Republican coronavirus bill hits roadblock in U.S. Senate; negotiations continue

webfact

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

You seem uneducated on how things like this work.

There are always give and take in these large bills whether they are Dem. or GOP.

The title of the bill many times does not mention the small print and other negotiable items which may not actually be related to the larger bill theme.

Normal course of business.

That's what made an argument for the line item veto. I haven't heard that term in ages not sure it still exists. Anyway whatever it is they need to pass something yesterday. We can trade a few uni-sex toilets on college campuses and some really weird anti-abortion law. 

Everybody is happy. right? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You seem uneducated on how things like this work.

There are always give and take in these large bills whether they are Dem. or GOP.

The title of the bill many times does not mention the small print and other negotiable items which may not actually be related to the larger bill theme.

Normal course of business.

If you are obtuse enough to think that on the brink of the most destructive economic event in your life the following stupidity is purposely inserted to feed a ridiculous ideology you have lost your mind, let alone stating that it is business as usual. 

Here is the part of the stupidity tried by the house:

Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards

-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service

-Required early voting

-Required same day voter registration 

-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining

-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025

-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights 

-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

-Federal $15 minimum wage

-Permanent paid leave

-Study on climate change mitigation efforts 

The provisions will apply to the companies and business rescued by the bill. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I fully support the dems, in their push for more protection and more benefits for the people, over massive corporations, many of which were looking at record profits. Give the companies loans, not grants. Give the lower and middle income people grants, and the same for small business people, who live month to month and have little in the way of savings. Companies like Shell, Apple, Google and others, that have tens, or hundreds of billions of dollars on hand do not need the help. Of course, Trump will alway be there for them, and no doubt that this bill in it's present form represents a huge corporate gift. But that does not make it right, or correct. It is about the people and the small businesses. They are the ones who will really be struggling, and they are the ones who need the most help. The dews need to improve at getting the message out there. And the GOP needs to help the people, as much as they despise the poor. 

I noticed how you ignored these ridiculous things in the house bill 

Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards

-Required early voting

-Permanent paid leave

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I fully support the dems, in their push for more protection and more benefits for the people, over massive corporations, many of which were looking at record profits. Give the companies loans, not grants. Give the lower and middle income people grants, and the same for small business people, who live month to month and have little in the way of savings. Companies like Shell, Apple, Google and others, that have tens, or hundreds of billions of dollars on hand do not need the help. Of course, Trump will alway be there for them, and no doubt that this bill in it's present form represents a huge corporate gift. But that does not make it right, or correct. It is about the people and the small businesses. They are the ones who will really be struggling, and they are the ones who need the most help. The dews need to improve at getting the message out there. And the GOP needs to help the people, as much as they despise the poor. 

Apple and Google also won't ask for or receive any. They print money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tug said:

FYI nether did the dems till it was on the floor for the vote not it’s final version bottom line they don’t want it to be a stock buyback scam like trumps tax welfare break for the wealthy 

Please quote the exact provisions that demonstrate that. Can't? Anybody?

Maybe folks should try posting original anaylses instead of basicly "Rachel Maddow said, Cuomo said, Lemon said, etc." Thinking for yourself is fun! Try it! 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

I noticed how you ignored these ridiculous things in the house bill 

-Required early voting

-Permanent paid leave

The post office at this point only functions to deliver junk mail. Occasionally they deliver something like your vehicle tax or the census. However it is 99% pre-approved credit card offers. With digital communication, Fed ex and Amazon the Post office doesn't really do anything. 

Nobody goes to the post office Amazon and Fed Ex pick it up and do it for less, and also have pick up and drop off locations. The locations stay open 7 days a week. offer generous business hours and are closer than the Post Office and treat you like a a respected customer.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

Lest we forget. In October 2008 as the Treasury Dept began to see the world's banks began to freeze on their computer screens, Hank Paulson headed a task force to develop a urgent $700 billion rescue package to literally save the world. It was ready by Monday. The world would have been saved except for Nancy Pelosi's refusal to sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I use the post office alot. Amazon or Fedex are not capable of delivering a letter for under 50 cents. I send checks, and pay bills by mail, sometimes. Also, I can send a priority mail package for under $10. Cost three times that with fedex, and double that with UPS. In addition, the USPS is the only service that offers something bordering on reasonable, for international shipments. I have boxes shipped here a few times a year using international priority express mail, via USPS. $40 or so for a small box, and it only takes a couple of weeks. I am grateful for the US postal service. 

