Trump considers reopening U.S. economy despite coronavirus spread

webfact

16 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Robert Koch Institute's warnings about a coronavirus pandemic. ...........pretty smart people to not only warn of a pandemic (Many scientists have done that, sooner or later it was inevitable.) but to actually know it was going to be a corona virus specifically, ok maybe they had the 2nd sight.

Let's hope Trump .....sets an example for everyone else. 5555555555 best joke on here for a long time.

Well, it was because of SARS, another coronavirus, which seemed the most likely to stretch a health service to the limit, hence the Robert Koch Institute picked coronavirus for the pandemic risk analysis.

Merkel did nothing despite the bleak forecast:

https://www.disclose.tv/pandemic-research-paper-by-the-german-government-from-2012-389626

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chiphigh said:

Correction, China is a totalitarian police state that can and has used force for anything they want. 

It has nothing to do with the people believing in the good of the group. Your ridiculous assertions and generalizations while trying to pretend that one nation cares more about the good of others more than another country is a vacuous one. But virtue signaling is a pillar the left must try to support their ideology. 

Yet that totalitarian state has apparently  managed  to minimize social  impact and is  emerging into  a semblance of normality.

If virtue signaling is the social measure of ideology then perhaps given the dissent in the US where the assumption of preferred  ideology is  being covertly corrupted is the true test of the  moment?

The  biggest problem Trump has is that  although  he is  the  supreemo elected  representative  of  the "united " states  he  can  not over ride  Individual State  control  with  absolute autonomy without  extreme  exceptions.

• Thanks 1

Given the choice of a slow, painful, financial collapse and firing my 200+ employees, personally, I would prefer to take the best precautions I could for my self and my staff, and risk the virus...and let others make their own choice based on their age and physical condition, and let an industry develop to support them through this...whilst we invest in a vaccine...

...however, as much as 3-weeks ago, I was all in support of strict measures, mainly based on the South Korean model...but I think its too late for the world at large...

No doubt 10's, maybe 100's of thousands will die...but what is the consequence of shutting the entire world for 3 - 6 months?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DLock said:

Given the choice of a slow, painful, financial collapse and firing my 200+ employees, personally, I would prefer to take the best precautions I could for my self and my staff, and risk the virus...and let others make their own choice based on their age and physical condition, and let an industry develop to support them through this...whilst we invest in a vaccine...

...however, as much as 3-weeks ago, I was all in support of strict measures, mainly based on the South Korean model...but I think its too late for the world at large...

No doubt 10's, maybe 100's of thousands will die...but what is the consequence of shutting the entire world for 3 - 6 months?

Growth picks up rather quickly after a pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/22/economists-pandemic-predictions-covid-19

The Spanish flu was said by some to have had a robust positive impact on income growth in the US.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

well Goivernor Cuomo seems to agree with the proposition that we cant shut down forever, and that he is responsible for and realizes the economic damage to NY and that its got to open up sooner or later.

Thats what I just heard him saying on TV, has anyone seen that in print?. Sounds like Cuomo and Trump are on the same page

If Trump and Coumo are on the same page then this is all over red rover.  Stock up on your masks and hand wash and get back to work - and lets hope it is not as bad as the 'experts' predicted.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AussieBob18 said:

If Trump and Coumo are on the same page then this is all over red rover.  Stock up on your masks and hand wash and get back to work - and lets hope it is not as bad as the 'experts' predicted.

God bless america! (and Gawd save the Queen!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Growth picks up rather quickly after a pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/22/economists-pandemic-predictions-covid-19

The Spanish flu was said by some to have had a robust positive impact on income growth in the US.

Yep - that and the end of WW1 - until 1929 when it crashed big time - lets hope this time they dont let it get that over heated.

5 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Yep - that and the end of WW1 - until 1929 when it crashed big time - lets hope this time they dont let it get that over heated.

It's really interesting actually, looking at the Spanish flu:

Surprisingly, the stock market in 1918 was relatively unaffected by the Spanish flu outbreak. In fact, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased by 50% after the outbreak abated. The years following the crisis, known as the Roaring Twenties, were a period of prosperity.

Also wages increased, due to the labour shortage caused by the deaths.

https://www.breezejmu.org/opinion/opinion-history-can-teach-us-about-economic-impact-of-covid/article_727a3ff2-68b4-11ea-a529-b330483fd726.html

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Maybe he is able to lead. Unfortunately, he is not doing it now.

The time for him to Lead and to Act was back in January.

