Trump considers reopening U.S. economy despite coronavirus spread

webfact

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I was being sarcastic and you absolutely right. Besides political system, there is also a cultural aspect. Chinese culture that held by the society at large and good of the group is elevated. American culture is where individual is valued more. 

Back to the topic, any decision on economics must consider that this is a global crisis. Disruption from the supply side manufacturing issues to decreased business in the service sector, traveling etc  will limit the potential of any economic benefits weighing against the increases in infections and deaths and dragging the crisis longer. Better to take the tough medicine than mire the nation to a protracted pain. 

Correction, China is a totalitarian police state that can and has used force for anything they want. 

It has nothing to do with the people believing in the good of the group. Your ridiculous assertions and generalizations while trying to pretend that one nation cares more about the good of others more than another country is a vacuous one. But virtue signaling is a pillar the left must try to support their ideology. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thing is.

Trump and the Federal Government don't really have much control on what State Governors and City Mayors do with regard to their local communities.

I think a lot of Europeans don't quite understand, that unlike their countries, power is ceded to the Federal Government, not the other way round.

So if the State decides to lock everything down, there is precious little of Trump huffing, puffing and tweeting that can change that.

Gavin Newsom locking down California, or indeed my local Mayor in South Dakota closing non essential business' for what they consider the greater public health issue, takes precedent over anything the Fed's might say  

Trump could withhold federal funding to states that do not comply

6 hours ago, sezze said:

A few 1000 ... hahah . Forget about it . Italy already got 6000 deaths . Italy being a tiny bit smaller then US . Also , Italy and all others are trying to slow the spread so they can cope . Somewhere else on the forum i already send the picture of the hospital in Spain ( official footage ) , where people lie on the floor in the hallway . Beds finished ... . Brace yourself for more then a few 1000 .

Couldn’t agree more. The Spanish flu killed 50 to 100 million people. That’s the kind of numbers you have to be thinking about. Probably a lot more, in fact, because the world population grew from 1,5 billion in 1918 to over 7 billion now. So think about that ......

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

That's what Presidents/PM's are for ,,,,,,,,Bowling balls.

The article is very interesting in that this is a major quandary for just about any world leader.

Total lockdown can only last for so long as looting,robberies,suicides & general anarchy would 

result. A strong Police force would come under as much pressure as the health systems.

In Thailand the infighting between the Govt & Police which has made the "force" pretty unresponsive since overthrow of elected Govt & % of uneducated people would exacerbate

any long term violence as they get hungry, thirsty & restless.

I do not have the answer as if I did would not be sitting here writing this but would be sharing my ideas to the authorities.

Interested to hear comments on above

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Is this what you are referring to?

"An MSNBC network spokesperson said the network aired the briefing for more than an hour before cutting away "because the information no longer appeared to be valuable to the important ongoing discussion around public health.""

"Several people have criticized the administration’s daily coronavirus briefings for allegedly spreading misinformation and urged news networks not to show them live."   https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489150-white-house-hits-cnn-msnbc-for-cutting-away-from-coronavirus-briefing

what do you think?

Or let me rephrase:

do you think?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

China, Taiwan and South Korea beg to differ.

And your point is?  You are taking chinese media at face value dont' be so naive.   Country is still on full lockdown with students at home with no end is sight at this time.

Hong Kong thought it had things under control but it has come back again.

Taiwan and South Korea are not finished with it yet but one must congratulate South Korea for its quick testing of large numbers they have slowed it for sure. 

Italy is taking strong measures and still can't control it.

Efforts need to be spent on:

1) isolate and monitor the elderly and those with pre existing conditions

2) get drugs to people who need it

3) try to rush a vaccine

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes he is really worried about his hotels... don't you ever get tired of writing this tedious tripe?

You do know the trajectory in US is more extreme than Italy. America is now the fastest growing pandemic. You do know that and your in America!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, I am watching it now.

It appears in 7 days he will open things up again.

Seems mostly about the economic devastation that is taking place.

Still recommending people over 65 possibly stay self quarantine.

Not sure it is the best decision.

So, I guess we will have to see what happens.

half of the infected are under 64