Covid-19: Foreigner fined 20K for breaking quarantine - health certificate didn't help him; Thais warned they are next

webfact

I've posted in a few other topics that last weekend the beach here in Rayong was full of Bangkok number plates and they were enjoying themselves as usual because the bars and restaurants are not closed. Rayong is not in lockdown and neither is Bangkok if they can just freely drive to Rayong as they please and spread the virus.

My wife is visiting her home town in Issan. She drove there today. She was told the local officers are coming around and telling people who are returning from big cities to self quarantine for two weeks. The people are getting really scared. Caution is good. Panic is not good. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Yeah right ! H T <deleted>. are they going to monitor and track the 100,000’s going back to village life that they are self - isolating.

Life in the sticks is very, very different than city life. Especially when the Bottles Of Lao Khow, and various other whisky types are opened up. 

With usually just a few spoons for everyone to use ????

Don’t look into this to much but one senses they the ‘authoritarian’ power vacuum may have other motives for the mass exodus for those to go back to rural life for 14 / 21 days ????

Just Sayin ????

• Like 1

I was out for a walk yesterday morning, making sure I kept a distance from the few people I saw, when a woman pulled up next to me on a motorbike to say hello. She was the wife of a now deceased Norwegian guy and I know she’s been working in Pattaya. I asked her two keep 2 meters away from me because of Covid and she rode off - presumably in a huff. I’m sure she should be in quarantine, but what do I do? If I report her, I’m likely to destroy all the good faith I’ve built up with the locals in the 5 years I’ve been here. If I say nothing and she’s a carrier, she could infect countless others. Sensible suggestions please

6 hours ago, KeeTua said:

"He then went to Pattaya for a night where he rented a car."

The 20K fine might be less painful than having to explain to the wife why he spent a night in Pattaya.

Thats why he never got out of the car !!!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that tens of thousands of Thais and migrant workers have been leaving Bangkok - many on crowded buses and trains - after much of the city was effectively locked down.

Going to blow up big soon... self quarantine at home away from family members... Lol

Just now, NightSky said:

He spent one night in Pattaya to rent a car...?

Hmmm....

At least 5 places to rent  a car in Pattaya that anybody can get to on a bahtbus. I'd be lost in Bangkok as well as frightened by the traffic there.

"He further stressed that health certificates were of no use".   So why are immigration going nuts to tell everyone to get one ?   Could you imagine trying to get 20,000 bht out of Somchai in Nakhon Knowhere ?  Any news on the 80 or so that legged it from Quarantine ?   Oh i forgot, no point chasing Thais because they havn't got a pot to P^%$ in......      

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Fair enough.

Just wonder, what he's been up to during the night in Pattaya. Imagine he was positive! 20k is very reasonable price for irresponsibility.

for irresponsibility of this nature custodial sentence should be considered.

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I recently returned from a trip to Pattaya to Buriram. I have been under self isolation since 19 March.

Registered on the app and temp checked twice a day.

Bit bored, but when I look at the fantastic job being done by health care workers on the TV and all I have to do is sit on my <deleted> and do nothing, it puts it all into perspective.

well done and a role model for thais.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Fair enough.

Just wonder, what he's been up to during the night in Pattaya. Imagine he was positive! 20k is very reasonable price for irresponsibility.

Just a quickee before going to the wife, nothing unusual in that. Except for the enforced covid19 restrictions ????

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that tens of thousands of Thais and migrant workers have been leaving Bangkok - many on crowded buses and trains - after much of the city was effectively locked down. 

Will they be force to quarantine as well as keep an app tracking their movements on their phone?  
No, that's for foreigners.  Thais are all good citizens and would never break quarantine.  

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Buriram seems to be the only place in Thailand that knows what they are doing 

Everything they have done so far is very sensible 

I vote this Governor for Health Minister with immediate effect 

well done 

Buriram is the Health Minister's power base and he is good mates with the Governor. So you will be supporting Anutin for PM?

don't believe it is the farang that needs to learn a lesson here, even though he was wrong and should stay in for the time requested. 

The real problem is that Thais themself are uninformed and traveling in packs and moving the virus all over the country, they need to be better informed and need to start fining them the same amount so they realize how serious it is. Completely the wrong approach to target the farang when they have thousands to millions moving about in there own country and don't care... I don't think there is that many farangs here at the moment and ones that specifically coming from abroad into Thailand. Don't think he is the one going to spread the virus to the grandparents in the north, that will be the locals. so the focus should change on the locals, DAH!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The PM in the UK has been lambasting citizens for ignoring these common sense rules about 'social distancing'. Just yesterday I watched a video of the hoards of people visiting the Snowdonia national park in north Wales.

I would agree that getting out for some fresh air and exercise makes sense, I do it every morning. But not all heading for the same place!

Interesting comment. I wonder how those people, when leaving their home for a trip, know that others have the same idea. That is until they get there. By which time it is too late.