THAI slashing up to 58 per cent of flights until October

webfact

THAI slashing up to 58 per cent of flights until October

By THE NATION

800_6e9ee278e59df70.jpg?v=1585020095

Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) plans a drastic reduction of its flights from January-October 2020 due to the decreasing number of passengers because of the new coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak, a source revealed.

The plan aimed to cancel up to 22,948 flights or an average 39.2 per cent of the total 58,513 flights that were previously scheduled.

According to the source, in January 28 flights, or 0.4 per cent, of total flights per month were cancelled while in February 454 flights (7.5 per cent) were cancelled. In March 2,115 flights (33.3 per cent) will be cancelled.

The company is planning to cancel 3,318 flights (55.2 per cent) in April, 3,179 flights (54.7 per cent) in May, 2,840 flights (51.6 per cent) in June, 2,609 flights (46.3 per cent) in July, 2,601 flights (46.1 per cent in August, 2,505 flights (46.4 per cent) in September and 3,299 flights (58.6 per cent) in October.

THAI and its subsidiary THAI Smile Airways will be temporarily closing their selected stations worldwide to reduce operational cost. One domestic station in Phuket will be closed starting March 29 while 25 international stations will be gradually closing until October 2020. Among those that will closed are Milan, Rome, Vienna, Sendai, Fukuoka, Busan, Chongqing, Zhengzhou, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur.

Earlier on Monday (March 23), THAI Smile suspended all international flights until further notice, while offering full refund to customers. Those who wish to change their travel itinerary and/or reroute can do so without paying any fee, though terms and conditions apply.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384725

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24

I'm stuck overseas and my family 3yo and wife are in Bangkok.

THAI canceled my 5 April flight yesterday.

So I will not be able to see my family for many months.

Out of this all I hope Thaiairways collapses and a better carrier takes over. THAIAIRWAYS has been the worst but only option for me in the past..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

This link says all European flights and Asian cancelled until end of May?

Can't find a more legitimate source!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ThaiEnquirer/posts/

They give no source to back up what they claim. No link to the THAI website with the announcement? Is that because they are too lazy/unimaginative to do so, or because there is no link? I don't call that legitimate. The site is actually still promoting offers and promotions.

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They give no source to back up what they claim. No link to the THAI website with the announcement? Is that because they are too lazy/unimaginative to do so, or because there is no link? I don't call that legitimate. The site is actually still promoting offers and promotions.

Another poster just had his flight cancelled.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchweller said:

I'm stuck overseas and my family 3yo and wife are in Bangkok.

THAI canceled my 5 April flight yesterday.

So I will not be able to see my family for many months.

Out of this all I hope Thaiairways collapses and a better carrier takes over. THAIAIRWAYS has been the worst but only option for me in the past..

May and June there were two THA-flights per day (early afternoon TG921 and evening TG923) from FRA->BKK and from BKK->FRA accordingly. Seems like every other of those two flights is now cancelled for the whole period: I had a ticket for for the evening flight FRA->BKK at end of may and have been changed to the afternoon flight (see attachement). Wonder when they will cancel that one too...

pfingsten bkk neu_Page_1.jpg

2 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

May and June there were two THA-flights per day (early afternoon TG921 and evening TG923) from FRA->BKK and from BKK->FRA accordingly. Seems like every other of those two flights is now cancelled for the whole period: I had a ticket for for the evening flight FRA->BKK at end of may and have been changed to the afternoon flight (see attachement). Wonder when they will cancel that one too...

You still want or have to fly to Thailand?
If not, the change of flights gives you the opportunity to get the complete ticket price refunded.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see. To Melbourne. Another poster has booked from London, so their saying that Thai has stopped flying is inaccurate/premature.

Don't shoot the messenger mate!

I've got flights on Thai - Bkk - Lhr in April and Bkk - Narita in May!

RAZZ

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

I got that 10 days ago: they change the night flight to the say flight but I guess that is not related to tis crisis. They have been suppressing night flights for a while ( a bother when one pays more to be able to sleep on the plane and ends up not getting the flight one initially paid for: mind you minor problem compared to a cancelled flight all together)

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My daughter booked on a Thai Airways flight from Sydney this Friday,

just had message flight cancelled,she is now desperately trying to find

another flight out of Australia to Thailand,this is bloody worrying,if she

does fall ill no one to look after her,except a hospital.

Had another daughter due to arrive last Sunday from the UK, but told

her to cancel,and stay there to look after her mother.

Looks like the  whole World is going into lockdown,when things do get

turned around I think it will be a different place....for a while at least.

regards worgeordie 

Mine was booked on SG from ADL for next month as her uni finished. Flight got cancelled couoldnt change to the last flight yesterday so had to pay for a new flight on QF from SYD tomorrow. Get her to try QF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyx said:

I got that 10 days ago: they change the night flight to the say flight but I guess that is not related to tis crisis. They have been suppressing night flights for a while ( a bother when one pays more to be able to sleep on the plane and ends up not getting the flight one initially paid for: mind you minor problem compared to a cancelled flight all together)

I know that it is a "minor problem" - i live and work in germany, so it would just be a holiday-flight (booked it second week of january when even Wuhan still wasn't locked up). Probably going to cancel it anyway. But I hope THA will not go bancrupt before, so I can get my money back....

5 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

This link says all European flights and Asian cancelled until end of May?

Can't find a more legitimate source!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ThaiEnquirer/posts/

The information is from the Thai Embassy in Singapore:
https://www.facebook.com/RoyalThaiEmbassySingapore/posts/2646246688806054

I can not imagine that they would cancel all flights until 31. May.

4 hours ago, darrendsd said:

How does that work exactly?

They are a money-losing operation, mainly because anyone with any power in the military or the elite can apply pressure and fly first class for free.

Shutting down 100% of their flights would mean they lose less money each year.