Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, jomtien99 said:

The State of Emergency gives the PM more power to control the media (as if it was already free), and I suppose even shut down social media - dangerous indeed

Along with the State of Emergency announcement they said they will be monitoring social media. They threatened the Thai star that told everyone he had COVID-19 and have just arrested a traveller for posting that he was not scanned on arrival at one of the airports.

Dangerous game they are playing here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zikomat said:

People are refused 30 day extensionS all over Thailand now.

Just did it yesterday morning at Phatthalung Immigration Office, staff was extremely helpful and process very straightforward; furthermore I was the only one in the room so no queue and in 10 minutes I was outside already.

Edited by Simon85
Misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thought it came from China an Asian country. Came here from China. Went to Italy from China. Spread around the world initially from CHINA.

well for some facts and stats don't matter, only fear emotion and hysteria.

WuFlu came from china, probably was spreading for a few months before it hit the news, seems logical. Thailand was running at a rate of about 9 million chinese tourists through the end of 2019 (google searching). Probably a fair number of them were from Wuhan (hence the name WuFlu for the snowflakes out there that are melting) and were sick.

Maybe hot weather kills it, maybe, maybe some thais got and thought it was flu before it was relabeled a killer virus terror. Can't really prove a negative but I would think that with so many chinese visitors the number here would have already been much higher.

It's the flu.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Metapod said:

The reason is people like you who are ignorant and driven by fear. Zero critical thought or rationality at all.

Instead of destroying the world economy, we should be isolating and quarantining the old and sick, while the rest of the world moves on. The hospitals will be able to cope fine without needing to look after all of the aging and sick patients, and the healthy individuals will develop immunities to the virus. The rest need to wait for a vaccine, which will most likely be 14-18 months away. 

Look at the actual data instead of just reading headlines and death stats and freaking out like a retard.

The median age of death in Italy from covid-19 is 81 years old, which 90% of the deaths being those over 70. I can understand if that scares you as most of you on here are old as <deleted>, but if you are an at-risk group, you absolutely should be isolating and quarantining.

The damage done by the political knee-jerk reactions of shutting down the world economy is going to cause FAR MORE harm to FAR MORE people than covid-19 ever could. 

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

"According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old."

You are totally wrong I am absoluteltly not ignorant to anything (to ignore the reality as you seems to advocate will however be). You also are wrong when you say that "The damage done by the political knee-jerk reactions of shutting down the world economy is going to cause FAR MORE harm to FAR MORE people than covid-19 ever could". Those who started the economical down spiral was not the politicans. It was the investors trying to survive theire money. The politicans, at least in most contries, provinces and so on, "only" try to survive the country, province and so on and they of course also have to make a decition, what is the most important at this time? To save life or to save the economy. Your talk about who dies and their ages, just show that you are ignorant, selfish and that you not unerstand the complex of the situation. Let me tell you that in my homecountry, the youngest person that are given emergency Care because of the Corona virus is twentone years old and there are many between 21 -50 in the country that get the same Emergency Care caused of the Corona virus. Probably some of them are going to die and some of them will survive, but the thing is that they make it hard for the hospital to tke the right care of other patients that not have the Corona virus but will die because of lack of needed treatment because the hospital have to make decitions who to give treatment in first place. Open your eyes and realise the reality. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Probably because the authorities have had enough of farangs criticising the whole country, justifiably or not (I’m sure they monitor TVF closely, this being the main source of news and forum for expats). 

My partner was chatting with our neighbour (keeping the appropriate social distance of course). Her husband is a recently retired senior ranking official of the border police. Word was that they are happy for genuine expats to continue living here but those gaming the system are not tolerated. Politically, the best way is by subtle measures, such as the ones currently being employed at immigration offices all over the country. 

Expect more crackdowns people, if you don’t have the correct visa and the necessary funds. 

Well, I don't mean to try to be funny, but isn't it obvious that immigration ( all over the world) want to have genuine residents and get rid of the one playing with the rules ?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, we have to wait and see. Nobody, can be sure of anything. However, as you seem to complain. Do you rather see them doing nothing for trying to contain the spread of the virus? Or maybe you have some better ideas how to work through this?

shut down the government? just saying.

na, they'll shoot themselves in their political heads to be seen "doing something". Nevermind that shutting an economy down points may well dive it into a depression, kill businesses, bankruptcies, eliminate jobs, oh, and far reduce TAX COLLECTION (oops did we not think of that).

Said it before, people out of work, bankrupted, no money - this leads to hunger, to anger, and pretty soon that will get expressed in very bad ways. I'll say big daddy will kill any future chances he might be looking forward to if an election were to follow. Angry people look to blame someone, just the way it works.

