Renewal of ED visa

Hey 

Two students arrived in January on an ED visa to do an internship at a company located in Bangkok.

By law these visas allow only 90 days as they are not getting paid.

These internships last 6 months so, usually, the students apply for and obtain a second visa at the nearest Thai embassy.

Their visas end respectively on the 5th and 12th of April. Due to the current turmoil, they had planned to go to Laos which  went on lockdown the day before they were supposed to leave Thailand (in any case, it is better, as they would not have been admitted back, lacking the medical certificate and the  100,000USD insurance required)

Now, I have approached an agency claiming that they could help applying ( successfully) for a year without any border runs, which the girls do not need ( flying back in June) but it would have been quite fine if not for the exorbitant fee demanded ( out of discretion I will not name the agent nor the price )

What I am thinking now is, if this agent can do it, legally, that means that the girls should be able to do it by themselves at the Immigration as, surely, the situation has evolved and decisions taken ( or about to ) in order to ease this maze. 

Any informed replies would be appreciated, or at least an educated guess

Have a great day

Alyx

There is no extension possible for a internship unless it is sponsored by a university here.

I think the agent would be arranging something under the table at immigration.

At this time their only choice may be to apply for 30 day extensions if they can get a letter from their embassy requesting it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

You run the risk of having fraudulent stamps placed in the passports especially if the passport holders are not required to attend an immigration office.

Yep, It has happened....

This is why I was enquiring about any news regarding the issuance of this kind of visas

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

hey 

Back on the subject as the two students have been able to obtain the letter rom the Embassy.

Their visas ending on the 12th of April they wanted to go to Chaeng Wattana on Tuesday 7 April but I advised them to turn up at the immigration on Thursday the 9th instead as I guess that the queues are going to be unusually long due the the long weekend.

Do you think my advice is good?

As they are under the ED: is it better to ask for an extension / renewal based on this or just ask for 30 tourist visa extension, if that choice is available?

I am confused about the place where they should go to? anyone ?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, alyx said:

I am confused about the place where they should go to? anyone ?

They will do it a Chaeng Wattana. The temporary office is only doing tourist and visa exempt entry extensions.

Thanks 

So I guess they will just go the renewal of their visa as they are still under their current visa instead of presenting their letter from the embassy, aren't they ?

9 minutes ago, alyx said:

Thanks 

So I guess they will just go the renewal of their visa as they are still under their current visa instead of presenting their letter from the embassy, aren't they ?

They will need a letter from their embassy since they do not qualify for a normal extension.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, alyx said:

What I am thinking now is, if this agent can do it, legally, that means that the girls should be able to do it by themselves at the Immigration as, surely, the situation has evolved and decisions taken ( or about to ) in order to ease this maze. 

There is little comparison between what an agent can do, and what YOU can do.  Hint: It has to do where most of that exhorbatant price goes.  As this would be non-standard, a higher-level person would likely need to sign off on it.