What is the situation in Khon Kaen in re CoVID-19 shutdowns, etc.?

cthonicus

I'm moving from Bangkok to Khon Kaen at the end of this week (decided to do so about a month ago), and am curious as to restaurant delivery, supermarket, 7/11, hospital, and immigration office availability, in particular.

Also, how is the taxi situation?  My plan was to buy a car after getting settled in, but I'm wondering now if it would be a better idea to hang onto the cash in case it's needed due to exigencies, at least for now. 

Any thoughts, observations, and advice from those with direct knowledge of the situation in Khon Kaen would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Edited by cthonicus

There many times ..10 days back in the Pullman for a dtac event ... busy place and bigger than one would initially expect. 

Like anywhere u live, the key is the quality of accommodation, transport (own or other), disposable income and friends u make .. probably the best evening market in Thailand ..but guess closed now !!

I'm moving from Bangkok to Khon Kaen at the end of this week (decided to do so about a month ago), and am curious as to restaurant delivery, supermarket, 7/11, hospital, and immigration office availability, in particular.

Also, how is the taxi situation?  My plan was to buy a car after getting settled in, but I'm wondering now if it would be a better idea to hang onto the cash in case it's needed due to exigencies, at least for now. 

Any thoughts, observations, and advice from those with direct knowledge of the situation in Khon Kaen would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Well, as of noon today I think Khon Kaen is closing non-essential businesses.  (i.e. Big C non food sections, HomePro closed) ... leaving food (takeout), pharmacies, etc.  What that means as far as travelling, I have no idea.  Restaurants are delivering (some of them, I see them on 'Expats in Khon Kaen' facebook group).  Food Panda is still delivering, Grab more than likely is still operational (I use Grab for transport usually, but I have not tried it out recently).  I suspect the transit is still operational (but no first hand knowledge).  Immigration will be open. 

In normal situations - unless you really need a car -- grab works well locally.

(story in isaan news forum)

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

I hope that Grab continues to function, and that they don't refuse service to farangs.

I've been in the country since well before the CoVID-19 pandemic kicked off, but my suspicion is that many locals simply won't care . . .