Border run to Cambodia during the Coronavirus crisis

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as i know all border crossings to neighboring countries closed for entries other than for citizens/residents of those countries at this time. Same by air as well.

But with some travel agencies you don't have to actually cross the border. They just stamp your passport in and out. That's how it was before this corona thing at least.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as i know all border crossings to neighboring countries closed for entries other than for citizens/residents of those countries at this time. Same by air as well.

Sorry, I missed the news that Poipet/Aran and Hat Lek/Koh Kong were closed. When was that announced?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Sorry, I missed the news that Poipet/Aran and Hat Lek/Koh Kong were closed. When was that announced?

Late yesterday.

I have seen pictures of the closed gates at Poi Pet done yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:
1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Late yesterday.

I have seen pictures of the closed gates at Poi Pet done yesterday.

I am surprised they have not updated the e-visa site accordingly. Perhaps, they allow you to apply, but then reject the application if you are asking to enter at Poi Pet.

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

It's not technically illegal. The stamps are legit. You don't want to enter Cambodia anyway, so they just facilitate the process.

Of course it is illegal, you make the company bribing officials so you don't have to cross the border.

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I mean they get you to Cambodian border, you pass through Thai immigration, you just don't physically enter Cambodia.

You can not even get past Thai immigration now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Just curious why you would need to do a border run when the immigration is giving 30 day extensions now anyway? Did I miss something?

I'm still waiting to see a report of a 30 day extension given out. 

Yesterday read reports of rejected because "letter from embassy" was not original.

And read reports of 7 days issued.

4 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Just curious why you would need to do a border run when the immigration is giving 30 day extensions now anyway? Did I miss something?

Because not every embassy can provide the required letter stating that you can't return to your country.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

Official advice on this seems to be that Cambodia has only suspended VOA via air (land borders are closed to get out of Thailand but not air as thai airways is still selling tickets) for a limited number of countries:

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/news

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cambodia/entry-requirements

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/cambodia

I read this one but the OP who got denied boarding is German, which is on the list. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1154702-cambodia-visa-on-arrival-cancelled/page/3/#comments

Edited by OxfordWill
info
  • Haha 1

In case anyone is in the same boat I got the evisa and sentiment at both ends was that VOA would be unlikely yet I saw several Caucasians in the queue for VOA and no frowns from the staff. Make sure you have a return ticket. Cambodia is providing up to six months of tourist extensions for those stuck.

Edited by OxfordWill
info

24 minutes ago, OxfordWill said:

In case anyone is in the same boat I got the evisa and sentiment at both ends was that VOA would be unlikely yet I saw several Caucasians in the queue for VOA and no frowns from the staff. Make sure you have a return ticket. Cambodia is providing up to six months of tourist extensions for those stuck.

You are stuck there now unless you have a work permit or permanent residency. Since the emergency decree everybody else is denied entry.

"THAILAND - published 26.03.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Thailand.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
- This does not apply to airline crew with pre-existing schedules.
- This does not apply to diplomats and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a work permit.
- This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from PM or PIC of State of Emergency.
2. Passengers must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate to transit Thailand. The transit time must not be more than 24 hours.
3. Nationals of Thailand must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

3 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Just for any ones interest i have tried to book flights with the usual suspects BKK/ Phnom Penh. First available flight Airasia 26 April. Cambodia air 15 April.

PS Both flights over 12000 baht.

But you cannot go back to Thailand

• Like 1