they get your deportation sorted.  It's when you don't have money to pay the fine that things get ugly. Make sure you have cash.  There are even private apartments inside the prison for those who can afford the fee.

 

Most Cambodian cops I know are much more interested in cash than potentially getting in serious trouble for having a go at an unwilling prisoner.  I suppose you could always get a bad one, but then again, an attractive young female has concerns just getting into a taxi.  As long as you have cash in Cambodia, you are probably OK. Make sure someone else can send it from outside the country in case you are deprived of your cash on hand by an enterprising thief.

yeah, probably not what you want for the OPs daughter....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 3:24 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I think many replies are missing the OP's point, of 'if' Thai nationals were banned from traveling overseas, what rules would apply.

 

I fear we just don't know. Yes in normal times it's foreign passport at check in and Thai passport at immigration.

 

But in the scenario where Thai's are forbidden to leave, the Thai passport is a problem at immigration because of a ban, as would be the foreign passport, since there was no entry stamp

 

So I really don't know what to say, other than if this is something you are worried about, leave before any travel ban is enacted.

 

These days we're all in uncharted waters, so who knows!

I think an explanation and showing both passports would be all that's needed. Anyway, my gut feeling is that no one is being thrown out of the country and soon enough, things will be back to normal. Let's not go into panic mode here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, Monomial said:

 

Cambodia won't make you rot in prison just for illegal entry. They send you to detention (men and women are mixed together, as are other criminals, not just deportees), you pay your fine and then you are deported after your paperwork is processed.  There is actually a video of the facility on the internet. It looks unpleasant, but survivable for a few days while they get your deportation sorted.  It's when you don't have money to pay the fine that things get ugly. Make sure you have cash.  There are even private apartments inside the prison for those who can afford the fee.

 

Most Cambodian cops I know are much more interested in cash than potentially getting in serious trouble for having a go at an unwilling prisoner.  I suppose you could always get a bad one, but then again, an attractive young female has concerns just getting into a taxi.  As long as you have cash in Cambodia, you are probably OK. Make sure someone else can send it from outside the country in case you are deprived of your cash on hand by an enterprising thief.

Moot point now, but during normal times, you can enter Cambodia 'via the back door' from Laos, without needing any paperwork or passport. Your boat captain will take you to the Cambodian bank and you can spend the day enjoying the waterfall from the Cambodian side.

 

At the present time, any illegal border crossing anywhere in the world is ill advised (especially as a non-citizen) and may be punished more harshly than normal. The other day, 4 overstaying Chinese were caught up near Mae Sot in Tak, attempting to catch a boat to Myanmar. Aside from boat services across the river having been suspended, I don't understand why they didn't just seek an extension. Surprisingly, after they were caught, they were simply put on a plane to Don Muang, advised to go to their embassy for an extension letter, get it at immigration then fly home (if they can).

 

A previous batch of 4 Chinese who came in the other direction in the same area a few days earlier were detained and charged. I guess the Thai authorities care more if you attempt to enter illegally than depart illegally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...