Republican coronavirus bill hits roadblock in U.S. Senate; negotiations continue

webfact

25 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Do you know  that low wage Americans have virtually no savings? What do they do for food and shelter until then negotiations are "hashed out."? If, in fact, they would get hashed out.

It's not only low-wage Americans who have no savings, if some of the figures are correct. It's frightening. I have a "middle-class" younger sister who is always grubbing for money.  She needs it to pay off a 30 foot travel trailer and the $40,000 truck to pull it and her husband's Harley-Davidson motorcycle and a mortgage that should have been paid off 10 years ago.  I have no sympathy.  I drive a 1998 Toyota pickup truck and get along just fine.  No debt, no "retirement pay" other than US social security.  I could write a check for $100,000 tomorrow, she can't.  It pays to be conservative.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Thank you.  You proved my point.

You posted: 

"Here is the part of the stupidity tried by the house:

Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards

-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service

-Required early voting

-Required same day voter registration 

-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining

-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025

-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights 

-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

-Federal $15 minimum wage

-Permanent paid leave

-Study on climate change mitigation efforts 

The provisions will apply to the companies and business rescued by the bill. "

None of this is in your link.  However this is:

"The Democrats' latest bill, which is more than 1,400 pages long, would prevent corporations from using taxpayer money for stock buybacks, boost unemployment insurance, strengthen the child and earned income tax credits and inject nearly $40 billion into schools and universities to stabilize funding. It also directs billions of dollars in grant funding for states to carry out this year's election through the Election Assistance Commission. "

I agree with those inclusions.

If you read the actual pdf file, you would know that you are very wrong if you were not so disingenuous. 

15 dollars Minimum wage is on page 741

Postal service bailout is on page 896

Early voting is on page 818

Airlines emissions are in section 704

Greenhouse gas emissions for airlines is in section 706

Retirement plans for community newspapers starts on page 1170

Climate change mitigation is on page 982 

Collective bargaining begins on page 908 and is in 55 different references. 

Just have the integrity to know when you are wrong.

There is no justification for this progressive pet projects and they will be paying for it in November.

Bruce, just take a moment and let yourself realize that you were wrong,if the virtue signaling pseudo intellectual ideology will allow you to. 

Have a great day. Stay safe. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chiphigh said:

If you read the actual pdf file, you would know that you are very wrong if you were not so disingenuous. 

There is no justification for this progressive pet projects and they will be paying for it in November.

Bruce, just take a moment and let yourself realize that you were wrong,if the virtue signaling pseudo intellectual ideology will allow you to. 

And do you have the integrity to acknowledge that the Republicans were also stuffing the bill with their pet projects?

And of course the difference between most of the Democrats' pet projects and those of Republicans is that their would have benefited ordinary Americans the most and not the 1 percent.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And do you have the integrity to acknowledge that the Republicans were also stuffing the bill with their pet projects?

And of course the difference between most of the Democrats' pet projects and those of Republicans is that their would have benefited ordinary Americans the most and not the 1 percent.

I do. Common ground, yeah!

2 hours ago, Chiphigh said:

No, I didn't see the pdf file, or read the 1000 page document.  I assume those things are in there.  Had McConnell not been blocking House bills since the last election they might not have been.

I assume the 880 page Senate bill has comparable goodies for the Republicans.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a pdf of the Senate bill for the public to review.

Edited by heybruce

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

No, I didn't see the pdf file, or read the 1000 page document.  I assume those things are in there.  Had McConnell not been blocking House bills since the last election they might not have been.

I assume the 880 page Senate bill has comparable goodies for the Republicans.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a pdf of the Senate bill for the public to review.

That is quite a sad weak deflection about the senate blocking legislation that the house knows would never pass. 

But, hey Bruce, if you can keep making false claims about what was in the house bill, I guess it doesn't matter. 

You like to preen about facts and sources, then ignore them when it's not suitable for your narrative. 

