Getting your medications without travelling - options

Sheryl

On 3/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, lopburi3 said:

And out of pocket a huge markup.  Drugs are not fake here with the normal exceptions of male enhancements sold on the street.  Both Thai made and imported drugs are sold by drug stores but there are exceptions that can only be obtained directly from hospital.  But most are not in that category.  

Amlodepine in local pharmacy = Bht 240 for 100 box, local govt hospital = 50% of that.

Doxadozin in pharmacy Bht 280 for 100, hospital 180.

1 hour ago, decline said:

yes, I remember being it like that before, but now I just get this (logged in)

q1W3e0N.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gran

Go to Login above and sign in again. It will bring you to a page with Search function.  What is happening is it is reverting to check out page from last order.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, Sheryl said:

Go to Login above and sign in again. It will bring you to a page with Search function.  What is happening is it is reverting to check out page from last order.

I’m still not seeing any option to search

Keeps referring to their Line account 

5 hours ago, decline said:

I’m still not seeing any option to search

Keeps referring to their Line account 

After log in you should get this page:

1822510600_ScreenShot2023-03-04at11_01_45AM.thumb.png.1803f6fd39ddaed9ad946ddf3b22c17d.png

Search is box at the very top right side

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:51 PM, herfiehandbag said:

On Friday I will collect 3 months worth of medicines ( diabetes and blood pressure) from the local hospital pharmacy, "GPO" branded.

I will then compare the price with that quoted in the links you have given.

It will be interesting...

Of course what I don't know is what would be charged by the pharmacy at a private hospital. I do recall that when I switched from the big private hospital in Chiang Rai to my local government hospital my medication bill went down by about 50%.

Unable to really make a comparison as my blood sugar is so reduced that the Doctor lass has taken me off virtually all my Diabetes medicines, save a couple of Metformin morning and evening!

I am absolutely chuffed to NAAFI break!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tamoxifen (Nolvadex) for ER+ breast cancer;

I was shocked we couldn't get a refill on Samui. Her Bangkok oncologist at Vejthani required us to fly in for a refill and would not, or could not, assist us in getting his prescription refilled in Samui.

She has a prescription from the US and Thailand too. But no Dr on Samui would refill because it's for cancer. They require an oncologist to refill it. There's no oncologist that comes to Samui anymore they all said.

Tamoxifen's use for ER+ breast cancer is actually an off-label use. Tamoxifen was approved in 1962 and was a contraceptive. It's on the WHO list. It's not addictive and has a long history of being generally safe.

We were so shocked that we gave up our deposit and moved to within driving distance of her oncologist.

Also, I didn't trust that flights wouldn't be shut down in case covid spiked again due to a new tourist group from a highly infected covid-naive-population country, with possible variants of concern.

Knowing what is sold without prescription here, this refusal to refill in late 2022, NOT PRESCRIBE, was frustrating.

It felt like they would allow people to die for an arcane rule.

58 minutes ago, ding said:

Tamoxifen (Nolvadex) for ER+ breast cancer;

I was shocked we couldn't get a refill on Samui. Her Bangkok oncologist at Vejthani required us to fly in for a refill and would not, or could not, assist us in getting his prescription refilled in Samui.

She has a prescription from the US and Thailand too. But no Dr on Samui would refill because it's for cancer. They require an oncologist to refill it. There's no oncologist that comes to Samui anymore they all said.

Tamoxifen's use for ER+ breast cancer is actually an off-label use. Tamoxifen was approved in 1962 and was a contraceptive. It's on the WHO list. It's not addictive and has a long history of being generally safe.

We were so shocked that we gave up our deposit and moved to within driving distance of her oncologist.

Also, I didn't trust that flights wouldn't be shut down in case covid spiked again due to a new tourist group from a highly infected covid-naive-population country, with possible variants of concern.

Knowing what is sold without prescription here, this refusal to refill in late 2022, NOT PRESCRIBE, was frustrating.

It felt like they would allow people to die for an arcane rule.

US prescriptions have absolutely no validity in Thailand. Nor do prescriptions from any other country. Same is true in most countries. I doubt you could walk into a US pharmacy and fill a prescription issued by a doctor in another country.

While many drugs that are prescription only in western countries are  sold over the counter here, the reverse is also sometimes the case. Every country has its own rules about this. In Thailand, as in most countries, Tamoxifen definitely is not an over the counter drug, it is in a special controlled category. Pharmacies do not carry it. 

You also need to understand that there is no real "prescription" system in Thailand, no prescription pads etc.  Drugs that are by prescription only usually have to be gotten from a hospital or clinic pharmacy and these disburse only drugs ordered by doctors on their staff. There is no system for "refill" of such drugs, have to see doctor again.  This is why her doctor in Bangkok could not do anything to help her get it in Samui.

This was not a "refusal" it was people following the rules and system that is in place in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This was not a "refusal" it was people following the rules and system that is in place in Thailand.

Understood, thank you! I just hadn't come across that yet. I assumed wrongly that her oncologist in Bangkok would be able to help and it really wasn't explained like you just did. Thanks again.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, Sheryl said:

After log in you should get this page:

1822510600_ScreenShot2023-03-04at11_01_45AM.thumb.png.1803f6fd39ddaed9ad946ddf3b22c17d.png

Search is box at the very top right side

I’ve tried 3 different browsers and registering a new login and still don’t get this white search bar show up 

Very strange 

• 1 month later...