Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I asked the question "why 2 days before state of emergency comes in".  Well the wife's answer was 'it takes time for the army to get organised'.   So I said if Cambodia suddenly attacked Thailand it would take 2 days to fight back.  But apparently thats silly as Cambodia is not going to attack Thailand......

OK,  I am not going to ask any more questions!

Well, to be fair, it takes time to stage troops to attack.  Cambodia would have to position their troops near the border to attack which would then give the Thai military to stage their troops for attack. 

So, taking 2 days to mobilize the military and stage them where they are needed to enforce the state of emergency is not unreasonable.  I doubt even most western countries could roll out the military throughout the country with under 2 days notice. 

17 hours ago, jimn said:

Well I hope your flight on the 31st isn't cancelled. More importantly how are you going to obtain the health certificate that proves you are virus free and have the required cover for Covid 19. If you dont have both these the airline wont let you check in.

I'm pretty sure it will be jimn, but that isn't a problem for me.  I need to be back at work for mid-May and am more than happy to wait it out here until then.  Elsewhere today TV is reporting that those with WP's will not be barred from entry, but I am yet to find anything official about that.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Just as a matter of interest at what point do lives lost take preference over the economy , 10 , 10,000 , 50,000 ?

How about when the real and actual death rates goes well above the 'normal influenza'? And hint - you have about 4 zeros to add to the current deaths to even get there.

Where does money come from to operate hospitals, clinics, doctor offices? Especially those funded by govt?

It doesn't come from an economy that's been shut down and isn't generating any money, and isn't paying any VAT or income taxes or corp taxes BECAUSE THE GOVT SHUT THEM DOWN. Now what? That's the big picture.

To use the Vietnam war analogy, they burned down the villages to save the villages. Didn't work out so well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slip said:

I'm pretty sure it will be jimn, but that isn't a problem for me.  I need to be back at work for mid-May and am more than happy to wait it out here until then.  Elsewhere today TV is reporting that those with WP's will not be barred from entry, but I am yet to find anything official about that.

Apparently according to my Australian friend he only got a two week extension because no one knows and now they just reported that the borders are now closed!!! It hopefully will not last more than 30 days as I believe they said so far. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And Cuba, the country scorned by the USA, has the best medicine in the world.
I do not believe that Donald calls them for help which will be a further fault on his part.

Has Cuba the best medicine in the world? What universe do you come from? 

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And Cuba, the country scorned by the USA, has the best medicine in the world.
I do not believe that Donald calls them for help which will be a further fault on his part.

The Cuban Antiviral

Patients sickened with the coronavirus in China are already being treated with the Cuban antiviral Interferón Alpha 2B Recombinant (IFNrec). This pharmaceutical is being produced at the Chinese-Cuban ChangHeber factory in China’s Jilin province since January 25. It is one of the stars of Cuban biotechnology, also used against HIV viral infection, the human papilloma virus, and hepatitis types B and C. Furthermore, it has proven effectiveness against various types of cancer.

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, keith101 said:

Is doing a 90 day an essential task in order to leave home ?

Actually a very valid question! If people who cannot leave the country get fined 500 baht a day overstay, then  the same may apply to not doing your 90 day reporting!

21 minutes ago, Bertil said:

Koh Million? hehe

Is that a new name for Koh Larn?

Google translate in action but yes, larn = million. Maybe it was named by some clearvoyant who saw a million infected Chinese tourists fighting for a beach chair.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:57 AM, webfact said:

Thailand to declare one-month emergency on March 26 - prime minister

2020-03-24T075215Z_1_LYNXMPEG2N0KF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

Passengers sit in the train as they follow social distancing suggestion due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Bangkok, Thailand March 24, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will be in an emergency mode from March 26 for a month to deal with the coronavirus outbreak, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told a news conference on Tuesday.

The emergency decree will mean the prime minister will have the executive power to declare further measures to contain the virus, including giving extra authority to officials and allowing the setting up of checkpoints to reduce people movements, Prayuth said.

He said details of the measures will be announced later.

Thailand reported three deaths and 106 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday. The country now has 827 cases and four fatalities since the outbreak began.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-umm, Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-24

Put the darn phones down.  Take in your surroundings.

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Nonsense. I flew out yesterday. The requirements that you mention are for inbound people, not people leaving. At Swampy there is only one entrance open at departure level where they thermoscan you and attach a pink dot sticker to your shirt if you pass. Similar setup in the basement coming off airport link.

All of the fingerprint scanners have been taken out of service. The place was petty well deserted compared to normal.

No its you who is spouting the nonsence. I was replying to member @Slip who is currently in the UK and has an inbound flight to Thailand on the 31st. Try reading the posts properly before commenting.

6 hours ago, Slip said:

Best of luck then and dont forget the requirements I mentioned or you wont be coming.

• Thanks 1

Many complains. Did anyone before crisis know than they lived an temporary one year visa with no right at all. Build a house for 5.000.000 with temporary one year visa?  Is it clever  thing to do.?

Ok if people 20 years old maybe. But not when they pass 40 years of age.

Look like they get want they deserve