Edited by Chiphigh
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

That is quite a sad weak deflection about the senate blocking legislation that the house knows would never pass. 

But, hey Bruce, if you can keep making false claims about what was in the house bill, I guess it doesn't matter. 

You like to preen about facts and sources, then ignore them when it's not suitable for your narrative. 

McConnell has refused to bring bi-partisan bills, including one that lowers the cost of prescription drugs, a priority of Trump, to the Senate floor. 

What false claims did I make about what was in the House bill?

For all the sane members out there; I just watched a video with Dennis Miller. He says , and I agree, he is no longer trying to convince anybody of anything. It's a waste of time. What I can say is that: anybody who wants to support a Green New Deal, and the Democratic Progressive manifesto, really, really needs to come to their senses. It spells disaster for the USA. BTW  Bernie just nailed his last nail today. Do you really think that the Dems, AOC, Pelosi, Schumer, Schiff have the best interest of the USA at heart?  Really?

Green New Deal? Kennedy Performing Arts Center?  Yeah that will help boost main street America.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Can you please list them in the bill, with page numbers. 

Thank you 

14 hours ago, heybruce said:

McConnell has refused to bring bi-partisan bills, including one that lowers the cost of prescription drugs, a priority of Trump, to the Senate floor. 

What false claims did I make about what was in the House bill?

"None of this is in your link."... And it clearly is. 

And I would like the prescription drug bill passed. If we weren't busy with an unfounded impeachment farce in January, it might have already been done. The senate had their own prescription drug bill in September. 

But we know that wasn't the most important thing to do was it?

30 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

"None of this is in your link."... And it clearly is. 

And I would like the prescription drug bill passed. If we weren't busy with an unfounded impeachment farce in January, it might have already been done. The senate had their own prescription drug bill in September. 

But we know that wasn't the most important thing to do was it?

So would I. The one passed by the House with virtually no Republican support. Ya know, the bill that would allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices. That was one of issues Trump campaigned on. But almost immediately after he was elected he reneged on that.

And then there's this:

McConnell: GOP has 'internal divisions' on bill to lower drug prices

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday said Senate Republicans have “internal divisions” on a bill to lower drug prices and that he does not know yet whether the measure will get a vote. 

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) for months has been calling for action on his bipartisan bill to lower drug prices with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), noting that it is also backed by the White House and could help vulnerable Republicans in their reelection campaigns. 

When asked whether he would bring the bill to the floor, McConnell told reporters there are “internal divisions within my party in the Senate” that must be resolved on both that bill and another health care measure aimed at protecting patients from surprise medical bills." 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/482645-mcconnell-gop-has-internal-divisions-on-bill-to-lower-drug-prices

And you know who Alex Azar is? He's the Secretary of Health & Human Services. He was the CEO of Eli Lilly. Eli Lilly is responsible for massive price increases in the cost of insulin. Lots of diabetic voters out there.

And of course you're ignoring the biggest issue of all when it comes to Trump and health care: affordable coverage for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump supports repeal of Obamacare via a lawsuit seeking to invalidate it. He has repeated claimed that he has a better plan that offers cheaper coverage and covers pre-existing conditions but has never divulged what that plan is. (Instead when asked, he obfuscates.) Health care is the biggest reason that the Democrats took back the House in a big way in 2018. What Republicans are offering is peanuts compared to the Democratic plan.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So would I. The one passed by the House with virtually no Republican support. Ya know, the bill that would allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices. That was one of issues Trump campaigned on. But almost immediately after he was elected he reneged on that.

And then there's this:

McConnell: GOP has 'internal divisions' on bill to lower drug prices

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday said Senate Republicans have “internal divisions” on a bill to lower drug prices and that he does not know yet whether the measure will get a vote. 

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) for months has been calling for action on his bipartisan bill to lower drug prices with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), noting that it is also backed by the White House and could help vulnerable Republicans in their reelection campaigns. 

