Emergency decree for Bangkok - will it happen?

CLW

In a English edition of a Thai newspaper there was an article, it could be possible that Bangkok (and possibly other cities) could be under martial law controlled by the military with strict rules to go outside.

How likely is that going to happen? 

Number of new cases in the last days don't look very good...

I hope they have the good sense to do just that, instead of hoping for the best. The problem with introducing these gradual measures, is that it takes too long to measure the impact (the numbers still aren't peaking in Italy). Safer to go all in, then scale back slowly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mass exodus has started.

Search on twitter หมอชิต (Morchit bus terminal).

Masses of people (Thai citizens and migrant workers) heading home because their businesses in Bangkok have closed.

Terrible situation right now.

One can just imagine if there is one infected person around...

People were told asked a few days ago to stay in their houses and limit social contact. Then the malls and shops and restaurants were closed. But!!  Thais have never respected rules, and its going to come back and bite them and us.  Until the Thai people themselves see this and do something we are all in danger.   So many just simply dont have a clue or dont care.  Its not going to get better. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Like they do(n't) in the UK, USA and other countries?

Actually they are doing so in the UK ( significant help with wages , rent , mortgages etc. ) I understand this also to be the case , by various degrees, in other european countries and the US.

59 minutes ago, justin case said:

the army is already in power here, since they grabbed it

Yes and no... behind the uniforms are the puppetmasters, the oligarchs who really run the show... and they'd rather keep their business running than go into a lockdown for a virus that, officially, has only killed one person... 

• Like 2

It might be too late!  When they closed everything and told people to self quarantine but didn't close off all public transportation so people couldn't leave and spread they lost containment!  Now it is out of the bottle and the masses don't have money for the test nor are there facilities or equipment in place to protect health workers! It might be too late the worse is yet to come I just hope I am wrong!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 2:53 PM, cmsally said:

Should have done that before anyone returned to the provinces.

The lead article here today is that a mass exodus is already underway. No doubt fuelled by this kind of speculation. Living in Isaan suddenly got a whole lot riskier. Our local village markets have all stopped though, presumably by Provincial Governor's order since I'm not aware of a nationwide order closing all markets.

But how on earth will these vendors survive?

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The lead article here today is that a mass exodus is already underway. No doubt fuelled by this kind of speculation. Living in Isaan suddenly got a whole lot riskier. Our local village markets have all stopped though, presumably by Provincial Governor's order since I'm not aware of a nationwide order closing all markets.

Pawn shops and loan sharks will make a killing

4 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

They are not supposed to close fresh food markets. 

I've been in the country when 3 seperate military coups happened.

Not much happened as far as I could see.

This is not really a practiced militia as there is no real war except for the SW of the country where bombs still go off.

Local policing is often done in the cities by the local motocycs for the most part & the boys in brown do not seem to have any respect whatsoever as they just shake people down.

Outside of the urban areas it's down to having a decent headsman who usually comes from decent family but for the most part a lot of country Thais will depend on their religion to show them the way.

I reckon that a lot of virus related deaths will not be recognised up country as C19 because there will be no ability to test post mortem & it will be put down as karma then they are cremated tout suite.

There is a really good chance that if this bites big time in places like Issan that it will not be registered as having happened at all.

6 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Possibly by robbing “rich” farangs ... id keep a low profile if I were you.