Emergency decree for Bangkok - will it happen?

CLW

44 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Curfew in Bangkok and other cities starting on March 26...

That is NOT true.  The PM now has an emergency decree meaning he can impose a curfew, or travel ban or ANYTHING he likes.  This is hardly new.  Thailand was run like this for about 4 years after the coup in 2014. Sure, it won't be fun, and there might be a curfew, but it hasn't happened yet.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That is NOT true.  The PM now has an emergency decree meaning he can impose a curfew, or travel ban or ANYTHING he likes.  

That information about a curfew was given by my wife, that she got from Line.

Maybe some Thais are jumping the gun and already preparing for the worst.

But indeed, for now no decision has been made regarding a curfew, or anything else.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, marin said:

People were told asked a few days ago to stay in their houses and limit social contact. Then the malls and shops and restaurants were closed. But!!  Thais have never respected rules, and its going to come back and bite them and us.  Until the Thai people themselves see this and do something we are all in danger.   So many just simply dont have a clue or dont care.  Its not going to get better. 

The same can be said re: large swaths of the populace in my own country, i.e., from political leaders at the highest levels of government to science-denying religious kooks and willfully ignorant personality cult followers, unfortunately.

It's gonna get much worse before it gets any better.

Closing down a big chunk of Bangkok and sparking a mass exodus to every corner of the country just as a pandemic takes grip will in the future come to be known as one of the biggest errors ever made by a country.

It will be used as a textbook example of what not to do in a pandemic.

• Like 1

A Curfew is going to be imposed in Bangkok from 1600 hrs Saturday until 0800 hrs Sunday morning, and every day thereafter. Police are already setting up check points and barriers. Sisters-in-law were stopped and questioned 2 km from their home in Khu Khot, Lamlukka trying to get to the pet food shop, temperatures checked, and questioned on why they were out and where they were going.

They move in here with us permanently in the Bangkok area on Sunday together with nephew and his girl-friend - we have made alterations to our house to give us 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and extra rooms for one sister to keep her dogs and one for the other to keep her washing machine etc.

We are fortunate here, this walled village is over 7 square kilometres with lots of rice fields and lakes mixed in with sois of houses, and has lots of shops and stores. So to an extent a curfew is an irrelevance as the area is not a public place and the roads are private. Others won't be so blessed! 

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@cliveshep do you have an attributable source for this news?

Yes, local police who stopped my two sisters-in-law at a checkpoint between Kho Khot Lamlukka and the next village towards Rangsit about 2 km away. A Checkpoint barrier has been set up, they were stopped, questioned as to where and why they were going (to buy dog food) and told that from Saturday night a curfew would be in force from 1600 - 0800 nightly. Apparently the police said the cut off was chosen for Saturday night as it was the last working day of the week.

Like you and many others I too would love to see notice of these things in written in intelligible English posted in on-line newspapers like Bangkok Post or The Nation but the powers-that-be seem content to post on LINE only and in Thai.

one thing also to keep in mind is that if you live in a condo and someone in the building catches covid, the entire building instantly becomes quarantined.

Apparently they'll provide the residents with food and supplies.

Some block of condos I've seen literally got 1000s of units within one area. So not only do you need to worry about not catching it yourself but also everyone in your building.

Someone just got it in the building in conjunction where my Mrs goes to seminars, not cool given there's a shared elevator.

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread

7 hours ago, Metapod said:

curfew makes no sense at all. it means more people travelling at the same time to beat the curfew and get back home, which means more contact and less isolation, which in turn means more infection

Nonsense. People can still go out for essential things such as groceries etc.

The main point of a curfew is to reduce the number of people outside and travelling.