Chiang Mai imposes partial lockdown

webfact

Chiang Mai imposes partial lockdown

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6GvmSg2svFEYbSAOyezKaj0z

Thailand’s norther city of Chiang Mai is to impose strict measures to limit gatherings of people in venues deemed at high risk of enabling the further spread of COVID-19.

From 6pm on Monday until, initially, April 13th, the anti-contagion measures, which are similar to those imposed today in Bangkok and five of its neighbouring provinces, will be in force.

The measures call for the closure of all educational institutes, exhibition halls, conference centres, shopping malls, sports venues, gymnasia, beauty salons, barber shops, tattoo parlours, weight loss clinics, skating and roller blade rinks, gaming and internet shops, theme parks, golf courses, driving ranges, shooting ranges, boxing and training camps, soccer fields, cinemas, bars and pubs and snooker halls.

Restaurants and food outlets offering delivery or takeaway services, hypermarkets and fresh markets can remain open.  Eateries in hotels are open for hotel guests only.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chiang-mai-imposes-partial-lockdown/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-23

It will be like driving on the left, stopping at red and abiding by speed limits. There will be no enforcement and as gk10002000 says above a huge number of people will not have the opportunity to cook and eat at home and will have to purchase food outside. Just imagine a Thai policeman trying to arrest Granny Noi for selling khao lam off the streetside as she has done for 20 years. Mayhem!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, saengd said:

I guess there will be a lot of people escaping from Bangkok and headed up this way which is not great for residents. I also expect supermarkets to be manic today as a result.

Makro HD had a line of maybe 25 people waiting to get in at 6:00AM this morning, and the parking lot was getting full when I left at 6:40AM.

1 hour ago, flare said:

Makro HD had a line of maybe 25 people waiting to get in at 6:00AM this morning, and the parking lot was getting full when I left at 6:40AM.

Oddly, the Makro in Mae Rim was the opposite but the checkout staff said the place start to get really busy around 10am and it goes down hill from there.

6 hours ago, saengd said:

I guess there will be a lot of people escaping from Bangkok and headed up this way which is not great for residents. I also expect supermarkets to be manic today as a result.

Went to Mackro this morning no busier than Sat. or Sunday/

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Was in Marko ab hour ago. I have not seen any Thais being manic ... jai yen, yen

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The measures call for the closure of all educational institutes, exhibition halls, conference centres, shopping malls, sports venues, gymnasia, beauty salons, barber shops, tattoo parlours, weight loss clinics, skating and roller blade rinks, gaming and internet shops, theme parks, golf courses, driving ranges, shooting ranges, boxing and training camps, soccer fields, cinemas, bars and pubs and snooker halls.

Did they forget zipline rides and elephant tours????  I think they need a better list!!!!  

But glad to see they didn't forget about skating rinks..... 

• Like 1

Hope you guys have got your box sets ready!  I know there is concern in the UK now that the internet will be slowed down considerably due to the excessive usage, especially when the schools are closed and many children are doing there schoolwork on line.  Add to that the people "working" from home and the rest of us spending many hours stuck in the house and I expect we will be subject to quite a few internet crashes.

Don't know about Thailand but it must have an effect there as well.  Maybe it will result in an increase in the birth rate?