Are the DIY places shut down too?

Crossy

Before venturing out into the big bad corona infected world in search of some screws does anyone know if the DIY places are actually operating?

EDIT Bangkok and nearby provinces affected by the shutdown order.

59 minutes ago, essox essox said:

why not buy screws off online shopping sites E.G LAZADA??

Reading between the lines I reckon  Crossy wants to venture out and buy today....Lazada would be useless for that.

In saying that, I did actually look for screws there during the week for an up coming project and found the selection to be very poor..... I grabbed some from Hardware House instead.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Bangkok and nearby provinces affected by the shutdown order.

the question is how far out does the shutdown zone extend?

is there a map?

are you going to be asked why you are out? groceries and pharmacies shopping only.

Edited by NCC1701A

There's no map per-sé - shutdown affects Bangkok itself plus Samut Prakarn, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi and Pathumthani (which is us). https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155043-neighbouring-provinces-follow-bangkok-in-closing-many-public-outlets/

The list of places not permitted to open seems to include "retail outlets" which in my mind would include the DIY places, anyone actually know?

For us it's somewhat academic, I found something suitable in the "assorted bits" box ????

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Reading between the lines I reckon  Crossy wants to venture out and buy today....Lazada would be useless for that.

In saying that, I did actually look for screws there during the week for an up coming project and found the selection to be very poor..... I grabbed some from Hardware House instead.

Have you checked out the Mr. D.I.Y. outlets yet? There's more screws there than you can get on Soi 6 in December.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

When China closed it's factories to upgrade pollution controls, just couldn't get screws in AUSTRALIA. So being screwed with no screws could effect here this time as well. 

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

When China closed it's factories to upgrade pollution controls, just couldn't get screws in AUSTRALIA. So being screwed with no screws could effect here this time as well. 

luckily hardwarehouse here in Thailand has a fantastic selection available.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

No why ?... Ive purchased what I need at Hardwarehouse.

I appreciate that you have ALREADY purchased for your project. I was simply suggesting an alternative for the next time? I have found they are a handy and quick alternative to the main hardware stores and they have branches just about everywhere.

I've found stuff in Mr DIY that other places didn't have, in my case it was long (tandoor long) barbie skewers.

But the thread topic is "Are the DIY places open today" (that would include Mr DIY) ????

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I appreciate that you have ALREADY purchased for your project. I was simply suggesting an alternative for the next time? I have found they are a handy and quick alternative to the main hardware stores and they have branches just about everywhere.

I do find Mr DIY handy for those days when I need something minor/disposable and I have seen screws there but I needed to buy atleast 500 screws and they only sell by the small baggie where as Hardwarehouse I can buy by the box.

Its more of an effort for me to go Mr DIY than hardwarehouse, as there is a hardwareghouse near my work and I can pop over during my lunch break.

Edited by Don Mega

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But the thread topic is "Are the DIY places open today" (that would include Mr DIY) 

Thai Watsadu obviously closed in dedicated areas.

22. March until 12. April (for now).

It's in Thai but more than clear.

https://www.facebook.com/thaiwatsadu.thai/photos/rpp.175410509263870/1588487021289538/?type=3&theater

Surprising that it seems to include Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

Not only Bangkok metro area.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

As linked by @KhunBENQ Thaiwatsadu are closed (branches affected - Thai Watsadu, Sukhaphiban Branch 3, Nong Chok, Nawamin, Rama 2, Bang Bua Thong, Bang Na, Mahachai, Pathum Thani, Bang Phli, Chaeng Watthana, Rangsit, Chaiyapruek, Lam Luk Ka, Om Noi, Pak Chong and Nakhon Ratchasima).

One would assume that the others will be too.

Drove by Megahome just north of Future Park. Looks deserted. So add that to the list of closed hardware stores.

I would guess that while Lotus itself could remain open, all of the other shops in its orbit are closed. So I suspect Mr. DIY is shutdown.  You'd have to go into a Lotus to check though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The BMTA announced that non-essential shops and malls should close. I haven't read about any nearby provincial authorities making the same call. The government still hasn't made up its mind whether to call a nationwide closure of non-essentials.

Not having clue where Crossyville is, maybe go and have a look?

If and when the shutdown does hit the DIY shops, one needs to improvise and start scavenging screws from existing installations. For example, there's at least half-a-dozen 'spare' screws in each pair of wood door hinges and maybe a dozen if you remove the door completely.

This 'outside the box' DIY tip brought to you by the letters N and L.

Although this post is a little 'tongue-in-cheek' there is some good advice.

The doors - and I guess most poster's doors are the same - have four hinges with four screws in each. Just do the following: remove three from the bottom hinge, two from the next up, two from the second down  and one from the top. Do that to four doors and you have 32 screws.

This DIY tip is brought to you by 'Owl's common sense approach to Thailand DIY'

42 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Drove by Megahome just north of Future Park. Looks deserted. So add that to the list of closed hardware stores.

That would be my go-to place, glad I didn't bother looking ????