How can I help/volunteer to the current situation?

andux

As you all know, there's a mess now in the world and in Thailand, and a huge financial crisis, which is greatly affecting Thailand as lots of businesses are closing and people are getting fired.

I'm in Chiang Mai and I'd like to be of help to the current situation somehow, join a place where they cook for people in need, help at a saturated hospital, or something along those lines.

I know that this is especially hard for foreigners in normal situations (i.e., you need a work permit to do volunteer work), but I wonder if considering the current situation there are chances to lend a hand. I want to actively help, both with money and time, not just transfer money to an "organization". I tried contacting some volunteering organizations but didn't get a response yet.

Any ideas, or any places that you know of that need help?

By the way, I realize that maybe I'm completely wrong here, my help is not needed and I'm supposed to stay at home and be quiet. If that's the case, then I also understand. I do not know the details of how the Thai social security/unemployment benefits system works.

Anyways, thanks for reading and any input is appreciated.

Edited by andux

Unless you are fluent in Thai, you would probably be more of a hindrance than a help. Nice thought, but you are probably better off staying put.

Thais get a pension when they hit 60. 500 baht/month, whoop-de-do. AFAIK there are no unemployment benefits, unless you are a general.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
5 hours ago, carolc said:

I didn't know you needed a work permit to volunteer!

Now you do.????

It was quite a few years back..... but a lot of us in pattaya painted out the Catholic orphanage, also the motor cycle mob....I think it was the Jokers, used to do a lot of volunteer work, The top guy used to own a bar there---Woody I think his name was--also the American ships when in, used to team up with them, do some volunteer work.  Maybe its changed I moved up country 16 years ago..... I know a person in the Tourist Police..... no work permit is required to do volunteer work with them.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Any chance of nipping round and cutting my grass, car could do with a clean while your here also? ????

This has nothing to do with the virus situation. I need volunteers to clean my floor, wash the toilet, water the lawn etc. 

59 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Buy masks or food and give them out for free to needy people on the streets or make monetary donations.

No way.  They will take a picture of a farang hording and trying to sell for profit.  banned!!  you will say, "but i was going to give them out for free!"  nobody would believe you.  arrested.  lol.  Instead, just BUY them all in the clinic and tell the person there to give them out for free.  I've done this before with fruit and kids.  I gave the lady 200 baht and said, "the next 20 items are free."  I did know the lady, but there is a risk they just keep your money...

Of course you could rent rooms and keep the social distancing going.  If you see a family of 10, rent out 10 hotel rooms.  lol.  i'm sure you are not that rich.

i do miss my tent.  4 season north face tent.....IF IF things go apocalyptic, I wonder how long I could go before realizing i'm horrible at get drinking water and food when living in the jungle.  lol

Read up on the aftermath of the tsunami in Thailand.  The world came to help and were told to go away.  It's nice to see your compassion and I commend you.  But you haven't lived in Thailand very long?  Your a foreigner and an outsider, and you're not welcome nor is your volunteer work. I'm sure other countries would take you up on your offer.  Thailand isn't one of those countries.  That's just reality. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, connda said:

Read up on the aftermath of the tsunami in Thailand.  The world came to help and were told to go away.  

No the World was not .

After the Tsunami was sorted out , six weeks or something , people were told to get the proper visa , after 6 weeks of leniency