When asked whether he would bring the bill to the floor, McConnell told reporters there are “internal divisions within my party in the Senate” that must be resolved on both that bill and another health care measure aimed at protecting patients from surprise medical bills." 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/482645-mcconnell-gop-has-internal-divisions-on-bill-to-lower-drug-prices

And you know who Alex Azar is? He's the Secretary of Health & Human Services. He was the CEO of Eli Lilly. Eli Lilly is responsible for massive price increases in the cost of insulin. Lots of diabetic voters out there.

And of course you're ignoring the biggest issue of all when it comes to Trump and health care: affordable coverage for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump supports repeal of Obamacare via a lawsuit seeking to invalidate it. He has repeated claimed that he has a better plan that offers cheaper coverage and covers pre-existing conditions but has never divulged what that plan is. (Instead when asked, he obfuscates.) Health care is the biggest reason that the Democrats took back the House in a big way in 2018. What Republicans are offering is peanuts compared to the Democratic plan.

So this is more important than the unfounded impeachment attempts that paralyzed the government for 3 months? 

6 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

So this is more important than the unfounded impeachment attempts that paralyzed the government for 3 months? 

And then there's this:

"Throughout the fall, Grassley said that he asked White House advisers to get Trump involved in winning support for the legislation and speaking publicly about it, but that they were reluctant to involve Trump to that degree. Grassley said he “never got a good reason” as to why advisers did not want to involve the president."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/18/trumps-support-bipartisan-senate-drug-pricing-bill-might-not-be-enough-push-it-into-law/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

And then there's this:

"Throughout the fall, Grassley said that he asked White House advisers to get Trump involved in winning support for the legislation and speaking publicly about it, but that they were reluctant to involve Trump to that degree. Grassley said he “never got a good reason” as to why advisers did not want to involve the president."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/18/trumps-support-bipartisan-senate-drug-pricing-bill-might-not-be-enough-push-it-into-law/

You mean while he was being impeached for unfounded reasons and being investigated for more unfounded reasons he did not act on the time line you want? 

Imagine that. 

Perhaps the leftists should concentrate on policies instead of unfounded political attacks? 

Just a thought... 

1 minute ago, Chiphigh said:

Did you read the part that he does not have the votes needed to get it through? 

Wow. Someone is making very confused arguments. You claimed that it was the fault of impeachment that the bill didn't pass. Now it's that there aren't enough votes in the Senate.

22 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Not quite. Your assumption rests on the fact that Republicans would have given way on the corporate bailouts in the first round of negotiations in order to simply get payments to the American public. And that corporate bailouts would be the subject of the second round of negotiations. What is there in the way Republicans have consistently favored the wealthy and the powerful (see last piece of tax legislation) that makes you believe that they would ever have relented and let a simple grant of money to Americans go through?

Apparently Republicans were never threatened with giving way on the payments as Democrats were in wide agreement. The only negotiating point was the oversight. HILL.TV pretty good today.       

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/489602-rising-march-26-2020

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

Did you read the part that he does not have the votes needed to get it through? 

Do you realize that that it's support from Republican Senators that's lacking including Mitch McConnell?

"Rather than touting his own opposition to Grassley’s bill, McConnell is most interested in whether his members can prevail politically."

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/16/drug-pricing-republicans-trump-084502

7 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

You mean while he was being impeached for unfounded reasons and being investigated for more unfounded reasons he did not act on the time line you want? 

Imagine that. 

Perhaps the leftists should concentrate on policies instead of unfounded political attacks? 

Just a thought... 

Bill Clinton managed to do constructive work while he was being impeached. Whose fault is it that Trump can't Tweet and chew gum at the same time?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Wow. Someone is making very confused arguments. You claimed that it was the fault of impeachment that the bill didn't pass. Now it's that there aren't enough votes in the Senate.

