Republican coronavirus bill hits roadblock in U.S. Senate; negotiations continue

webfact

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats not how journalism works but if that "fact" fits your worldview, good for you. But it looks like  its more your inability to just admit your political bias exists. 

Yes, it is how journalism works.  For an inconsequential "man on the street" interview the reporter will ask permission to use the persons name and, if allowed, give the name.  It enhances the credibility of the interview.

If "A senior Republican Senate aide" is not named, it is because the aide asked to remain anonymous.

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, sirineou said:

The democrats are trying to get relief to the people who most need it, and the Republicans want to give the money to corporations AGAIN!!!!

The Democrats  want to include a $200 increase in SS payments until 2021 to assist the elderly and  disabled, and Mcconnell wants to tie it to the 2018 tax  return, knowing damn well that  anyone that started receiving SS after that date will not get it even if they need it,  And that many receiving SS might not have filed that year.

He says it for transparency so that $200 will not go to those who don't need it. At the same time he is trying to pass a 1/2 a trillion slush fund  for trump to distribute to whom ever he likes and he does not have to tell as who gets it for six months. 

You all might be stupid enough to buy what trump and the republicans are selling but we are not buying it!!!

seeing you are so wise please explain to the rest of us how a climate change study on aviation and a 35 million dollar fund for a performing arts center are CORONA virus related that the democrats have attached to the bill...let alone who knows how many more items in their 1100 page bill....And why the funding for corona virus should be held up to make sure these democrat agenda items go through....

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, theonetrueaussie said:

seeing you are so wise please explain to the rest of us how a climate change study on aviation and a 35 million dollar fund for a performing arts center are CORONA virus related that the democrats have attached to the bill...let alone who knows how many more items in their 1100 page bill....And why the funding for corona virus should be held up to make sure these democrat agenda items go through....

Where is your proof any of that is true?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Everything in the US is affected by the Virus  including the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. So let's see 35 million to support the performing arts that have being shut down like everything else in this country, as opposed to a 500,000,000 million slush fund for trump to do doll out without accountability.

If the democrats spend 35 million on the performing arts every day , do you know how many years it would take them to spend 500,000,000?????

if I did my math right 41,000 years. 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

The Kennedy Center is a US national cultural center - got it?

Well the folks on the social register in wealthy Wash DC can pay to keep it going until this stuff is done.

The Bunny Ranch in Nevada is a cultural instituiton too, but  the girls arent getting $35 million.

But the bill is passed in the senate and I await the complaints.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Susco said:

And

Schumer’s office added that the deal will “prohibit businesses controlled by the President, Vice President, Members of Congress, and heads of Executive Departments from receiving loans or investments from Treasury programs.”

There is one trump apologist who reacted negatively to my post, apparently he thinks that oversight is totally unnecessary and that we should trust trump, because we all know he is a stable genius who  never lies and never cheats .

INCREDIBLE!!!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

The center has to close which means loss of income from ticket sales, refunds for performance bookings, restaurant closure and so on. I guess you're aware the Oz government funds national and regional arts activity and centres. The Kennedy Center is a US national cultural center - got it?

https://www.kennedy-center.org/

oh so what about all the other museums...food trucks..cafes...restaurants...builders etc etc that have had to close as well....are they all going to get 35 million as well and if not WHAT makes the kennedy center so important that it had to delay the entire corona virus relief package!! GOT IT??

Edited by theonetrueaussie
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

oh so what about all the other museums...food trucks..cafes...restaurants...builders etc etc that have had to close as well....are they all going to get 35 million as well and if not WHAT makes the kennedy center so important that it had to delay the entire corona virus relief package!! GOT IT??

Where is the proof the Kennedy Centre funding, was the sole reason for delaying the Covid package? There were numerous other items, including preventing trump having control of $500 billion without independent oversight which had to be resolved.  Regards your other comments obviously you are unaware additional funds are being provided to SMEs which BTW the Dems fought for.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Ya gotta love this Fox News headline:

Coronavirus bill hits hurdles as Sanders threatens to stall package over bid to change unemployment aid

Bernie Sanders said Wednesday afternoon he might torpedo the Senate's compromise stimulus package unless Republican senators dropped their objections about what they called a "massive drafting error" related to unemployment benefits, in the latest twist to a process that has been marked by delays and last-minute hurdles.

“In my view, it would be an outrage to prevent working-class Americans to receive the emergency unemployment assistance included in this legislation," Sanders said in a statement, also posted on social media.

