DLT Not Issuing New Drivers Licenses

I saw a tweet and a fb post that the Land Transport Dept in Bangkok and surrounding provinces will stop issuing driving licenses due to Covid-19.

My 5 year license expires next month. 

Does anyone know anything about this, and what we are supposed to do about renewing licenses? 

You must be referring to this:

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2573

Statement made on March 18. As I understand what they are saying, they are limiting the number of people who are allowed in the room at a time, and instituting cleaning between each batch, so you can expect it to take a very long day and it could make it impossible to get in and renew your license if you don't show up very early.

There is nothing I have seen on their website that they will no longer be renewing licenses.

I would be interested to know if there is anything more, as my Thai is extremely poor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monomial said:

You must be referring to this:

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2573

Statement made on March 18. As I understand what they are saying, they are limiting the number of people who are allowed in the room at a time, and instituting cleaning between each batch, so you can expect it to take a very long day and it could make it impossible to get in and renew your license if you don't show up very early.

There is nothing I have seen on their website that they will no longer be renewing licenses.

I would be interested to know if there is anything more, as my Thai is extremely poor.

Thanks but the posts l saw where yesterday morning but l didn't save them. It was clear that it was about not issuing licenses. Guess l better wait and see. 

24 minutes ago, pauln said:

Thanks but the posts l saw where yesterday morning but l didn't save them. It was clear that it was about not issuing licenses. Guess l better wait and see. 

They will issue a new licence some weeks prior to the old one running out. I did my one some 5/6 weeks prior to my one going T/ts up as it saved me from getting the new doctors certificate.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

They will issue a new licence some weeks prior to the old one running out. I did my one some 5/6 weeks prior to my one going T/ts up as it saved me from getting the new doctors certificate.

You need a Doc's certificate to renew a five year license...?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Now you do look it up.

Eh...?

I asked if you need a medical certificate to renew a five year license, because I thought you didn't, so looking to be corrected.....So, do you or don't you....?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Eh...?

I asked if you need a medical certificate to renew a five year license, because I thought you didn't, so looking to be corrected.....So, do you or don't you....?

What part of NOW YOU DO did you not understand???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Eh...?

nowadays you do need a med cert, unlike in the past

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So these comments are beside the point of my post guys. 

My license expires next month. I know what documents l need. What l asked is does anyone know about it, and what we can do if the offices really have stopped issuing licenses. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, pauln said:

So these comments are beside the point of my post guys. 

My license expires next month. I know what documents l need. What l asked is does anyone know about it, and what we can do if the offices really have stopped issuing licenses. 

You have ONE YEAR to renew it.....

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, pauln said:

Really? If so then it's not a problem. 

Well it could be if you have an accident, as the insurance will not pay out. The one year to renew is only for you not to take another test. But you could be buggered if you insure your own car. My insurance wants a photo copy of my Thai licence before they will issue a new one. Also wants same if I am involved in any accident. Please don't take anything on TV as read.

As I have said in a previous post you can get a new licence some weeks before your old one runs out.

Edited by fredob43

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

What part of NOW YOU DO did you not understand???

Well, it seems you need that medical form for a TWO year temporary license as per this

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

BUt for a 5 year... or on the other hand  I renewed my license for another 10 years last October (2019) and didn't need any medical form  - and can't see any info/link for those with the a NON temporary license looking to renew... so the usual muddied and incomplete story, then. ????

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, coops said:

Well, it seems you need that medical form for a TWO year temporary license as per this

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

BUt for a 5 year... or on the other hand  I renewed my license for another 10 years last October (2019) and didn't need any medical form  - and can't see any info/link for those with the a NON temporary license looking to renew... so the usual muddied and incomplete story, then. ????

10 year...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hmm.  So what happens if you are involved in a serious accident while holding an expired licence?  Insurance companies will be OK with this?

Doesn't matter. Thais commenting on the DLT's Facebook page say it's better to wait and avoid going to the DLT due to this virus. They implicitly know that there are few consequences for not holding a valid license.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Best to stay away until after Corona, these offices are usually packed. Avoid where police checkpoints usually are, they will be loving the news

It will be business as usual with them...but if your Thai is good and you know how to deal with the BIB here, they'll either let you off or you pay 100 Baht.