Some people still managing border runs even though I thought they were dead in the water days ago

21 minutes ago, artiz said:

I was under the impression that the 7 day visa is there for emergencies like yours. The assumption being that they can actually issue more than just one... dont quote me on it though! I would go back to immigration tomorrow and tell them you are still waiting for the letter from the British Embassy and your current visa runs out on Saturday. Try and avoid overstay at all costs... if you can possibly help it. Good luck mate!

Thanks. Last time I asked they wouldn't even give me a 7 day visa without proof of cancelled flights. 

So what am I suppose to say? 'I'd like a 7 day extension so that I can come back on Monday and get a 30 day exstension',.  

Seems whatever direction I try to go in I'm buggered. 

Maybe best to go in Monday with the support letter, and when they ask why my visa expired, say I didnt not know my flight was not possible until Saturday, so I thought I  had no reason to go in on Friday. 

Then they'll ask for proof of cancellation.. I have none since my flight is not cancelled, just unusable for me as Hong Kong are no longer accepting transfers... 

Like they'll listen to a damn thing I say anyway.. 

8 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Thanks. Last time I asked they wouldn't even give me a 7 day visa without proof of cancelled flights. 

So what am I suppose to say? 'I'd like a 7 day extension so that I can come back on Monday and get a 30 day exstension',.  

Seems whatever direction I try to go in I'm buggered. 

Maybe best to go in Monday with the support letter, and when they ask why my visa expired, say I didnt not know my flight was not possible until Saturday, so I thought I  had no reason to go in on Friday. 

Then they'll ask for proof of cancellation.. I have none since my flight is not cancelled, just unusable for me as Hong Kong are no longer accepting transfers... 

Like they'll listen to a damn thing I say anyway.. 

Sounds reasonable to do it your way of course... for me however, going to Thai immigration with an expired visa is definitely not something I would do. I would print of as much nonsense as possible including official Hong Kong announcement etc saying that you cannot fly via Hong Kong together with your ticket/flight details proving it. Put the ball in their court... just show that you have done everything you possibly can the day before your visa expires.

7 hours ago, theVenerable said:

You got 7 days due being empty handed. If had the letter you of probably gotten 30 days.

If you get the letter by Monday and went to immigration you would not be fined for an overstay since they will be closed when your permit to stay ends. After that it will be 500 baht for everyday of overstay. No repercussion in the future for a short overstay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, theVenerable said:

Visa exempt tourist entry thing.  

Expires on 28th. 

I emailed and applied for the support letter for 30 day extension. Haven't received a reply yet. So I will have to wait, and go to immigration in Monday. My visa will already be expired by that time. 

Visa Exempt you can just go and apply for 30 day extension without the letter.  At least the first time for that entry. You already qualify for that without having to do anything extra (except pay 1900 baht + passport photo).

Same is true for tourist visa entry.

not true for non-immigrant entry.  You will normally get 7 days extension, unless you have a specific reason to qualify for a longer period (visiting thai family, employment, education, etc).

or if you already did a 30 day extension for VE / TV entry.  This is where the emergency letter from is handy.

Am I correct @ubonjoe

10 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Visa Exempt you can just go and apply for 30 day extension without the letter.  At least the first time for that entry. You already qualify for that without having to do anything extra (except pay 1900 baht + passport photo).

Same is true for tourist visa entry.

not true for non-immigrant entry.  You will normally get 7 days extension, unless you have a specific reason to qualify for a longer period (visiting thai family, employment, education, etc).

or if you already did a 30 day extension for VE / TV entry.  This is where the emergency letter from is handy.

Am I correct @ubonjoe

The 7 days is not an extension. It is given after your extension application is denied.

Then your given 7 days to leave Thailand.

You were not granted an extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

You will normally get 7 days extension, unless you have a specific reason to qualify for a longer period (visiting thai family, employment, education, etc).

It not a real extension of stay. It is 7 day days to leave the country after the 1900 baht fee is paid and the extension is denied.

Normally after getting one you cannot apply for another extension but immigration may make a exception to it if a person gets the letter from their embassy.

Is it possible to fly anywhere close by right now and turn around and come immediately back on the next returning flight, and by doing so getting a new stamp (for O-visa)? I haven't been keeping up on every twist and turn. I know (believe) all land crossings are out. Unsure if there are still flights anywhere and if so does return entry to Thailand require a medical certificate and/or 14 days of quarantine (self-quarantine would be fine!)? Also true things change by the hour so it would be a rather large gamble....

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Is it possible to fly anywhere close by right now and turn around and come immediately back on the next returning flight, and by doing so getting a new stamp (for O-visa)? I haven't been keeping up on every twist and turn. I know (believe) all land crossings are out. Unsure if there are still flights anywhere and if so does return entry to Thailand require a medical certificate and/or 14 days of quarantine (self-quarantine would be fine!)? Also true things change by the hour so it would be a rather large gamble....

It is probably impossible in practice given how few flights there are. If true at all, at a minimum, you would need a Covid-19 test done by a hospital within the last 72 hours that showed you were free of the virus, plus US$100,000 (not baht) health coverage that includes coverage for Covid-19.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is probably impossible in practice given how few flights there are. If true at all, at a minimum, you would need a Covid-19 test done by a hospital within the last 72 hours that showed you were free of the virus, plus US$100,000 (not baht) health coverage that includes coverage for Covid-19.

He would not be able to enter the country now since the emergency decree went into effect.

"THAILAND - published 26.03.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Thailand.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
- This does not apply to airline crew with pre-existing schedules.
- This does not apply to diplomats and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a work permit.
- This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from PM or PIC of State of Emergency.
2. Passengers must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate to transit Thailand. The transit time must not be more than 24 hours.
3. Nationals of Thailand must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate.

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Like 1

ok well good that narrows the possibilities. As I was typing the question out I started to realize how crazy it sounded and how unlikely so it's just as I suspected. I would certainly hope the gov. would step up and end this nonsense until things settled down. If it's about the money, just let folks pay online or at the post office whatever is needed for an extension. Or even better, make the costs known and one pays either upon final departure or when it becomes feasible to do a renewal or stamp or what have you. Putting everyone at increased risk and causing undue chaos serves nothing and no one, as far as I can tell. In fact, it goes against the gov. decree to stay at home, as many have already noted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OxfordWill said:

Thought I'd mention Cambodia again. Government giving tourist extensions up to six months (30 days at a time). If you can still find a flight, although as I warned you the last one I could find was last night.

If anyone is desperate, bookings are available for BKK/PNH on 1 April with China Eastern. 1183 US 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1