You are old school and quickly becoming the minority. Paperless billing is the way to go. The USPS would never be able to provide the service to the people right now as Amazon does. Order your essentials in the next 30 minutes get FREE delivery by 2 pm tomorrow. 

It's apple's and oranges. Amazon also doesn't need a bail out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Let's just hope the virus destroys the world. Before the dems take over and things get really bad. 

Thats so mean dude, thats so mean. ???? But, sadly true.

I could make all sorts of truly shocking TRUTHFUL comments about the virus and who it affects and the politics of that, but that would make me so universaly condemned that I would need to change my name to Milo. But, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

More CNN fuelled nonsense.

Dems have voted against urgent relief because it didn't include:

Planned Parenthood funding

I won't go into the other ones but what the proposed bill says is to deny aid to any Medicaid-funded business not just Planned Parenthood.  Why are Medicaid funded businesses singled out during a pandemic? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You are old school and quickly becoming the minority. Paperless billing is the way to go. The USPS would never be able to provide the service to the people right now as Amazon does. Order your essentials in the next 30 minutes get FREE delivery by 2 pm tomorrow. 

It's apple's and oranges. Amazon also doesn't need a bail out.

I like Amazon too. Their service is amazing. I do object to their packaging, which is way over the top. But, they are good. However, they are not a substitute for the guy I need to send a check to for my garage rental, nor the book I need to ship, at book rate, which is really cheap, nor the occasional package I need to ship overseas. The post office still serves a very useful function for millions every day. 

And let us hope none of the bailout money goes to Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Facebook, or any of the other giants that are making more money that most can count. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I like Amazon too. Their service is amazing. I do object to their packaging, which is way over the top. But, they are good. However, they are not a substitute for the guy I need to send a check to for my garage rental, nor the book I need to ship, at book rate, which is really cheap, nor the occasional package I need to ship overseas. The post office still serves a very useful function for millions every day. 

And let us hope none of the bailout money goes to Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Facebook, or any of the other giants that are making more money that most can count. 

It's the airlines. They have never been good business. Too many risks.  Amazon basically functions as the de facto medical, food, and essential goods distributor. Google and Apple... will have more money than the government soon if this keeps up.

Here is what one of the greatest CEO of all time said about the company he ran American Airlines.

“I’ve never invested in any airline. I’m an airline manager. I don’t invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, ‘This is not an appropriate investment. It’s a great place to work and it’s a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.’”

-Robert Crandall

Agreed on Amazon's packaging however these days it is made out of very young trees. We have more wood pulp than you can shake a box at these days and it's sustainable.

For this maybe the government should get involved airlines will always have problems weather, war, disease, economics, fuel prices... 

The airlines have to be bailed out that isn't even in question.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Have you read the bill? Good, you can help us all and provide us with each and every provision that is skewed towards big corps vis a vis working citizenss.

If you cant, then as usual, its just another biased rant based on someone elses thoughts.

You've invited the question....have you read the bill?  If you haven't you won't be able to tell if he has.  Who's on first?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

More CNN fuelled nonsense.

Dems have voted against urgent relief because it didn't include:

Planned Parenthood funding

A bailout for the Post Office

Crippling new airline regulations

Solar & wind tax credits

Playing politics while Trump plays to beat this crisis.

Do you have a source for your claims?

48 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

If you are obtuse enough to think that on the brink of the most destructive economic event in your life the following stupidity is purposely inserted to feed a ridiculous ideology you have lost your mind, let alone stating that it is business as usual. 

Here is the part of the stupidity tried by the house:

-Required early voting

-Permanent paid leave

The topic is the Senate bill.  I'm sure at some time or another Representatives have tried to get some of your list into a House bill, but not as stated ("Required early voting"?  As in "Voter early or you go to jail"?  I doubt it.)  However that is not the topic.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats so mean dude, thats so mean. ???? But, sadly true.

I could make all sorts of truly shocking TRUTHFUL comments about the virus and who it affects and the politics of that, but that would make me so universaly condemned that I would need to change my name to Milo. But, feel free to PM me.

I suspect, as it is you overestimate your current standing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1