Malls and markets in Bangkok ordered to close until 12 April

Jonathan Fairfield

Malls and markets in Bangkok ordered to close until 12 April

2020-03-20.jpg.bb6efd8f5f6461c2c030d29b6ace6831.jpg

Shopping malls and markets in Bangkok have been ordered to close from Sunday 22 March.

Only supermarkets and pharmacies will be allowed to remain open.

All other shops must remain closed until 12 April.

Restaurants can only offer a takeaway service, while restaurants in hotels are only allowed to serve food to guests.

The announcement was made by Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang on Saturday.

Mr Aswin stressed that supermarkets will remain open so there was no need to panic buy.

Businesses which must remain closed include:

• Health spas
  • Movie theatres
  • Bars
  • Weight-loss clinics
  • Waxing salons
  • Skating or rollerblading rinks
  • Beauty salons
  • Amusement parks, bowling alleys, arcades
  • Internet/gaming cafes
  • Golf courses, driving ranges
  • Public swimming pools
  • Tattoo parlours
  • Child care/babysitting centres
  • Care services for the elderly
  • Buddhist amulet markets
  • Cockfighting arenas
  • Meeting and exhibition venues
  • Fresh markets
  • Child care and education centres
  • All educational institutes

Mall food courts can remain open but most only offer food to take away.

Meanwhile, the private sector has been urged, where possible, to allow all employees to work from home. People are also encouraged to avoid travelling into populated areas and using services such as the BTS and MRT.

The news comes as Thailand on Saturday announced 89 new cases of coronavirus infections, the largest jump in cases in a single day, bringing the number of cases to more than 400.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-21

*post updated: Information regarding restaurants and food courts added

Post using content from Twitter have been removed, please do not post anything that is not from a reliable source, no links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter.

A post commenting on moderation has now been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
  • Haha 1

Although the BMA's official release does include fresh markets, it does exclude those selling fresh and prepared food stuffs. Seems to be aimed at general vendors. 

NationPhoto facebook page shows stores already being invaded:

90141765_10158196399272855_3359249318413

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

NationPhoto facebook page shows stores already being invaded:

I was just at Tesco Lotus. There is a lot of people buying stuff. A variety of items but mostly water. Not sure why water is such a hot commodity. There was also a very long line at the pharmacy. I am not sure what they all were getting. The check out lines were fully stationed so the actual checkout time was fast. Probably faster than normal. 

I made a quick stop at Dairy Queen to get my last Blizzard for the next few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Silurian said:

I was just at Tesco Lotus. There is a lot of people buying stuff. A variety of items but mostly water. Not sure why water is such a hot commodity. There was also a very long line at the pharmacy. I am not sure what they all were getting. The check out lines were fully stationed so the actual checkout time was fast. Probably faster than normal. 

I made a quick stop at Dairy Queen to get my last Blizzard for the next few weeks. 

Grab can get you your DQ fix! Code GFDAIRY will get new users a 60% discount!

• Like 2

Looks like I am hitting both Makro at 615 AM and then the mall at 1030, tomorrow. Not panic buying, not into "tissue". Making sure I have the odds and sods that make life tolerable.

Whatever Bangkok does, the gov up here will be under pressure to do the same. 

Thailand to close malls as coronavirus cases jump

2020-03-21T045136Z_1_LYNXMPEG2K06J_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A Royal Thai Army soldier sanitizes in the city due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand March 21, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand announced it will close malls in the capital Bangkok as the country reported its largest daily increase in coronavirus infections on Saturday.

Malls, except for supermarkets, will be closed for 22 days beginning March 22 to April 12 in a bid to curb the outbreak of the coronavirus, Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in a statement.

"For malls, only the areas that sell food and goods that are used in daily life, will be open,” Aswin said in a Facebook live broadcast.

Long queues and crowds of shoppers were seen at a grocery store in downtown Bangkok with their carts full of dried goods, food and medicine.

The governor asked the public not to panic and hoard goods.

“Please don’t be alarmed, I guarantee that you will be able to buy food and goods sufficiently,” he said.

Restaurants will be open for takeout orders and pharmacies will also remain open. The measures come as Thailand reported 89 new cases of the coronavirus on Saturday, bringing its tally to 411, with the majority of cases in Bangkok.

The new cases were linked to earlier infections from a boxing match, an entertainment complex and a religious gathering in neighbouring Malaysia, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a Public Health Ministry spokesman, said.

Boxing stadiums, beauty salons and arcades were also included in the closure announcement.

Those found violating the order face up to one year in prison or a fine of up to 100,000 baht.

Bangkok will also extend the closure of schools and bars for another 22 days.

Budget airlines also began suspending service.

Thai AirAsia is temporarily suspending its international flights from March 22 to April 25.

Thai Lion Air on Friday said it would suspend international and domestic flights from March 25 to April 30.

Of the patients infected, 366 are currently being treated, while 44 have recovered.

Thailand has reported one death in the outbreak.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng and Panu Wongcha-um; editing by Jane Wardell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-21

seeing some "stock up" buying again in Hua Hin just now. Sure.

I just filled up my motorcycle's gas tank to siphon to my scooter in May. Sure.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, smew said:

The world should take China country to ICC( international criminal court) and charge them with world public endangerment. Just like Europe did after WWI(Treaty of Versailles) Germany paid big price in land and gold for starting WWI.  This virus is no different than starting a war.

Penalty:  Elimination of all trade deficit with China : THIS IS WHAT WILL TEACH THEM A LESSON.

They took Tibet, East Turkmenistan started SARS and free world did NOTHING !!.  

PRC has no respect for anything that free world stands for!!!!  

LONG LIVE FREE TIBET & EAST TURKMEISTAN  

Even if taking China to court was possible, one has to prove malicious intent towards  the world. Every country has the sovereign right  to deal with with this situation in a way they think best, others might disagree with it , but it is not their call, in the same way that others can deal with the situation in their countries as best as they think even though China might think they are doing it wrong. 

It is called sovereignty. I find it odd that you would advocate sovereignty for Tibet and East Turkmenistan but advocate that China surrender theirs to a world court.

• Like 2

So in this case, Thailand should also be brought before the CPI, because it let the Chinese in for their new year, even though we were in the midst of a crisis.
Ditto for France who let in 3000 Italians for a football match, while Italy was in the middle of Coronavirus.
Ditto for last week's elections. And many other unlikely things.
It must be said that in France, the intellectual level has dropped, governments first.
And yes, it's the people era, the TV unrealities, even for those who claim to govern us.

• Like 1