Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats stuck in Thailand

Recommended Posts

Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats stuck in Thailand

By The Phuket News

 

1584960824_1-org.jpg

Photo: DFAT

 

PHUKET:-- The Australian Consulate-General in Phuket has confirmed it will provide visa support letters to those Australians in Thailand who can prove long-term residency in Thailand.

 

Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats caught by Non-Imm O visa requirement.

 

“Please email Consular.Phuket@dfat.gov.au with your personal particulars page of your passport and a copy of your current visa. There will be no fee applied for this service,” said a notice posted on the consulate’s official website this afternoon.

 

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-consulate-in-phuket-confirms-letters-for-expats-stuck-in-thailand-75403.php

 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-23
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Probably the best gesture ever by the Australian Consulate.....especially the no charge bit!

Unprecedented for the Aust. Govt.!

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

 

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DeeMak9 said:

Well done. Other embassies take note!

You're giving the Oz consulate a "well done" for NOT providing these letters to people on tourist visas and only Non-O? Kind of a stupid post you've made congratulating them don't you think???

 

Apparently based on reports yesterday tourist visa holders were laughed at by Phuket Immigration officers yesterday when applying for a 30 day extension and given a 7 day "get out of this country" stamp.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

 

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.

Are you sure those on TV's need the letters? "On Friday, Phuket Immigration confirmed to The Phuket News that by order from Bangkok all tourists can extend their stay by simply presenting themselves at the Immigration office, filing an application and paying B1,900."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does a 'Visa Support Letter' actually do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the Thai immigration creams off Baht 500/day/person for an involuntary overstay. The mind boggles and confirms, that it is all about the money in the end! 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

 

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.


Because with a tourist visa this letter is not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Are you sure those on TV's need the letters? "On Friday, Phuket Immigration confirmed to The Phuket News that by order from Bangkok all tourists can extend their stay by simply presenting themselves at the Immigration office, filing an application and paying B1,900."

 

28 minutes ago, CLS said:


Because with a tourist visa this letter is not required.

According to the thread started by UbonJoe started a few days ago it's not required. But then you have reports yesterday of tourist visa people going to extend based on that in BKK, Jomtien & Phuket and being denied and even laughed at in Phuket, and given 7 days to get out of the country. No reports so far of anyone being successful. I will believe this to be true once we start getting many reports of tourist visa people successfully getting it done.

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chassa said:

What does a 'Visa Support Letter' actually do?

I think it mainly confirms the request is legitimate and also to say that the applicants Embassy is contributing to helping assist in the process in a face saving sort of Thai style way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No reports so far of anyone being successful.

I have received a reply from the Australian Embassy saying the may be able to assist me with the letter.I'm now waiting for the next step.I might need to drive to Bangkok to collect the letter.I'll report any developments here.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have received a reply from the Australian Embassy saying the may be able to assist me with the letter.I'm now waiting for the next step.I might need to drive to Bangkok to collect the letter.I'll report any developments here.

For a tourist visa? That would be a change of what was announced earlier today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

 

According to the thread started by UbonJoe started a few days ago it's not required. But then you have reports yesterday of tourist visa people going to extend based on that in BKK, Jomtien & Phuket and being denied and even laughed at in Phuket, and given 7 days to get out of the country. No reports so far of anyone being successful. I will believe this to be true once we start getting many reports of tourist visa people successfully getting it done.

Also according to Phuket immigration and immigration headquearters it is not required for TV's.

 

Looking forward to reports from people trying to extend one and getting denied. Since this is the Phuket forum that would be preferred, but others accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Also according to Phuket immigration and immigration headquearters it is not required for TV's.

 

Looking forward to reports from people trying to extend one and getting denied. Since this is the Phuket forum that would be preferred, but others accepted.

There was one posted in this thread yesterday about Phuket. You've gotta search for it yourself as the thread has become huge: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...