Jump to content
BANGKOK
FarangRimPing

Emaux SSC Chlorinator -Best/Cheapest repair

Recommended Posts

I've been a bad boy and ignored adding salt to the pool for a long time and now my SSC chlorinator seems to be kaput (the electrode cell). 2 red lights on, which says service required. Display shows 63, which I assume means that it's running at 63% efficiency.

 

1. What is the best way to fix this?

2. What is the cheapest way to fix this?

 

I assume the answers will differ.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the 63 means... But on my SWG the display had 2 red led lights for about 2 days when I first added salt to the pool... 

I would add enough salt and just turn the pump on without the cell for a couple of days... 

Also take the cell out and clean it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the worst made chlorinators on the market. Massive warranty problems. Plus they don't produce what they are rated at! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

One of the worst made chlorinators on the market. Massive warranty problems. Plus they don't produce what they are rated at! 

So what would you suggest for each scenario?

 

For example:

1. Buy a generic replacement cell from ...

2. Replace chlorinator with Harward, BSV, Zodiac, etc?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

So what would you suggest for each scenario?

 

For example:

1. Buy a generic replacement cell from ...

2. Replace chlorinator with Harward, BSV, Zodiac, etc?

 

Thanks.

Depends on how old the machine is. Pretty sure you need to use the same brand. Take it to the shop that sold it to you. It would need to go to Pool & Spa in BKK. They are the main importer of that brand. (I had 10 machines all die on me in one condo complex. "Multiple pools" Brown outs stuff the lot of them)

 

You would need to put in a By - Pass & use chlorine till you sort it!

Edited by Bagwain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Depends on how old the machine is. Pretty sure you need to use the same brand. Take it to the shop that sold it to you. It would need to go to Pool & Spa in BKK. They are the main importer of that brand. (I had 10 machines all die on me in one condo complex. "Multiple pools" Brown outs stuff the lot of them)

 

You would need to put in a By - Pass & use chlorine till you sort it!

It's only about a year old but it was my fault that it crapped out. (I neglected the pool because I wasn't using it but let the pump run.)

 

On ebay, I saw some generic cells from Australia that are supposed to fit and are considerably cheaper (11k THB) than an original Emaux replacement cell from Lazada (18k THB).  I don't know how long it will take for shipping, considering the Covid-19 situation, though.

 

I bought cleaning solution and will try to clean the cell as suggested to see if that helps.

 

Sincere thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update... I added a lot of salt to the pool and let the pump run for 24 hours. Bought cleaning solution and cleaned the electrode cell. Ran the pump for several more hours before I turned on the chlorinator.

 

All is now working correctly and the chlorine level in the pool is good, and actually a bit too much chlorine. (I'm currently running only 1/2 of the system, the pool itself, to clear things up quickly. I have an infinity pool and did not yet run the balancing tank through the pump/filtration/chlorinator system.)

 

Thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear!!

Cells should be cleaned regularly. As you are not using the pool much, I would suggest yrly.

1st a bit of dishwashing liquid & water. Shake around to take of any grease. Then soak in a 20% acid 80% water solution to take of calcium build up. 3 - 5 minutes is fine. Then rinse with clean water.

 

In tropical conditions you need to keep your salt levels around 4,000 ppm or a tad above. Consistently low will short tthe life of the cells

Hope you pump room is well ventilated as the boards on all the main brands don't like the consistant humidity and or acid & chlorine fumes! Keep them stored elsewhere! 

Edited by Bagwain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Glad to hear!!

Cells should be cleaned regularly. As you are not using the pool much, I would suggest yrly.

1st a bit of dishwashing liquid & water. Shake around to take of any grease. Then soak in a 20% acid 80% water solution to take of calcium build up. 3 - 5 minutes is fine. Then rinse with clean water.

 

In tropical conditions you need to keep your salt levels around 4,000 ppm or a tad above. Consistently low will short tthe life of the cells

Hope you pump room is well ventilated as the boards on all the main brands don't like the consistant humidity and or acid & chlorine fumes! Keep them stored elsewhere! 

Thanks for the advice. Very good info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...