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

You are totally wrong I am absoluteltly not ignorant to anything (to ignore the reality as you seems to advocate will however be). You also are wrong when you say that "The damage done by the political knee-jerk reactions of shutting down the world economy is going to cause FAR MORE harm to FAR MORE people than covid-19 ever could". Those who started the economical down spiral was not the politicans. It was the investors trying to survive theire money. The politicans, at least in most contries, provinces and so on, "only" try to survive the country, province and so on and they of course also have to make a decition, what is the most important at this time? To save life or to save the economy. Your talk about who dies and their ages, just show that you are ignorant, selfish and that you not unerstand the complex of the situation. Let me tell you that in my homecountry, the youngest person that are given emergency Care because of the Corona virus is twentone years old and there are many between 21 -50 in the country that get the same Emergency Care caused of the Corona virus. Probably some of them are going to die and some of them will survive, but the thing is that they make it hard for the hospital to tke the right care of other patients that not have the Corona virus but will die because of lack of needed treatment because the hospital have to make decitions who to give treatment in first place. Open your eyes and realise the reality. 

I tend to agree with metapod. I do feel that the goal does not justify the means and it going to be far more hurtful that the virus itself.

We are basing our judgement on numbers which are wrong (not manipulated) by definition as no one knows the real figures and they are certainly much more than the official results, meaning that maybe, although highly contagious (not airborne though) we are not sure to what extent

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Current virus spreading in Thailand is Italian variety, not Chinese one. This one is about 5x more deadly than the Chinese one.

uh huh.. and it seeks out very old in preexisting poor heath conditions and with compromised immune systems. But if you want to call it the SuperWuFlu, go right head.

Just now, Drew3223 said:

Whilst the children squabble, I have a serious question - can anyone tell me if they will shut down restaurants as part of the emergency decree coming in on 26th March? 

As restaurants in Bangkok are only open for "takeaway" I would expect them to do the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

The 2 doctors that died in Wuhan were both in their 30's with no pre existing conditions.

Yes, but being doctors in Wuhan, the were probably up their armpits in it day in day out. Much higher risk category than your average prole.

FWIW, in Spain where it's going off like a bottle rocket, 1 in 12 of those being reported as infected are health workers. Just heard that on the Beeb.

17 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The definition of the word ‘tourist’ by google:

— a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

Now based on what do you claim that I am not a tourist if I already got several tourist visas in the Thai embassy in Cambodia. I am a perfect tourist for google, I am a perfect tourist for Thai embassy, but, for some reason, I am just a cheater gaming the system for you. Again, more explanation needed.

But were you just ‘visiting’ (like a real tourist) or were you actually ‘living’ here? My daughters come here every year as tourists. They stay for 3-4 weeks. We travel around the country, enjoying the sights and sounds and flavours. They then return to the UK where they ‘live’. 

In all these years, they’ve never had a problem with IO’s in Swampy or DMK. 

See the difference?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

Whilst the children squabble, I have a serious question - can anyone tell me if they will shut down restaurants as part of the emergency decree coming in on 26th March? 

depends if they are mafia-run or not

Heh, I'll throw a wrench into your guys' bickering about tourists. I'm on a tourist visa on entry. However, I'm a teacher between jobs. One term just ended, and I have the new job offer in hand. I was actually supposed to start teaching summer school, which got canceled given the current events. Now I'm waiting for school in May, which I'm hoping starts on time.

Once you leave your job on your Non-B, you've gotta leave the country IMMEDIATELY. Not 24 hours as some have said, as for a previous job I was fined for one day overstay upon getting the new Non-B. Leaving the country, coming back, and waiting for your new Non-B as a tourist is standard procedure.

So, since I wasn't able to start for summer school, now I've got my first tourist extension coming up. If school's delayed, I'm going to need another. I hope this job offer, and perhaps an embassy letter, is enough to garner sympathy with immigration. I'm not looking to abuse tourist visas. Most of my time in Thailand has been spent working. There's not much for me to go home to, certainly not in the way of jobs right now. I want to stay in Thailand and work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

If they are sensible they will, as gatherings of people not observing social distancing assits the spread of the virus.

Remebering that the current modelling that each infected person infects 2.5 persons, that is why the contagion is spreading so rapidly, those 2.5 persons go onto infect 2.5 persons each, and remember that many remain asymptomatic for many days after infection.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

But were you just ‘visiting’ (like a real tourist) or were you actually ‘living’ here? My daughters come here every year as tourists. They stay for 3-4 weeks. We travel around the country, enjoying the sights and sounds and flavours. They then return to the UK where they ‘live’. 

In all these years, they’ve never had a problem with IO’s in Swampy or DMK. 

See the difference?

If you are familiar with the Thai nightlife terminology you should know that though there is a clear distinction before Short time and Long time - still both terms refer to the one and the same type of mongering activity. Same with the tourism. You can be a one day tourist and you can also be a long time tourist exploring the place on a, so to say, DEEPER level.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1