"Unless these Republican Senators drop their objections, I am prepared to put a hold on this bill until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund to make sure that any corporation receiving financial assistance under this legislation does not lay off workers, cut wages or benefits, ship jobs overseas, or pay workers poverty wages," he continued.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sanders-threatens-to-stall-coronavirus-package-over-gop-bid-to-change-unemployment-aid

The real story is that 4 Republican Senators, Lindsey Graham, Tim Scott, Ben Sasse and Rick Scott objected to the unemployment benefits as being too generous to lower income workers. So Sanders responded. They claim it's an "error".

Actually, as another of Rupert Murdoch's new sites reported it's no such thing. 

"Taylor Foy, a GOP spokesman for the Senate Finance Committee, said it was not an error, and that the $600 across-the-board increase was done because every state has a different unemployment program and creating a program for each state would take too much time."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-administration-senate-democrats-said-to-reach-stimulus-bill-deal-11585113371?mod=hp_lead_pos2&mod=article_inline&mod=hp_lead_pos5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The real story is, because both sides failed to send a a clean emergency UBI Bill to the White House and instead chose to slug it out over all their sacred cows while holding a gun to poor and working class people's heads, the citizenry is once again <deleted>.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

The real story is, because both sides failed to send a a clean emergency UBI Bill to the White House and instead chose to slug it out over all their sacred cows while holding a gun to poor and working class people's heads, the citizenry is once again <deleted>.

Total B.S. Why do you keep sticking to that both-sidesism narrative? 4 Republican Senators are threatening to delay the bill because of unemployment benefits that they deem are too generous. That's all that's holding it up. 

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Total B.S. Why do you keep sticking to that both-sidesism narrative? 4 Republican Senators are threatening to delay the bill because of unemployment benefits that they deem are too generous. That's all that's holding it up. 

That's all that's holding up a still bad bill.  They should have taken care of the people first in a clean bill. They could have fought over this one a lot longer without that gun to the people's heads.  Food for families grouped with corporate pork? Why? Democrats could have taken a MUCH harder line against the corporate largesse if the citizen's benefit had been decoupled from the start. Think about it.

Edited by lannarebirth

58 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

That's all that's holding up a still bad bill.  They should have taken care of the people first in a clean bill. They could have fought over this one a lot longer without that gun to the people's heads.  Food for families grouped with corporate pork? Why? Democrats could have taken a MUCH harder line against the corporate largesse if the citizen's benefit had been decoupled from the start. Think about it.

Actually the most important part of the bill is not the citizens' benefit but the unemployment benefit. And that's what the Republicans were fighting against and a few still are fighting against.

Just now, bristolboy said:

Actually the most important part of the bill is not the citizens' benefit but the unemployment benefit. And that's what the Republicans were fighting against and a few still are fighting against.

Yeah, but the "additional" unemployment benefit is on top of regular unemployment benefits and the stipend too. It certainly could have been sent in full, applied to a retroactive date once hashed out. The additional money would not have been lost to these people.

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Yeah, but the "additional" unemployment benefit is on top of regular unemployment benefits and the stipend too. It certainly could have been sent in full, applied to a retroactive date once hashed out. The additional money would not have been lost to these people.

Do you know  that low wage Americans have virtually no savings? What do they do for food and shelter until then negotiations are "hashed out."? If, in fact, they would get hashed out.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

He's "sticking" to it because it is true. I know you want to think the dems are much more virtuous and intelligent with no agendas, but reality has a way of tearing down the facade 

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Do you know  that low wage Americans have virtually no savings? What do they do for food and shelter until then negotiations are "hashed out."? If, in fact, they would get hashed out.

Yeah, you're making my point. They should have had money last week. Food first, bills second. Most utilities, banks, mortgage servicers have offered relief, either through suspension of late payments or suspension of payments altogether. I myself have offered over $20,000 in rent relief (not deferral) to my tenants. Only half have taken me up on it though as some are "essential" businesses and still open.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Yeah, you're making my point. They should have had money last week. Food first, bills second. Most utilities, banks, mortgage servicers have offered relief, either through suspension of late payments or suspension of payments altogether. I myself have offered over $20,000 in rent relief (not deferral) to my tenants. Only half have taken me up on it though as some are "essential" businesses and still open.

With no guarantee that they would ever get those supplemental payments? Eventually their bills would come due.

25 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

OK, we through now?  

Not quite. Your assumption rests on the fact that Republicans would have given way on the corporate bailouts in the first round of negotiations in order to simply get payments to the American public. And that corporate bailouts would be the subject of the second round of negotiations. What is there in the way Republicans have consistently favored the wealthy and the powerful (see last piece of tax legislation) that makes you believe that they would ever have relented and let a simple grant of money to Americans go through?

• Sad 1