Supermarkets only selling 'Essential Items'

digbeth

Looks like the order that closes the malls and shops now mean that Supermarkets cannot sell non-essential, non-food, non groceries items now, this includes electrical items, toiletries and alcohol! 

I've seen Foodland and Tesco in my area taped off the relevant section this morning, and this is during the normal alcohol selling hours too. so no alcohol at all until April whenever that they lift the malls ban, if they hadn't extend it by then.

Maybe someone was too overly eager in their interpretation of the rule? 

What's your experience in shops around your area

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Maybe someone was too overly eager in their interpretation of the rule? 

What's your experience in shops around your area

No experience. But seen a similar picture from some BigC in Bangkok. Non-food taped off.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Was in Makro (South Pattaya) yesterday morning. No problem buying booze within the prescribed time periods. Same for 7/11.

When I was in Koh Chang last week, the g/f wanted a bottle of wine. We bought some groceries, went to the check-out and found out we were 7 minutes too early to buy booze. The cashier set the bottle aside and rang through the rest of our stuff. Teerak left for her salon appointment and I sat there until the clocked chimed 11 and walked up to the cashier. She finished with the customer at the till, told the next one to wait a second, then rang the bottle of wine through.

As for taping off "non-essential" areas, could it have more to do with lack of staff ? With all the people fleeing the cities and returning to their home villages/countries, perhaps a lot of stores are dealing with staff shortages and only have enough people to work in the "essential" areas of the store ? (And thus tape off the non-essential areas to keep people out because you know what would happen if people were allowed to spend time there unsupervised.......)

I see in the news that many stores in the States are having employment issues as well and are offering higher wages and bonuses to try and get enough people to keep the stores running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Tesco Lotus South Pattaya yesterday lunchtime and everything was normal, no shortages of anything and booze on sale as usual.

I hope we're not going to have the unclean hordes from Bangkok driving down to Pattaya now and stripping our supermarkets bare of anything alcoholic, lol.

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

hordes from Bangkok driving down to Pattaya now and stripping our supermarkets bare of anything alcoholic,

They seem to do that every weekend anyway,that and clog up the roads.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, johng said:

They seem to do that every weekend anyway,that and clog up the roads.

Did not notice that this last weekend. Roads have been almost eerily quiet including the weekend. Almost a pleasure to drive around.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No experience. But seen a similar picture from some BigC in Bangkok. Non-food taped off.

There's no info what so ever about for example Tesco Lotus not selling non-essential items. Same if using online delivery.

Glad I recently relocated to Siem Reap (Cambodia). Local shops and supermarkets fully stocked with essential and non-essential items - buy what you like, and we get free plastic bags to carry purchases in! Bars and restaurants still open - but quiet, however still plenty of "Western" tourists!

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Was in Makro (South Pattaya) yesterday morning. No problem buying booze within the prescribed time periods. Same for 7/11.

My local Makro in Kalasin never sells alcohol, period. I can only guess it's because there's a uni a couple of hundred metres up the road. Of course, the 7-11 right opposite the uni sells it. Just part of living in Thailand, where so often nothing makes any sense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, malt25 said:

Visited both Tops & BigC in Sakon Nakhon yesterday. Temp check & compulsory hand sanitising at entry points. Booze readily available at both. But then, it is an essential !

It certainly seems to be for you Steven100. ????

Edited by possum1931
  • Haha 1

Even dentists seem to be closed …..looking for one to repair a tooth who's filling came out ….., well... let's be ugly then for a while ???? 5555 

Edited by david555

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Glad I recently relocated to Siem Reap (Cambodia). Local shops and supermarkets fully stocked with essential and non-essential items - buy what you like, and we get free plastic bags to carry purchases in! Bars and restaurants still open - but quiet, however still plenty of "Western" tourists!

Every store/fresh food market where I shop in Jomtien/Pattaya is fully stocked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, digbeth said:

Seems fair to the shops that had to close since they're inside malls, can't have other shops selling the same thing still open because they're supermarket and is exempt from the closure/ban 

Sorry,that’s a bit silly. It doesn’t affect the closed shops either way and deprives customers of their needs for say a much needed fridge or washing machine.

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Just don’t fall ill and require medical treatment