Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

PM declares state of emergency

prauth.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday (March 24) declared a state of emergency to contain the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the emergency decree on public administration in an emergency situation.

The decree takes effect on March 26.

Three Covid-19 patients died on Monday while 106 new cases were confirmed, taking Thailand's total cases past 800, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said on Tuesday (March 24).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384733

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

fine where i love, went to see them yesterday and was told that if conditions are still like this when i'm due to leave after my 90 stay they will give me 30 more days.

People are refused 30 day extensionS all over Thailand now.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

seems like they are just following the UK's lead

what about immigration offices that right now have long lines going out into the street 100's of people ????????????

And most of those hundreds are asked to visit their embassies in Bangkok to get any extension of stay. State of emergency? Hardly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand to declare one-month emergency on March 26 - prime minister

2020-03-24T075215Z_1_LYNXMPEG2N0KF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

Passengers sit in the train as they follow social distancing suggestion due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Bangkok, Thailand March 24, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will be in an emergency mode from March 26 for a month to deal with the coronavirus outbreak, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told a news conference on Tuesday.

The emergency decree will mean the prime minister will have the executive power to declare further measures to contain the virus, including giving extra authority to officials and allowing the setting up of checkpoints to reduce people movements, Prayuth said.

He said details of the measures will be announced later.

Thailand reported three deaths and 106 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday. The country now has 827 cases and four fatalities since the outbreak began.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-umm, Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-24

10 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Read the thread in Visa section. Almost without exclusions. Me myself was refused an extension yesterday after spending an hour in the crowd of hundreds of farangs. I pray God I was not infected. 

Were you  given an explanation for refusal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1