airlines cancelling flights, refunds are up in the air

seajae

On 3/22/2020 at 5:58 AM, ChipButty said:

Thai where offering refunds last week,

Not to me. I have flight from Sweden to Bkk april 27. I did not hear anything from them yet. Hopefully they cancel the flight, and then I might ask for the money back from my credit card.

Edited by EdrigoSalvadore

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Instead of taking the unsure road of applying for a refund, would it not be better to ask my credit-card company for a 'charge back', as you suggest.

Emirates send me an e-mail that my flights Dubai - Brussels were CANCELLED (not suspended).

But my flights Bangkok - Dubai are not cancelled yet by them (but obviously they did become worthless for me without onward flights to my final destination).

Are they seperate tickets?

Most people here are understandably refering to flights out of Thailand. I have no idea what the rules are on those but anyone booking flights that begin in Europe/UK and are subsequently cancelled by the airline should be OK. EU and UK rules protect such situations and you do not have to accept a voucher or alternative flight. However, the maximum amount of compensation is 600 Euros per passenger and it depends on the length of the flight. I have no idea what happens if the airline goes bust though.

If you cancel the flight yourself, you will not be covered.

https://yourflightrights.eu/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRnY8isaQB7R_6-shQcxkK3J5m1kcqrrm9P4QfEUqyKIVpdgZGHJgV4aAkvvEALw_wcB

sods  law I  booked with Air  France  for MAY 31st note BEFORE however this  may all change between now and then.

If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before 31 May 2020, you have until 30 September 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees. Your new trip must begin no later than 30 November 2020 included.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Instead of taking the unsure road of applying for a refund, would it not be better to ask my credit-card company for a 'charge back', as you suggest.

Emirates send me an e-mail that my flights Dubai - Brussels were CANCELLED (not suspended).

But my flights Bangkok - Dubai are not cancelled yet by them (but obviously they did become worthless for me without onward flights to my final destination).

34 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Are they seperate tickets?

It is ONE flight confirmation number > BKK - DUB - BRU,

so by cancelling the last leg of that trip, they made the first part useless (what's the point of flying to Dubai, when I cannot reach my end-destination from there anymore).

So for sure, I am entitled to a full refund.

But in order to avoid long-waiting times before the above is cleared and I will receive my refund the option to ask for a 'charge-back' from my credit-card company as Emirates did not honor the contract I paid for, is probably the easiest one.

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

so by cancelling the last leg of that trip, they made the first part useless (what's the point of flying to Dubai, when I cannot reach my end-destination from there anymore).

But in order to avoid long-waiting times before the above is cleared and I will receive my refund the option to ask for a 'charge-back' from my credit-card company as Emirates did not honor the contract I paid for, is probably the easiest one.

Yes a good idea

4 minutes ago, docspinoff said:

Klm. Say get voucher. But takes 7 days to get. But have to contact klm via Facebook or twitter not reply from 4 days ago. Just not even look at message 

KLM - the reliable airline ... for lousy customer service.

I'd rather walk than booking KLM.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Most people here are understandably refering to flights out of Thailand. I have no idea what the rules are on those but anyone booking flights that begin in Europe/UK and are subsequently cancelled by the airline should be OK. EU and UK rules protect such situations and you do not have to accept a voucher or alternative flight. However, the maximum amount of compensation is 600 Euros per passenger and it depends on the length of the flight. I have no idea what happens if the airline goes bust though.

If you cancel the flight yourself, you will not be covered.

https://yourflightrights.eu/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRnY8isaQB7R_6-shQcxkK3J5m1kcqrrm9P4QfEUqyKIVpdgZGHJgV4aAkvvEALw_wcB

The EU directive gives you rights to a full refund if the airline cancels.  The  600 Euros you mention is the top level of compensation for delayed flights, or flights cancelled within 2 weeks of departure.  It does not remove the right to a full refund as well, if applicable.

If you're away from home, you can request the refund and being taken home I believe, but as you say, don't cancel as that removes the airline's obligation to you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If all Dubai connecting flights to Europe have been cancelled, there will be many people in a similar situation (useless flight to Dubai and cancelled flight to next destination). 

I am in that position and can't do anything on line to re-schedule.  I have plenty of time and will try calling them if their office is still closed closer to the time.

