Trump considers reopening U.S. economy despite coronavirus spread

webfact

What can anyone say the horse is allready out of the gate the best we can do is limit the damage from this latest wound and change leadership to someone who is more forward thinking cares about the population of this country and upholds the oath of office.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

What can anyone say the horse is allready out of the gate the best we can do is limit the damage from this latest wound and change leadership to someone who is more forward thinking cares about the population of this country and upholds the oath of office.

November is a long way away when things are happening right now. So it seems like your solution is to stay on lock down?

Edited by Cryingdick

the economy peoples ability to live must be considered,their savings and jobs,businesses.we must take suitable precautions,we get very conflicting info due to a lack of testing in regards to the rate of infection and its severity but it appears from s korea whos tested the most people that the death rates about 0.5 % or maybe slightly less.testing must be free easliy available.the govt should privatise the private hopsitals for the next few mnths in regards to testing and treating corona patients,it must also think before acting.i was very concerned over masses of people being allowed to throng at muachit hualampong etc,idiocy.boxing matches yikes,single didgit IQ stuff,it would be a good idea if foreign embassies actually did their job as they seem to be failing spectacularily again,i tried to contact the UK embassy regarding a serious health issue about a friend and theyre are negligent,they send you a reply based on corona virus so they are NOT even reading the mails.this is not acceptable.so it appears govt in whatever form or country is not fit for purpose and we can see the amply dis[layed by them allowing worldwide mainlanders to travel and infect the world and sitting back and watching it unfold,i suggest we make decisions based on intelligence and reasoning and govt heed that advice as whats been seen so far with a few exceptions IE singapore taiwan hk and maybe s korea has been appalling and i do mean europe too,they had 3 mntsh to get ready and.....US doid in fact ban china flights earlier and has thrown the kitchen sink at the economy but with the health system there based on moeny and ripping people off theres low expectations,gleads drug is about the best hope weve seen so fingers crossed on that one

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

To show that his administration has been fast and effective in its response to the new coronavirus, President Donald Trump claimed that anybody who wants to get tested for the respiratory disease caused by the virus can do so.

"Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is," Trump told reporters March 6 during a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Moments later, Trump added that anybody that needs a test gets one.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/11/donald-trump/donald-trumps-wrong-claim-anybody-can-get-tested-c/

I am pretty sure within a matter of few weeks/months anyone who wants a test can get a test. just look at how they come to reduce the testing which takes days to hours in just few week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Economy and a potential depression against a few thousand dead people and an election on the horizon, no brainer.

I would love to see that statistical model and the credentials of the underlying assumptions according to which it would be “a few thousand dead people”. 

And I don’t want to see the economy when things go exponential. 

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He can't. America is a democracy, China is a totalitarian regime. If there is any nation more obsessed with personal freedom than the USA, I have yet to hear of it.

While I have no liking for Trump, IMO all leaders are between a rock and a hard place, because their expert advisers are at sixes and sevens about the best course of action which will balance population health with population employment.

Almost overnight, Australia has added 1 million people to its unemployment register. That scenario will repeat in many countries.

I was being sarcastic and you absolutely right. Besides political system, there is also a cultural aspect. Chinese culture that held by the society at large and good of the group is elevated. American culture is where individual is valued more. 

Back to the topic, any decision on economics must consider that this is a global crisis. Disruption from the supply side manufacturing issues to decreased business in the service sector, traveling etc  will limit the potential of any economic benefits weighing against the increases in infections and deaths and dragging the crisis longer. Better to take the tough medicine than mire the nation to a protracted pain. 

Here's another reason why we must continue;

Soldiers drafted in to help Spain tackle the coronavirus pandemic by disinfecting and running residential homes have found a number of elderly people abandoned and dead in their beds, according to the country’s defence minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/spain-distributes-650000-testing-kits-as-coronavirus-deaths-rise-steeply

As the disease spreads and infects our most vulnerable, nursing home staff will be sickened or will abandon their posts. How can we do this to society's most vulnerable? What of the  facilities which care for the mentally challenged/ill or children?  

I know some discount the value of the elderly, but they are the people who volunteer at the soup kitchens, with the poor and social service organizations. Lose them and a society's social net frays. What kind of  society are we when we end up like that?

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Tug said:

Chomper when I see a post like that trying to blame the media I think of China shutting down they dident do that out of panic they did it for a reason or thinking of Italy losing 800 in 1 day with preventive measures Christ that’s the kind of casualties you would expect in a major war with modern armies clashing I just can’t belive how some people just don’t see it and if it’s ignored it will be worse much worse please take care all good luck and good health 

They just taking a cue from the fake news manipulator. Sure you notice that whenever Trump spout diversion and conspiracy, it will be picked up by his supporters and be echoed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tlandtday said:

Sadly he is correct.  This cannot be contained not even with lockdowns lasting years.  It is too contagious.  It will have to work its way through the population. 

Thailand should follow suit as their lack of inaction over months and their continued welcoming of Chinese tourists is simply unworkable.  Elederly patients or those with existing health conditions or heavy smokers/drinkers should be isolated and monitored until a vaccine or workable drugs are found.  All else will lead to anarchy and a devastated economy where food could be the number one issue.  

Even if Thailand had attempted all measures as should have happened it is still debatable if a nation that cannot implement road rules or enforcement as simple as mandatory helmets can operate a full scale quarantine.

China, Taiwan and South Korea beg to differ.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2