Covid-19 mass exodus from Bangkok: Thousands pack Mo Chit bus station last night

webfact

Covid-19 mass exodus from Bangkok: Thousands pack Mo Chit bus station last night

4pm2_VI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that Mo Chit bus station was packed with people returning to the provinces last night. 

TNA said there were 80,000 - many of them workers returning to neighboring countries. 

Platforms carrying people to the north east or "Isaan" region were particularly full of people. 

The scenes resembled what happens every year as people return home for Songkran in April, notes Thaivisa. Few people had booked in advance and were queueing for tickets.

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

But this year it was not the Thai holidays that was causing the mass exodus but the fact that much of Bangkok has simply been shut down for 22 days to try and limit the spread of the coronavirus. 

One Laotian lady spoke to Sanook saying she had no work and besides their father was sick so it was time to go home to Laos. 

Officials at Mo Chit - the busiest bus station in Thailand - were checking temperatures of passengers entering the facility, sanitising hands with gel and giving advice, particularly about the wearing of masks. 

But people were pictured crammed together on platforms with little regard for social distancing.

Many fear that the outbreak, hitherto felt most keenly in Bangkok, may now move to the provinces, notes Thaivisa. 

Sources: Sanook | MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-23

Even as we know the government, with Super-Anutin leading the sheeps, have all 100 % under control. We also know that they totally lost the plot.

That as well as we can be 100 % sure over, that the search for human intelligence must go on. It has still not been found. Last nights search in the Mor Chit area of Bangkok failed miserably. 

But don´t worry. There is a CLEAR message!

image.png.e98c31dcc16d062b88f3fdb26db204d4.png

• Like 2

The DPH have been dutifully publishing the daily, national, exponential increases in +ve cases while the government has made no significant comment. Buriram's provincial governor instituted a regimen of health screening that appears to have contradicted the government's largely unstated opinion on not restricting the movement of people. It remains officially unchallenged.

Then the Bangkok governor, without any notice, has decided to implement across-the-board business closings that has initiated an exodus that will seriously imperil the best efforts of provincial governments, doctors, nurses and health care workers. The government is notably even more silent.

Apart from a former MInister of Health saying we should trust in 'team Thailand' (whatever the heck that is) and the PM's spokesperson saying that he will take decisive action at the right time, the lower-order government leaders and functionaries are openly bypassing him and his government of incompetents.

If there's anyone in the neighborhood, can you pop over to Government House and check if there's actually anyone at home? I wouldn't put it past certain personages and entities to exercise all sorts of executive privilege and shoot off somewhere (slightly) less infected. I mean there's loads of empty seats on outbound flights these days and no need for non-existent certificates to get one either.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

But I think for Thailand this has now defaulted to the "herd" approach. if you get sick, fine, deal with it. If you die, too bad.

It's what my mother in law told me when I asked for the 5th times in the last 2 months why she don't buy a little bit extra food. It's a good thing my freezer has a lock. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2