46 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If you haven't had another email from Emirates in the past couple of hours, please be advised that with effect from tomorrow the UAE has imposed a total ban on all flights arriving and departing from within the UAE, which obviously includes Dubai which directly affects Emirates.  The ban is currently scheduled for 2 weeks but given the current situation it is highly possible that the ban may be extended.

I have a sneaking feeling that this directive by the UAE will give Emirates a 'get-out-of jail' card on the basis that they are having to cancel flight outside of their control.  I may be wrong.

With regard to claiming a 'claw back' through your credit card company..... before doing so please double check the T&C of your ticket.  If it is a non-refundable ticket e.g. special price or a saver etc, Emirates may well try to argue that you were aware that your ticket was not refundable when they sent you the T&C with your booking confirmation.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Or it could be possible that the VOUCHER is for a flight on the same route, regardless of price. Then that would be better than the refund.

No.  In many cases the voucher will be at a value set by the airline, which may not necessarily be the price that you paid for the ticket e.g. less any admin or penalty fee.  The voucher will be for a value in whatever currency you paid, it does not specify that it must be used against the same route as you originally intended.

What you need to bear in mind is that if you decide to use the voucher to purchase a new ticket on the same route within the validity of the voucher (e.g. 12 months from date of issue) you will most likely be faced with having to pay extra for the new flight because no doubt the fare will have increased.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

What you need to bear in mind is that if you decide to use the voucher to purchase a new ticket on the same route within the validity of the voucher (e.g. 12 months from date of issue) . . . .

Another thing to bear in mind is that although the voucher will only have a validity of 12 months, it can be used to book flights approx 11 months in advance, so you can use it to fly in almost 2 years time if so desired.

12 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

With regard to claiming a 'claw back' through your credit card company..... before doing so please double check the T&C of your ticket.  If it is a non-refundable ticket e.g. special price or a saver etc, Emirates may well try to argue that you were aware that your ticket was not refundable when they sent you the T&C with your booking confirmation.

Wow, if Emirates would refuse a refund (or challenge the credit-card charge-back) I would classify them as a 'rogue' airline.

Even if I have a non-refundable ticket, the fact remains that they are not honoring the contract by providing the service they sold me.

But we live in strange times, so it is well possible they would try to weasle out of it (I read on their web-site that if you paid using your Emirates-miles, they would NOT refund these - which is also a questionable practice).

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

(I read on their web-site that if you paid using your Emirates-miles, they would NOT refund these - which is also a questionable practice).

Only if the miles had expired since booking the ticket.  Not ideal, but not as bad as any payment with miles.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Booked 'non-refundable' tickets with Emirates on a Debit Card. BKK to DXB to MAD and back. The DXB - MAD - DXB have been cancelled but the Emirates website says that only the Fare will be refunded and not the taxes/fees. Anyone any ideas please.

Also booked NOK Air to get me from Phitsanulok to DMK to connect to the Emirates flights, also with Debit Card (Bkk Bank). 

Took out insurance with Frank in Bkk which only covers cancellation due to sickness for me, wife or close family. 

Sorry stouricks but the information which I have underlined in your post above is incorrect, it is in fact the complete opposite.

According to the Emirates, the amount of refund you will be entitled to will be accordance with the fare condition of your ticket.  Unfortunately, as you have a non-refundable ticket, that is what you will get.  Nought!  You may, however, get the passenger tax element refunded but that is only going to be a small amount.

To make matters worse, if you have paid by a debit card it is unlikely that the card provider operates a 'claw back' scheme.

Sorry mate, but it looks like you have been 'shafted'.

That said, one glimmer of hope may be if you have travel insurance you may be able to make a claim on that for flight cancellation.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Wow, if Emirates would refuse a refund (or challenge the credit-card charge-back) I would classify them as a 'rogue' airline.

Even if I have a non-refundable ticket, the fact remains that they are not honoring the contract by providing the service they sold me.

But we live in strange times, so it is well possible they would try to weasle out of it (I read on their web-site that if you paid using your Emirates-miles, they would NOT refund these - which is also a questionable practice).

I totally agree with you. 

That said, hypothetically put yourself in their position.  You have massive overheads (aircraft leasing cost, staff salaries, aircraft landing/parking fees etc) and lots of bills to pay during the shutdown which is not fault.  What would you do?  No doubt the same as them and try and hang on to every last penny for as long as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I totally disagree with the way that they are handling this situation and no doubt when things eventually return to normal many of their loyal customers will remember the way that they have been treated and migrate to another airline.

