Are the DIY places shut down too?

Crossy

Last night, I called Home Pro's call center and was told in EN that all but three of their BKK stores would remain open.

Today, my wife called the same Home Pro call center, for something related to her job, and tells me they told her all the HomePro stores in BKK are closed.

It would be kinda nice if they could at least get their act together a little bit....  :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's no map per-sé - shutdown affects Bangkok

Certain types of business, (they've all been listed very clearly) and locations, eg shopping malls, are affected. <trolling comment removed>

If your DIY shop, or any other shop, is in a mall then it should, obviously, be closed, if it's not then there's no reason for it to be closed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If your DIY shop, or any other shop, is in a mall then it should, obviously, be closed, if it's not then there's no reason for it to be closed.

BUT, as has been noted in this thread, all the big-name DIY places in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, even those outside the malls, are indeed closed and have announcements on their websites to that effect.

Global House here in Buriram was open for business as usual a couple of days ago. Hope to go back to get some more stuff for our developing "farm project" out in the country. Everything else seems to be operating as normal here except for the closure of the outdoor, farmers markets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

BUT, as has been noted in this thread, all the big-name DIY places in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, even those outside the malls, are indeed closed and have announcements on their websites to that effect.

I think just about all the DIY places have small stalls just outside selling plants, or furniture, etc......so i think that would put them in the same category as malls, rather than stand alone places. And they would also come under the department store category, which means they should be closed.

Edited by MikeN

23 hours ago, essox essox said:

why not buy screws off online shopping sites E.G LAZADA??

Good luck with ordering from Lazada.  I have had 4 orders refunded in the past week and a half. Stuff comes from china so maybe they will ship and maybe they can't. Though refund was quick. My guess is that we will have to see what actually happens with the post office

22 hours ago, Don Mega said:

No why ?... Ive purchased what I need at Hardwarehouse.

I went to Hardware house on Saturday...they had a temperature scanner and 99% staff wearing face mask ( none for sale)

Homepro yesterday no temperature scan most staff with face mask ( didn't look to see any for sale)

( Bahn Ampur Chonburi Province)

Edited by johng

Korat yesterday - Homepro closed, Do Home closed, all the small Thai hardware stores I saw are also closed.  <deleted> off because just moved house and have curtains with no curtain poles, a water tank but no pump, loads of kitchen and bathroom accessories to be attached to the wall but no drill as mine was stolen lost during the move.

1 hour ago, grs90 said:

Korat yesterday - Homepro closed, Do Home closed, all the small Thai hardware stores I saw are also closed.  <deleted> off because just moved house and have curtains with no curtain poles, a water tank but no pump, loads of kitchen and bathroom accessories to be attached to the wall but no drill as mine was stolen lost during the move.

There is a member quite near you who was selling bits and pieces last month, try contacting him and see if he’s got the bits you need. You may just be in luck.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, iamariva1957 said:

Good luck with ordering from Lazada.  I have had 4 orders refunded in the past week and a half. Stuff comes from china so maybe they will ship and maybe they can't. Though refund was quick. My guess is that we will have to see what actually happens with the post office

I have had a Chinese origin order delivered in the last couple of days, the other orders are coming, and have come, from Thailand.

just as an extra safety precaution I’m signing using a 99% alcohol wipe between my finger and the phone screen, and wiping down the packaging as well if it’s plastic.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

Today March 23 in Buriram Ruangsangthai Home Builders Merchants is open normal hours. They also sell on lazada and ship over 40 packages a day to buyers via Lazada. I see a load of Daikin Inverter Air Conditioners being delivered to a Buriram house estate project, a Big Wood Dust Collector at the front door, and Milwaukee Power Tools in the showcase area.  They check customer and employee temperatures at the front door. Hardware House is also a good place to buy tools on line or at one of their retail stores. Mr. DIY in Taweekit Supercenter is where I buy cat toys and dog water bowls. 

Buriram Daikin Inverter Air Conditioner Delivery March 2020.jpg

Buriram Big Wood Dust Collector Delivery March 2020.jpg

Buriram Milwaukee Power Tools March 2020.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, NCC1701A said:

the question is how far out does the shutdown zone extend?

is there a map?

are you going to be asked why you are out? groceries and pharmacies shopping only.

Where did they close down hardware stores? 

The most ridiculous sight I've seen for a while.

At Tesco Lotus Rangsit Klong 4. First, I can confirm for Crossy, Mr. DIY's are closed. In fact, everything in Lotus that is not a pharmacy or food stall is closed. That includes banks. Restaurants are open, but only for take away. Honestly, I couldn't believe that MK even bothered. Who orders MK for takeaway? 6 people just standing around doing nothing. However, the truly ridiculous part is that Lotus has actually roped off all the aisles that do not sell food products. Need a spoon? Too bad. That aisle is closed. If you climb under the ropes and try to purchase it anyway, the checkout staff will not ring it up for you.

So basically, for the next 2 weeks the *ONLY* thing you can buy is food and medicine. If you need towels, utensils or hardware supplies, you have to drive to Ayuttaya to get it.

• Like 2

Friends have told me that the Global House Store, Do Home, Home Hub, Thai Watsadu are closed today in Udon Thani. In Buriram today Solar panels were delivered to Ruangsangthai. The on line orders often bought on the Lazada store front for Ruangsangthai has hit records every day. Tesco in Satuk was closed today due to an incident.  It is day by day, store by store in my observation. If I was planning a building project for April I would consider shopping today in person or on line from stores that would deliver in a timely basis. I bought a new fridge at Buriram Homepro on last Friday evening and they pushed up the delivery date to 7pm on this past Sunday. Some stores seem to make the effort to deliver on a reasonable schedule. 

Ruangsangthai shipping tools pumps lawn mowers March 24.jpg

Buriram isaan Solar Panels Shipment March 24 2020.jpg

• Like 1

I am told that the Buriram Global House Store and the Buriram Thai Watsadu Builders Merchants are closed today. Mr. Pichai the owner of Ruangsangthai Home Builders Merchants in Buriram told me this morning that he has been in contact several times a day with respective Buriram Government officials. His store is OPEN Wednesday March 25 and his water pump, power tool repair teams are busy helping critical need customers. He said the hardware Store remaining open is on a "day by day" basis and that he hopes that he can find a way to safely repair or install water pumps, generators and hot water heaters going forward. The virus is a serious issue and many buildings depend on running water. 

Buriram Deep Well Water Pumps March 25 Delivery Thailand.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Ayutthaya Home mart and Global House still open.

A week ago I went to Homemart for supplies for my diy project ( don’t ask ????) they had a drive thru operating but it was a shambles so went to Global House, business as usual in there, got my stuff and went home.

Yesterday, realising I needed some more stuff to complete the job ( lifetime career would be more accurate ) shot off to Global House, staff in the car park informed us “ online” only . Back at home checked online, they didn’t have what I need ( despite buying the same in their store a week ago ). After a bit of a moan to the gf she said “ take a photo I will send on Line “

Then it clicked, staff were saying “ on Line “ not “ online “ ????, so after ordering and paying went back to collect from the loading bay round the back.

Also drove past Homemart who now are operating as normal !!

Soo, DIY stores are still open near me only they are unsure how to keep them open !!

Buriram Builders Merchants Ruangsanggthai is open this week.  Staff seem to be offering safety suits near the free coffee. They were offering 1 liter bottles of Benzakonium Chloride 80% which seems like the product used in this article: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384380

At Global House I see they are now offering solar attic fans. 

Safety 3M in Buriram.jpg

solar roof fans.jpg

• Like 1