It is wonderful that you support testing. Unfortunately, the Trump administration had 2 months to  get testing underway and it still to this day cannot get the tests into the field.

They can't even get protective garments to the   medical personnel.

The US Federal government and many of its states have not led. They have more in common with Iran than they do with the modern world. It speaks volumes that China, Cuba and Russia are sending emergency medical supplies to countries  while the free world is on the verge of collapse.

You're absolutely right, Trump didn't do enough early enough. I understand one of the problems the Americans had, and the CDC also absolutely dropped the ball, is that they refused to get commercial companies to do the test kits and instead insisting on developing their own. These were poorly designed and did not work, hence there was a delay in rolling out tests.

I totally agree with you, Russia's heroic humanitarian help to the Italians is an example to all nations.

Edited by Logosone

11 hours ago, candide said:

It seems to work but has strong side effects. China has forbidden this treatment for people over 65.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-woman-husband-died-chloroquine-warns-not-to-trust-trump-2020-3

Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure': Woman whose husband died after ingesting chloroquine warns the public not to 'believe anything that the president says'

• The wife of an Arizona man who died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate to protect himself from the novel coronavirus urged the public on Monday not to "believe anything that the president says" and rely on doctors instead.
  • Banner Health said the man and his wife consumed a version of the chemical that's used to clean aquariums.
  • "We saw Trump on TV — every channel — and all of his buddies and that this was safe," the woman, who is in critical care after taking the drug with her husband, told NBC News' Vaughn Hillyard

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's really interesting actually, looking at the Spanish flu:

Surprisingly, the stock market in 1918 was relatively unaffected by the Spanish flu outbreak. In fact, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased by 50% after the outbreak abated. The years following the crisis, known as the Roaring Twenties, were a period of prosperity.

Also wages increased, due to the labour shortage caused by the deaths.

https://www.breezejmu.org/opinion/opinion-history-can-teach-us-about-economic-impact-of-covid/article_727a3ff2-68b4-11ea-a529-b330483fd726.html

I do not know anything about finance and markets but wouldn't it be fair to say that Internet and swift communication, for the good and the bad, have "helped" the situation as we know it today?

10 minutes ago, alyx said:

I do not know anything about finance and markets but wouldn't it be fair to say that Internet and swift communication, for the good and the bad, have "helped" the situation as we know it today?

Definitely, the interconnectedness has been a help and curse.

Trump closed all flights relatively early, not early enough, but on the same day the Italians did, who were one of the first. It was still too late, it was tourists, work delegates who spread the virus.

Social media has caused panic buying, but also helped to inform of the virus.

A car, a hedge fund are not bad or good, it depends what you do with it. Same with the internet and social media.

The coronavirus deaths in the U.S. have names and faces and stories, each and every one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/03/24/coronavirus-kills-former-college-basketball-players-david-edwards-lee-green/2905713001/

Former Texas A&M standout David Edwards and former St. John's player Lee Green died Monday following battles with the novel coronavirus, according to reports. 

Edwards' death was confirmed to the Dallas Morning News by a Texas A&M spokesperson. His former teammate, Charles Henderson, indicated on Facebook that Edwards had died from COVID-19, writing "This coronavirus has hit me in the heart.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nbc-news-employee-dies-after-testing-positive-coronavirus-n1164696

A longtime employee of NBC News died Thursday after testing positive for the coronavirus, NBC News Chairman Andy Lack said in an email to staff members.

Larry Edgeworth, 61, who worked in an equipment room at NBC News' 30 Rockefeller Plaza headquarters in New York, also suffered from other health issues, according to his wife, Crystal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html

Coronavirus Ravages 7 Members of a Single Family, Killing 4

The matriarch of the large New Jersey family died Wednesday night without ever knowing that her two oldest children had died before her.

Now, her close-knit clan is united anew by unspeakable grief: Mrs. Fusco, 73, died on Wednesday night after contracting the coronavirus — hours after her son died from the virus and five days after her daughter’s death, a relative said.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

A report issued Wednesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows younger people are making up a big portion of hospitalizations.

Yes, the bumbling ineptitude of the CDC did not help, unfortunately:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-german-tests-develop-private-pharma-company-cdc-a9406956.html

Why is it  that so many of these  "reports" tend  to  be   specific/non specific  by  stating  infection  by  "corona  virus" ?

Which  corona  virus ??????????????????/

The  common  cold is  a freakin  corona  virus. Even that  can lead  to complications.

Tell us  when and if the  case in point  is  "Covid-19"  or  the  more complex  description  of  it !

• Like 1