Phuket Immigration jammed with foreigners, expats on non-immigrant visas forced to leave the country

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Immigration jammed with foreigners, expats on non-immigrant visas forced to leave the country

By The Phuket News

1584943402_1-org.jpg

A marquee was set up in front of Phuket Immigration so foreigners could sit outside while waiting for officials to even receive their request to stay in Thailand longer instead of risking contracting the disease by having to leave the country. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Expats living and working in Phuket for years, even more than a decade, are being forced to leave the country because of the Immigration Bureau’s requirement for non-tourist foreigners staying in Thailand to obtain a letter from their embassies requesting the foreigner’s permit-to-stay be extended.

Hundreds of foreigners arrived at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town this morning (Mar 23) in the hope of extending their stay in the country instead risking contracting the COVID-19 coronavirus by having to travel home or anywhere else to comply with the Thai immigration regulation issued late last week.

On Friday, Phuket Immigration confirmed to The Phuket News that by order from Bangkok all tourists can extend their stay by simply presenting themselves at the Immigration office, filing an application and paying B1,900.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-jammed-with-foreigners-expats-on-non-immigrant-visas-forced-to-leave-the-country-75398.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-23

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

why not just announce whatever legal visa you have now that is not in overstay before March 01 is extended automatically to Jan 2021.

Cancel all 90 day reporting until Jan 2021.

Close the borders 100%. you can leave if you want to.

Reassign immigration police to border and lock down patrol.

That is far to sensible/logical/safe. Where do the immig. Police make thier money off the farrang?

*anyone*

I assume if my current non b does not expire for a while (June) then there is no need to do this?

TIA

A 1 month extension would expire before the original non b.

Edited by Breezy
Add

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

For staying that long you should be on extension of stay, so no borderruns necessary.

I think he might be doing marriage extensions from either Laos or Vietnam, where you can get 12 month multi entry extensions for family/marriage without having to provide proof of funds/income.   I believe the cost is 5000 baht (or equivalent in US dollars in Vietnam).   The criteria though is you have to do a border hop every 90 days.   Given the new requirement of Covid-19 free certification plus $100,000 insurance, that must be a nightmare for those who have this type of visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chowny77 said:

So BKK Immigration head office said it would be fine to extend visas immaterial of the visas nature until the situation is under control. Just fill in the form and pay the fee. But Phuket Immigration are using their own set of rules and making it up as they go along. I would of been straight on the hotline to Immigration asking who actually sets the rules, Phuket or Bangkok? Useless bunch of time wasters all of them anyway

If you've read enough of these posts on Thai Visa you would know that rules are based upon different offices doing things the way they like. I'm not defending them and I don't think it's right but that's how it's been and that's how it's always going to be

• Haha 1