Chiang Mai residents scramble to buy food supplies, officials says no need to panic

webfact

Chiang Mai residents scramble to buy food supplies, officials says no need to panic

By The Nation

800_fb9cb7fd78c6b38.jpg?v=1584947490

File Photo

Chiang Mai residents rushed to Makro supermarket today (March 23) after the governor ordered the closure of some zones at supermarkets and shopping malls in the province to prevent Covid-19 from spreading.

Governor Charoenrit Sanguansat said the number of infected people was increasing, so the new measure had to be launched to lower the rate.

His announcement that certain supermarket and shopping mall zones would be closed from today until April 13 resulted in many people rushing out to buy food supplies and groceries.

However, the Office of Commercial Affairs said there was no need to panic as the closure was limited to some zones only to create social distancing, and people were still allowed to buy products from the malls.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384658

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-23
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CMoldie said:

A friend confirms a similar absence of panic in Rimping in Maya today

"Absence of Panic" should be a new sticker adhered to all supermarket products of higher quality, ala "Cage-free hens" eggs.

well WHO caused the panic/

Clue:

Governor Charoenrit Sanguansat said the number of infected people was increasing, so the new measure had to be launched to lower the rate.

His announcement that certain supermarket and shopping mall zones would be closed from today until April 13 resulted in many people rushing out to buy food supplies and groceries.

Yet he posted the day before all supermarkets would be open.

While I agree certain types of business need to close temporarily, I don't see the logic in what Makro, Tesco, Big C etc are doing. They are leaving their supermarket sections open for business but cordoning off the rest of their stores. How does this action contribute to slowing the spread of CV-19. People are still in those businesses and still could possibly be carriers and spread the virus, the cordoned off areas actually force people to break social distancing rules. Unless I'm missing something here, this is just another example of idiotic Thai logic. To top all this off, temperatures are being taken prior to entering these stores, BUT anyone with a high temperature is NOT being refused admission, instead they are being told to sit/stand in front of a fan or air cooler for a few minutes and then having their temperature taken again and then then being admitted. Just because their temperature has reduced marginally, doesn't mean they are not infected. More idiotic Thai logic at work.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, lockyv7 said:

it must have been a clear day with no burning when that photo was taken as there is not a mask in sight. 

i think this is an old picture, they allow nobody in without temperature check and mask

On 3/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, CMoldie said:

Hmm - I been in Tops and Lotus, both in Ruam Chok in the last 24 hours and seen no panic buying of any sort. A friend confirms a similar absence of panic in Rimping in Maya today.

Not the first time.  It seems like government officials and main-stream media need to hype a non-existant issue like "panic buying" when there is no issue. 
It is akin to yelling, "Fire" in a crowded theater as it seems as though these peoples goal is to invoke a panic response.:dry: 
I've been to large supermarkets in both Chiang Mai and Lamphun and I've seen absolutely no unusual shopping behavior.  Everyone, Thais and foreigner alike, are calm, collected, and acting pretty much like it's business as usual - but with masks and hand gel.  
Kudos to the citizenry. To those trying to create a panic? Stop! 

Edited by connda