DLT Not Issuing New Drivers Licenses

2 hours ago, transam said:

10 year...?

Yes.

think it goes.... 2 year initially, then a 5 year renewal, then you get 10 year renewals from then on.

BONUS tip - it renews on your birthday which is handy to remember... BUT most importantly, renew it a FEW days AFTER your birthday (you get a few grace days.. weeks?) because then you get your 10 yeards (or 5 etc) plus +/-362 days or whatever ????  

so wait a day or two after that birth date and you get an extra year (minus the couple of days). 

Edited by coops
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Well it could be if you have an accident, as the insurance will not pay out. The one year to renew is only for you not to take another test. But you could be buggered if you insure your own car. My insurance wants a photo copy of my Thai licence before they will issue a new one. Also wants same if I am involved in any accident. Please don't take anything on TV as read.

As I have said in a previous post you can get a new licence some weeks before your old one runs out.

I will call the DLT this week. I just hope someone will answer lol

7 hours ago, coops said:

Yes.

think it goes.... 2 year initially, then a 5 year renewal, then you get 10 year renewals from then on.

Must be a recent thing as I renewed my 5 yr licence (for the 3rd time) about 12 months ago and there was no mention of renewing for 10 years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coops said:

Yes.

No........Not unless it has changed in the last 3 weeks. 5 year to 5 year for 2 friends who renewed in the last 3 weeks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coops said:

Yes.

BONUS tip - it renews on your birthday which is handy to remember... BUT most importantly, renew it a FEW days AFTER your birthday (you get a few grace days.. weeks?) because then you get your 10 yeards (or 5 etc) plus +/-362 days or whatever ????  

so wait a day or two after that birth date and you get an extra year (minus the couple of days). 

Check your license dates......

My licenses have always been for 6 years....????

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Soooooooooooooooooo, has anyone reading this got a 10 year driving license, go check.......? ????

I renewed mine in February and got six years as it was a couple of days after my birthday ( didn’t drive from expiry to renewal) I needed the medical certificate.

I live in Chiang Mai Province.

Suggest you check with your local office as rules vary between offices, my office wouldn’t accept Pink ID as proof of residence had to get the Immigration Certificate, yet at the head office in Chiang Mai they accept the Pink ID.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Soooooooooooooooooo, has anyone reading this got a 10 year driving license, go check.......? ????

My bad - got the BE years confused - it is 6 years (5+ the extra). didn't need any medical cert Oct last year - anyone renewed since then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimn said:

Not in Pattaya you dont, I renewed mine yesterday. Arrived 7.30 out at 15.00, a long day in a packed office but no medical certificate for a 5 year renewal.

Yes, its five years for license and Thai passport, which to me is a bit daft, just  creates unnecessary work load...Would have thought 10 years was quite adequate..

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, lust said:

My 2 year will expire soon. How long do I have from the expiry date do I have before I need to start the whole licensing process over?

I don't know if it has changed, but the Thai bureaucracy graciously gave me 1 year after my US driver's license expired to renew it without having to take the written and road tests. 

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I renewed mine in February and got six years as it was a couple of days after my birthday ( didn’t drive from expiry to renewal) I needed the medical certificate.

I live in Chiang Mai Province.

Suggest you check with your local office as rules vary between offices, my office wouldn’t accept Pink ID as proof of residence had to get the Immigration Certificate, yet at the head office in Chiang Mai they accept the Pink ID.

I did mine in March 2018, Ran out in April. Went in end of Feb: to see what they required as we all know it varies between office to office.

Was told I would now need a medical certificate if I did it in April but if I did it earlier I didn't need one. New rules started April 2018 I was told.

Lady also told me that my yellow book was no conformation of address. Told her to go ask. Upshot she didn't come back the boss did and told me yellow book was fine. Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing as normal.

Better to check with your local office as they all vary regards rules.

N/B. I didn't have to look at the video (long story) but I still had to wait till it was over before they issued my licence. Had colour test fill out forms that was it. Took around 2 hours total.

21 hours ago, fredob43 said:

What part of NOW YOU DO did you not understand???

I know these are trying times for all of us, but please try to be nice to each other.  A simple, polite answer answer such as, 'Yes, now a medical certificate is needed', would have been a better reply.

22 hours ago, transam said:

You need a Doc's certificate to renew a five year license...?

Interesting question. We telephoned and asked them before my last 5 year renewal. They said yes. We got one. When queuing outside early in the morning they came around checking and collecting forms and issuing a queue number if all forms  ok. They didn't want the medical certificate nor even bothered looking at it!

But best to take one in case!

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, lust said:

My 2 year will expire soon. How long do I have from the expiry date do I have before I need to start the whole licensing process over?

From what are DLT DL office told me, you don't have any period after the expiry date. You can renew prior to expiry but if you don't and it's expired you have to start from scratch.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hmm.  So what happens if you are involved in a serious accident while holding an expired licence?  Insurance companies will be OK with this?

Farang think too much post of the day award goes to...

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

From what are DLT DL office told me, you don't have any period after the expiry date. You can renew prior to expiry but if you don't and it's expired you have to start from scratch.

This is my understanding too. The two year is a provisional license. If you let it expire before renewal you need to start from scratch.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, transam said:

Eh...?

I asked if you need a medical certificate to renew a five year license, because I thought you didn't, so looking to be corrected.....So, do you or don't you....?

Yes,you do. 

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Friend renewed his 5 year licence 8 months after expiry last week ant Banglamung DLT, no issue at all, he was told if it was over 12 months would have to start from scratch.... Might be a Banglamung thing only and not countrywide.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:41 PM, Monomial said:

You must be referring to this:

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2573

Statement made on March 18. As I understand what they are saying, they are limiting the number of people who are allowed in the room at a time, and instituting cleaning between each batch, so you can expect it to take a very long day and it could make it impossible to get in and renew your license if you don't show up very early.

There is nothing I have seen on their website that they will no longer be renewing licenses.

I would be interested to know if there is anything more, as my Thai is extremely poor.

No l wasn't referring to that. 

OP, you have to renew your 2 year licence before it expires, waiting up to one year is only for the 5 year licences. You will need a medical certificate too, it's not needed for the 5 year licencies. Went to renew my "BoRoBor" today in Hat Yai and was a little bit scared because it's normally very crowded; but not so today. Just a few people, in and out in 2 minutes. Asked about renewing driving licences; everything as usual.

9 minutes ago, swissbie said:

OP, you have to renew your 2 year licence before it expires, waiting up to one year is only for the 5 year licences. You will need a medical certificate too, it's not needed for the 5 year licencies. Went to renew my "BoRoBor" today in Hat Yai and was a little bit scared because it's normally very crowded; but not so today. Just a few people, in and out in 2 minutes. Asked about renewing driving licences; everything as usual.

Whats BoRoBor ?

I know Por Ror bor  (compulsory insurance) but no boRoBor.

Edited by Don Mega