FYI.... The comment about having paid with Skyward miles and not being refunded only applies were someone has booked a flight with miles that were about to expire e.g. they have booked a flight in April with miles that are about to expire at the end of March.  If the miles were still valid at the time of the flight then those miles will be credited to the members account.

Edited by 007 RED
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

To make matters worse, if you have paid by a debit card it is unlikely that the card provider operates a 'claw back' scheme.

Many EU issuers of debit cards do have a chargeback scheme covering their debit cards.  I see stouricks who you were replying to was heading to Spain so if he/she has paid with a Spanish debit card they could indeed have a claim.  The Ts and Cs are not the same as the legal coverage for credit card chargebacks, but the system is there and should be used if possible.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Sorry stouricks but the information which I have underlined in your post above is incorrect, it is in fact the complete opposite.

According to the Emirates, the amount of refund you will be entitled to will be accordance with the fare condition of your ticket.  Unfortunately, as you have a non-refundable ticket, that is what you will get.  Nought!  You may, however, get the passenger tax element refunded but that is only going to be a small amount.

Sorry mate, but it looks like you have been 'shafted'.

That said, one glimmer of hope may be if you have travel insurance you may be able to make a claim on that for flight cancellation.

Best of luck.

Thanks Red. I shall go for the voucher which can be used for 12 months, but flight prices will probably have doubled by then......so I shall have to go alone!   LOL

I did take out insurance with Franks in Bkk, but the cancellation only pays out if me, the Mrs or immediate family are sick. I am sending her out on the streets of Bkk tomorrow to catch Covid!   LOL

19 minutes ago, treetops said:

Many EU issuers of debit cards do have a chargeback scheme covering their debit cards.  I see stouricks who you were replying to was heading to Spain so if he/she has paid with a Spanish debit card they could indeed have a claim.  The Ts and Cs are not the same as the legal coverage for credit card chargebacks, but the system is there and should be used if possible.

I paid with Transferwise Borderless account. Shall talk with them soon.

If nothing else, this will sort out the reputable airlines from the dodgy ones. I'd expect a credit to be applied for a rebooked flight, and I think the ACCC in Australia would have something to say about unethical or fraudulent business practices. Failing that, as I booked with a debit card, I'd reverse the charge.

I have a return flight with Qatar on the 21st of April I wanted to change my flight to an earlier date so I could get back to the uk Qatar were quoting £1400 robbing sods so booked a £320 flight with emirates yesterday for the 1st of April now they are not flying both flights were booked with the airlines direct also booked a Thai smile flight to bangkok and a train ticket for when I got back to the uk think I've been shafted from all angles any advice anyone 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, Saltire said:

2 days ago I cancelled a flight I booked last year with British Airways BKK - LHR - GLA to take advantage of the online offer of not a refund, but a voucher to the same value, no cancellation fee and the voucher valid for a year from the original departure date (21 May 2020) to any destination.

On submisssion was told I should get the voucher in an email within 7 days.

Waiting to see what happens.

Not sure if BA will be aound till May 2021.

By Civil Aviation Law,any Airline that cancels a passengers flight has to give them a cash refund,the passenger can refuse a voucher for future travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Travel Notices

Thai Lion Air

Air Asia

Thai Lion Air

For passengers who has traveling period 10 April 2020 – 15 April 2020

are given the following options:1.5 Travel Validity date until 30 September 2020

Not entirely sure if my return flight is covered on the 20th of April, they have cancelled the original flight , and replaced it with one about 5 hours later which is not what

I want, I booked the flights a month ago.  

Edited by zoza

3 minutes ago, zoza said:

For passengers who has traveling period 10 April 2020 – 15 April 2020 are given the

following options:1.5 Travel Validity date until 30 September 2020

Not entirely sure if my return flight is covered on the 20th of April

May change with the situation?

11 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Expedia is so far useless, they say long cue lines/wait times on the phone. I don't think they are even trying to answer the phones. Am on hold right now with the phone beside me as I browse the computer.

Been on hold 4 times for 2 hours today. Yesterday, 6 times for 2 hours. After 2 hours I was disconnected. My son's connecting flight was canceled 5 days ago and yesterday he could n't he was refused by Finnair and they told him about the connecting flight. Today I received an email from Finnair telling me that there were several flights canceled. But we booked at Expedia and we can't get in touch with them. Will just charge back using MasterCard.