Republican coronavirus bill hits roadblock in U.S. Senate; negotiations continue

webfact

Republican coronavirus bill hits roadblock in U.S. Senate; negotiations continue

2020-03-22T225344Z_1_LYNXMPEG2L0SF_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA-CONGRESS.JPG

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) talks to media after leaving the Senate floor after a meeting to wrap up work on coronavirus economic aid legislation, during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Washington, U.S., March 22, 2020. REUTERS/Mary F. Calvert

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the U.S. Senate on Sunday were voting to block a coronavirus response bill as they pushed for more funding to help hospitals and others hurt by the outbreak.

With a procedural vote still underway, the Democrats had more than the minimum 41 votes needed to stop the Republican bill from advancing.

Privately, negotiations were continuing on a revised bill after Democrats said this one was skewed too heavily toward helping corporations at the expense of workers and families.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-23
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

November cannot  come quick enough to get rid of Trump and the self protective and greedy republicans.

Again Trump is looking after the Top end of town so he and his mates can reap personal benefits.

The next brazen attempt will be delay the elections in November so trump and his mates can hang on for another twelve months with their nose in the trough and continue to fill the swamp with parasites.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tug said:

FYI nether did the dems till it was on the floor for the vote not it’s final version bottom line they don’t want it to be a stock buyback scam like trumps tax welfare break for the wealthy 

Yeah sure, so they moved to cram in loads of social justice warrior nonsense like demanding to have diversity officers in corporations. Or to mandate the ridiculous carbon emissions of airlines. 

It is precisely this kind of thing that shows just how these democrats have zero interest in helping the country. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The most important thing now is to save jobs.

Which means giving companies reasons to not fire people en masse.

Giving everyone a one time  $3000 lumpsum or whatever that nut job Schumer wants

is not gonna work.

You mean if I work for American Airlines and they go bankrupt I can't plan to stay at home and collect $3,000 for the rest of my life? I hope you aren't saying that unless these companies are saved things are going to get really grim for me.

I guess if a company like GM isn't going to get any help they should probably not halt auto production to make ventilators. It's funny when this happens and suddenly the big old give is panicking and asking the big companies to do their job. Government has no masks. Tim Cook comes up with 2 million of them out of the blue. 

Bezos runs home delivery better than the post office and is still hiring 100,000 people. Without Amazon the post office would crack. Amazon is also prioritizing only medical and essential supplies. No Amazon and the death toll climbs faster.

Companies helping the government with their tech and security and machine learning for development in vaccines. Ever been to a government website?

In another month the government will have to switch from cash disbursements to Uncle Sam bucks. 

We can live without airports and airplanes and cars. The government will just do that in the future. I have never understood the hate for private companies and this notion that the government is some wholesome virgin.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

November cannot  come quick enough to get rid of Trump and the self protective and greedy republicans.

Again Trump is looking after the Top end of town so he and his mates can reap personal benefits.

The next brazen attempt will be delay the elections in November so trump and his mates can hang on for another twelve months with their nose in the trough and continue to fill the swamp with parasites.

The dems have tried to put in a load of progressive wish list items in the bill. This will be one of the dumbest things these woke clowns have tried to do and it will backfire in spectacular fashion. The bill is intended to be an economic stimulus and to keep people and their employers from financial collapse. Anyone who thinks that social justice warrior nonsense inserted into the bill is not a sign of sabotage is an idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

The GOP just smuggled another awful provision into the stimulus

According to language in the bill forwarded to me by a senior Senate Democratic aide, this provision excludes “nonprofits receiving Medicaid expenditures,” which would not be eligible for those loans.

This language has been interpreted in some quarters as an effort to deny funding to Planned Parenthood, a longtime GOP target...

Specifically, Democratic aides believe this language would exclude from eligibility for this funding a big range of other nonprofits that get Medicaid funding, such as home and community-based disability providers; community-based nursing homes, mental health providers and health centers; group homes for the disabled; and even rape crisis centers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/23/gop-just-smuggled-another-awful-provision-into-big-stimulus-bill/

I noticed that you are ignoring the laundry list of progressive agendas inserted in the bill. 

Like installing diversity officers in corporations or renewable energy tax credits or demand for carbon emissions for airlines. 

If you think these kind of progressive pet projects are needed in a bill to bolster employees and employers you are insane. 

This will backfire on these leftists, as it should. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1