UPDATE: How to obtain a COVID-19 Visa Extension Letter from the British Embassy Bangkok

On 3/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife that does not require the letter.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

Can this extension also be granted if the visa itself is not expired? For example my permission to stay expires on May 30, but the visa is valid until September... 

Just trying to plan ahead

37 minutes ago, Quack said:

Can this extension also be granted if the visa itself is not expired? For example my permission to stay expires on May 30, but the visa is valid until September... 

Just trying to plan ahead

The extension is based on the entry/Permit to Stay. You can make one 60 day extension on each entry. 

Do we then email [email protected] the PDF of the letter and our passport biodata page? They lookup and validate eligibility and the information in against their computer database, add an extension to the database, and advise the application to have their passport phyiscally updated after 1 May at any immigration or airport? Amazing Thailand. 

Edited by dsf9

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Have you really just posted that?

It's blatantly obvious that it will be via email ????

I gather it's a PDF.  I wouldn't say it was blatantly obvious, the UK embassy in Bangkok has been known to adopt local traditions with regards to logic, discretion and efficiency. 

Edited by dsf9

4 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Have you really just posted that?

It's blatantly obvious that it will be via email ????

Thai immigration want the original letter , not a downloaded and printed letter , thats what I "really" posted that 

On 3/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, greggraham said:

USA only want "a copy of the biodata page of your passport", 

Has USA embassy Bangkok offered such a letter ? I have looked this morning and haven't been able to find any such notification.

2 minutes ago, dsf9 said:

I gather it's a PDF.  I wouldn't say it was blatantly obvious, the UK embassy in Bangkok has been known to adopt local traditions with regards to logic, discretion and efficiency. 

It says you will receive the letter within 2 days

They DON'T ask you for a address in Thailand so it's obvious they are not posting it to you

So yes it is blatantly obvious it will be sent via email

God help the Embassy at the moment - they are going to be inundated with stupid questions

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It says you will receive the letter within 2 days

They DON'T ask you for a address in Thailand so it's obvious they are not posting it to you

So yes it is blatantly obvious it will be sent via email

God help the Embassy at the moment - they are going to be inundated with stupid questions

Copies of letters are being rejected by Thai immigration, there have been numerous reports of rejections for people not having original documents .

Do try to keep up to date with info 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, john thom said:

yes they have- [email protected], send them photo of bio page and they will email you letter

Did they post notice on embassy web site? Or send notice via email (I'm on embassy mailing list). I looked and can't find notice anywhere.

But thanks for the tip. I appreciate it !

Edited by Geeyore

Ok, ive been direct  to this thread, I have a non b expiring end of april, all this post  mentions is tourist visas, with a cancelled flight what about people with  non b  visas and no flight do they want me to book one so it can get cancelled .. id still have the wrong visa.

what about non b people??

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thai immigration want the original letter , not a downloaded and printed letter , thats what I "really" posted that 

There is a post on facebook, ostensibly, from immigration rep. suggesting they want a screen capture of email header in lieu of the original document (which will be stamped, presumably) as proof of legit addresse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jaffas21 said:

Ok, ive been direct  to this thread, I have a non b expiring end of april, all this post  mentions is tourist visas, with a cancelled flight what about people with  non b  visas and no flight do they want me to book one so it can get cancelled .. id still have the wrong visa.

Are you on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa? Do you have a single or multiple entry visa/

You could apply for an extension of stay based upon working or teaching.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa? Do you have a single or multiple entry visa/

You could apply for an extension of stay based upon working or teaching.

my contract ends 30th april, the 90 days ends then as well, after that im not working anymore. So i can't extend on that basis. 

15 minutes ago, jaffas21 said:

my contract ends 30th april, the 90 days ends then as well, after that im not working anymore. So i can't extend on that basis. 

You could request a 30 day extension under number 2 of the memorandum if you have a letter from your embassy.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could request a 30 day extension under number 2 of the memorandum if you have a letter from your embassy.

yes getting the letter is difficult as the embassy only mention tourist visas and not non bs even on their website

42 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Just got my email/letter, after about 48 hours.

What immigration office (area of jurisdiction) will you be presenting this letter to?

A lot of people continue to post on visa-related issues and omit their current location.

Edited by NanLaew