Extend US METV

My current US METV runs from Sept 11, 2019 to March 10, 2020.

Until recently I intended to return early April, so I did an extension on Feb 26, OK till Apr 25, have a flight booked for Apr 10.

But with the Covid frenzy at full tilt there, all things considered, I think I’m better off to stay here a while longer if possible.

I’ve seen various posts that say Thai Gov’t is allowing additional 30 day extensions – with a letter from the Embassy. But an article in Phuket News also said the the US Embassy is refusing to issue that sort of letter.

So – I’m wondering if I was to go to Immigration here in Chiang Mai with 1,900 baht, no letter, is there a reasonable chance of getting another 30 days?

Thanks!

DS

Edited by MrKFC
misspelled word

34 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Until recently I intended to return early April, so I did an extension on Feb 26, OK till Apr 25

Do you mean you did a border run and got 60 days? An extension would have been only 30 days.

If you didn't get an extension yet there is no problem in getting a regular 30 day extension.

• Like 1

Then there should be no problem to apply for a regular 30 day extension, no embassy letter required. Depending on the immigration office you have to wait until a week or two before your permit to stay expires before they let you apply.

• Like 1

Yep, what's clear is there is no single correct answer.

My thinking goes kinda like this:

Circumstances here are really quite good for isolation, health is good, doing what I can to pump up the immune system, but if I should happen to get infected, I can afford to pay for medical help here.

Isolation at home is also easy, but if I happen to get the bug, I can't really afford what it might cost.

I'm thinking that by mid May, the 'system' there will have evolved.

DS

• Like 1

So - the original METV expired March 10, I dd a run on Feb 26, now shows an expiration of Apr 25.

A friend who's spent a lot of time here said he thinks that  - if the borders should happen to open before my current visa expires - I could do another run and extend 60 days, conceivably extend into late June.

I'm a bit skeptical ... ?

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

A friend who's spent a lot of time here said he thinks that  - if the borders should happen to open before my current visa expires - I could do another run and extend 60 days, conceivably extend into late June.

If you are able to do an entry on or before the valid until date shown on your visa you can get another 60 day entry. What is that date?

Apparently your most recent 60 day entry from you visa ends on April  25th. You can apply for a 30 day extension of it at a immigration office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrKFC said:

So - the original METV expired March 10, I dd a run on Feb 26, now shows an expiration of Apr 25.

I'm a bit skeptical ... ?

Thanks!

Forget that option. It`s 99.9% impossible that the borders reopen for farang until 10th of April. You may have the possibility to to a visa run by plane yes. However, it`s more or less not possible to come back to TH then, as they require a real negative covid test. At the beginning some 300 THB health certificates from small hospitals were accepted. That has been stopped to my knowledge.

But technically in regard to your question. IF you can do a border run on April 10th, you will get 60 extra days. After that you still can get a normal exempt for 30 days by going to the immigration. That would let you stay legally in TH until mid of July.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are able to do an entry on or before the valid until date shown on your visa you can get another 60 day entry. What is that date? 

The METVisa was issued Sept 11, shows an expiration date of Mar 10. When I did the run Feb 26, the expiration date is Apr 25. My friend says that Mar 10 is not relevant, Apr 25 is the one that matters. 

What I'm trying to do is stay here till the Covid frenzy in the US settles down a bit. A 30 day extension till May 24 might do it, but thinking June will be better. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

IF you can do a border run on April 10th, you will get 60 extra days. After that you still can get a normal exempt for 30 days by going to the immigration. That would let you stay legally in TH until mid of July.

I agree, the odds are strong that it won't be done that soon, but I'm OK till Apr 25. 

I had booked a flight for Apr 10 before Covid panic hit, so I pushed it back to Apr 23. Both cancelled. So I'm trying to stay put as long as possible - May will be better than it is now - June or July would suit me just fine.

Fortunately, at this point there's no pressure to do anything immediately, trying to get an idea of what my options are with Thai Immigration -  definitely don't want to overstay or any other transgressions. 

Thanks!