Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats stuck in Thailand

snoop1130

Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats stuck in Thailand

By The Phuket News

1584960824_1-org.jpg

Photo: DFAT

PHUKET:-- The Australian Consulate-General in Phuket has confirmed it will provide visa support letters to those Australians in Thailand who can prove long-term residency in Thailand.

Australian consulate in Phuket confirms letters for expats caught by Non-Imm O visa requirement.

“Please email [email protected] with your personal particulars page of your passport and a copy of your current visa. There will be no fee applied for this service,” said a notice posted on the consulate’s official website this afternoon.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-consulate-in-phuket-confirms-letters-for-expats-stuck-in-thailand-75403.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-23
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Probably the best gesture ever by the Australian Consulate.....especially the no charge bit!

Unprecedented for the Aust. Govt.!

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DeeMak9 said:

Well done. Other embassies take note!

You're giving the Oz consulate a "well done" for NOT providing these letters to people on tourist visas and only Non-O? Kind of a stupid post you've made congratulating them don't you think???

Apparently based on reports yesterday tourist visa holders were laughed at by Phuket Immigration officers yesterday when applying for a 30 day extension and given a 7 day "get out of this country" stamp.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.

Are you sure those on TV's need the letters? "On Friday, Phuket Immigration confirmed to The Phuket News that by order from Bangkok all tourists can extend their stay by simply presenting themselves at the Immigration office, filing an application and paying B1,900."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Because with a tourist visa this letter is not required.

37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Are you sure those on TV's need the letters? "On Friday, Phuket Immigration confirmed to The Phuket News that by order from Bangkok all tourists can extend their stay by simply presenting themselves at the Immigration office, filing an application and paying B1,900."

28 minutes ago, CLS said:

Because with a tourist visa this letter is not required.

According to the thread started by UbonJoe started a few days ago it's not required. But then you have reports yesterday of tourist visa people going to extend based on that in BKK, Jomtien & Phuket and being denied and even laughed at in Phuket, and given 7 days to get out of the country. No reports so far of anyone being successful. I will believe this to be true once we start getting many reports of tourist visa people successfully getting it done.

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Chassa said:

What does a 'Visa Support Letter' actually do?

I think it mainly confirms the request is legitimate and also to say that the applicants Embassy is contributing to helping assist in the process in a face saving sort of Thai style way.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No reports so far of anyone being successful.

I have received a reply from the Australian Embassy saying the may be able to assist me with the letter.I'm now waiting for the next step.I might need to drive to Bangkok to collect the letter.I'll report any developments here.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have received a reply from the Australian Embassy saying the may be able to assist me with the letter.I'm now waiting for the next step.I might need to drive to Bangkok to collect the letter.I'll report any developments here.

For a tourist visa? That would be a change of what was announced earlier today.

37 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

According to the thread started by UbonJoe started a few days ago it's not required. But then you have reports yesterday of tourist visa people going to extend based on that in BKK, Jomtien & Phuket and being denied and even laughed at in Phuket, and given 7 days to get out of the country. No reports so far of anyone being successful. I will believe this to be true once we start getting many reports of tourist visa people successfully getting it done.

Also according to Phuket immigration and immigration headquearters it is not required for TV's.

Looking forward to reports from people trying to extend one and getting denied. Since this is the Phuket forum that would be preferred, but others accepted.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Also according to Phuket immigration and immigration headquearters it is not required for TV's.

Looking forward to reports from people trying to extend one and getting denied. Since this is the Phuket forum that would be preferred, but others accepted.

There was one posted in this thread yesterday about Phuket. You've gotta search for it yourself as the thread has become huge: 

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

There was one posted in this thread yesterday about Phuket. You've gotta search for it yourself as the thread has become huge: 

There was one guy posting about a Phuket experience last week, who applied for an extension because he could not get away, when he still had plenty of time on his present extension or visa and who could still get out with a flight. You mean that one?

Let me emphasize 'last week' 'plenty of time on present entry' and 'flights still going'. So yes, I would agree with the officer that this did not look like the emergency for which these extensions are meant.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

<snip>

Let me emphasize 'last week' 'plenty of time on present entry' and 'flights still going'. So yes, I would agree with the officer that this did not look like the emergency for which these extensions are meant.

I agree. I talked a number of guys who just don't want to go back due to restrictions when they arrive back.  They want an extended holiday in Thailand until it all blows over   ... eventually

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There was one guy posting about a Phuket experience last week, who applied for an extension because he could not get away, when he still had plenty of time on his present extension or visa and who could still get out with a flight. You mean that one?

No, some guy posted yesterday in that thread I mentioned earlier of being rejected and laughed by the IO when presented the letter UbonJoe posted at the start of the thread, then was given 7 days to leave.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

For a tourist visa? That would be a change of what was announced earlier today.

It was for a Non Imm O ME visa with a 60 day extension which expires today and I've just received the letter now so I will go to Yasothon Immigration tomorrow and see if they will accept it for the extension.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

No, some guy posted yesterday in that thread I mentioned earlier of being rejected and laughed by the IO when presented the letter UbonJoe posted at the start of the thread, then was given 7 days to leave.

Since you can't show the post I can't react to it.

Sounds like request for non immigrant extension though.