I did not say it was the only reason, but you keep trying sunshine. It certainly doesn't help to get bills passed with bipartisan support when you are engaged in the most partisan unfounded attack in history. 

4 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

I did not say it was the only reason, but you keep trying sunshine. It certainly doesn't help to get bills passed with bipartisan support when you are engaged in the most partisan unfounded attack in history. 

Really? But oddly enough it was the only reason you raised in the first place. Senate Democrats mostly support the Senate Bill. The real obstacle lies in the Republican camp. Trying to blame the Democrats for this delay is nonsense. And the Democratic bill in the House is far superior. You know, the one that supports allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices with Big Pharma. What Trump originally backed before he reneged on it after the election and even before taking office.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 2

Bill Clinton managed to do constructive work while he was being impeached. Whose fault is it that Trump can't Tweet and chew gum at the same time?

Bill Clinton had the advantage of a republican controlled house and senate during this time, so getting things done was much easier, I guess you ignored that fact. 

Oh those pesky facts... 

Really? But oddly enough it was the only reason you raised in the first place. Senate Democrats mostly support the Senate Bill. The real obstacle lies in the Republican camp. Trying to blame the Democrats for this delay is nonsense. And the Democratic bill in the House is far superior. You know, the one that supports allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices with Big Pharma. What Trump originally backed before he reneged on it after the election and even before taking office.

I did not "blame" anyone or anything else, other than the unfounded impeachment /coup attempt. 

It is obvious that if presented with a bill to sign he would. 

So what are the reasons for not having enough gop votes in the Senate?

Stop the emotional irrational outrage of the orange man bad syndrome and deal with that, then see where it leads. 

4 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

Bill Clinton had the advantage of a republican controlled house and senate during this time, so getting things done was much easier, I guess you ignored that fact. 

Oh those pesky facts... 

Well apart from the nonsensical basis of your assertion that Republicans are more willing to cooperate (like after the onset of the Great Recession when they actually called for austerity and opposed financial stimulus when Obama was in office) it doesn't even make sense even on its own terms since Trump has not been putting pressure on REPUBLICAN Senators to pass the bill.

• Like 2

Bonanza for Rich Real Estate Investors, Tucked Into Stimulus Package

It also includes a potential bonanza for America’s richest real estate investors.

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/bonanza-for-rich-real-estate-investors-tucked-into-stimulus-package/ar-BB11L4im

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Well apart from the nonsensical basis of your assertion that Republicans are more willing to cooperate (like after the onset of the Great Recession when they actually called for austerity and opposed financial stimulus when Obama was in office) it doesn't even make sense even on its own terms since Trump has not been putting pressure on REPUBLICAN Senators to pass the bill.

I did not assert anything, you inferred it with the usual bias. Obviously having both the house and senate is an advantage to get things done. 

But maybe after this crisis is over, it will be done. I am sure you will still moan and bash the man who you obviously have an emotional irrational hatred for regardless of what happens. 

How will you survive until 2024 with this rage? 

Edited by Chiphigh

6 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

I did not "blame" anyone or anything else, other than the unfounded impeachment /coup attempt. 

It is obvious that if presented with a bill to sign he would. 

So what are the reasons for not having enough gop votes in the Senate?

Stop the emotional irrational outrage of the orange man bad syndrome and deal with that, then see where it leads. 

The senate had their own prescription drug bill in September."

Please, how feeble can you get. Maybe if you had just called it by some neutral term like "impeachment attempt" you might have a point. Well half a point. But categorizing it the way you did -  "If we weren't busy with an unfounded impeachment farce in January, it might have already been done" --obviously reveals the ludicrousness of your current effort to claim that citing it wasn't political in nature and that you weren't blaming anybody. It is to laugh.

And it's a typical ploy of people who haven't got the facts behind them to try and make it personal by making such statements as "Stop the emotional irrational outrage of the orange man bad syndrome and deal with that". You've got nothing. 

• Like 2