Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Given what has happened around the world, I suppose it was only a matter of time before serious restrictions were imposed. The big question of course will be in the details, as to what and how often are you allowed out to purchase food and other essentials. At the end of the day, if it can see the back of the virus here, we have to go along with it.

Wouldn't want to have my visa expiring in the next thirty days though as immigration don't seem to be overly kindly with overstays, regardless of how they happen.

Wasn't it clearly stated today that anyone with a TR visa or exempt stamp gets a 30 day extension from the immigration even without a letter from the embassy? Here's the thread about it: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Metapod said:

Look at the actual data instead of just reading headlines and death stats and freaking out like a retard.

The median age of death in Italy from covid-19 is 81 years old, which 90% of the deaths being those over 70. I can understand if that scares you as most of you on here are old as <deleted>, but if you are an at-risk group, you absolutely should be isolating and quarantining.

You are missing a vital piece of data. What percentage of those that die are under 60?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:
  41 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The virus originated from a bat - it doesn't like the sunlight. 

you are now ...   chief major blah blah big wig of viral solutions!

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The bat bit the pangolin (also nocturnal) and the rest is history. 

It's like the old cautionary song - "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly... I guess she'll die" 

I already gave you the promotion ...enough with these facts ... now wheres my brown envelope?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, it´s not. This is something that a government can impose in almost every country in the world. Totally different. You should be happy that they try to do something instead.

Yeah right... They didn't fix the election quite well enough and had to disband opposition. Now a chance for them to "legitimately" regain ultimate control.. 

We shall see ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Return to your own country and re plan your migration for when this is all over.

Easier said than done quickly. Also, not sure that's the best choice for me. Exploring all options. 

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yeah right... They didn't fix the election quite well enough and had to disband opposition. Now a chance for them to "legitimately" regain ultimate control.. 

We shall see ????

Sure, we have to wait and see. Nobody, can be sure of anything. However, as you seem to complain. Do you rather see them doing nothing for trying to contain the spread of the virus? Or maybe you have some better ideas how to work through this?

56 minutes ago, smedly said:

Have you asked Immigration these questions or are you making it up as you go

As usual you do not know what you read. Do you understand the word assume? I used it 2 times in my post. I assume you have your answer there. What do you assume? (More than making a useless post bases upon poor understanding.)

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

No playing games at all. I have roof over my head in Thailand and Taiwan and split most of my time these places or in Laos. Got blocked going back to Taiwan because my life is more itinerant and no ARC. In US, my parents, whom I would stay with, are elderly and infirm and in total seclusion in fear for their lives. My brother's house is in quarantine. Also, going back to USA which is gonna have the worst epidemic in the world would be moronic. Seems most countries, such as PI Korea and Taiwan are making it easier for people to extend and stay legally with automatic extensions or for overstayers to come forward and stay. Why can't Thailand show some compassion and let people weather the storm here.

Because you are here on a tourist visa. You're gaming the system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Why introduce a state of emergency but fail to provide any details of what it entails?

Probably Wissanu going through the lawbooks to see if Article 44 can be reinstated!

I don't know how it works here but normally the difficult part is declaring the emergency, particularly in a democracy. Once you've done that you can quickly take the measures that you'll feel necessary at the time. 

I don't know if these are the same emergency measures that were used during the red shirt protests. They were existing ones put  in place by Thaksin but they may have changed since then. 

The way its being done is petty normal. The issue is are they used responsibly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1