Cycling locally

bluesofa

38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I walk in country every morning. Like you I keep well clear of the few others that I might meet along the way. I don't feel that there is any problem with this and it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I work on the assumption that 'if they're not bothered, why should I be?' There haven't been any issues so far. 

I walk in the evenings and have no problem keeping my distance as I can never keep up with my wife or son no2! ????

(90mins/4kms in hilly conditions a short drive from home)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I take it you're referring groups in Thailand who are saying this?

Wear a mask - the only use this has is to to give others peace of mind. It has no real use at all.

I wore one for the first time in Big C yesterday with my wife to avoid locals pointing at me for not wearing one and for no other reason.

"I take it you're referring groups in Thailand who are saying this?"

A negative on Thai centric groups... This subject has been well covered on an international level, please note Google is your friend ????

"Wear a mask - the only use this has is to to give others peace of mind. It has no real use at all."   
Many masks may not prevent you from catching the virus as their filtering level and the lack of understanding by the user regarding proper protocols while using a mask.

What they do is help lower the risk of others catching the virus, (this is the primary purpose of surgical masks, and well documented) and yes as noted they provide a level of acceptance and comfort to others.

Personally, using a mask is a small thing, and the thought of infecting my family, friends or others through my inaction or or feeling superior to others is sufficient for me to do what I can to protect those my loved ones. 

What you do is up to you... Good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah there are people in my village that do morning and afternoon walks/jogs. I'm going get going on the jogging myself too. Some wear masks and others don't. (Thais)

I'd say wearing a mask will surely look good in front of other Thais as being a foreigner. I doubt for a jog I will be wearing one though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SimpleMan555 said:

"I take it you're referring groups in Thailand who are saying this?"

A negative on Thai centric groups... This subject has been well covered on an international level, please note Google is your friend ????

"Wear a mask - the only use this has is to to give others peace of mind. It has no real use at all."   
Many masks may not prevent you from catching the virus as their filtering level and the lack of understanding by the user regarding proper protocols while using a mask.

What they do is help lower the risk of others catching the virus, (this is the primary purpose of surgical masks, and well documented) and yes as noted they provide a level of acceptance and comfort to others.

Personally, using a mask is a small thing, and the thought of infecting my family, friends or others through my inaction or or feeling superior to others is sufficient for me to do what I can to protect those my loved ones. 

What you do is up to you... Good luck!

This is part of a post I made recently:

Surgical (cloth) masks were designed over a hundred years ago for use by surgeons in operating theatres to stop their own saliva, mucus, etc., infecting the patients they were operating on. They were never designed to prevent wearers contracting an airborne infection.

From the WHO video I saw a few days ago, they said the same thing: If you have Covid-19, wearing one will reduce the chance of you infecting someone else.

I also read an article in the UK press about face masks and why they're so popular in Asia:
<quote>
According to behavioural psychologist Jo Hemmings, herd mentality, and a mixture of fear and greed. When we see others do it, we feel we might be missing out if we dont copy them. It is a way of taking some control in a situation we have little control over. Interestingly though, in spite of the panic buying of masks, you still see very few people actually wearing them out and about. At the moment they seem to be an insurance policy -people just feel safer just owning them.

Medical Anthropologist Florence Walker suggests that many of us simply dont believe the authorities who tell us masks are useless. Hand-washing doesn't have the same magical talisman property that a face mask has, she says. In some ways its difficult to comprehend how masks couldn't work.

As to whether well all be wearing them in the West at some point? No. Not overnight, at least, she says. Face mask wearing has been a staple public health measure in Asia since the 1910 flu outbreak. Its ingrained into their cultural psyche in a way it isn't here.
<end quote>

• Like 2

right now, I am riding my bike as normal. I think just about everyone agrees that becoming infected relies on being very close to others or touching something that is virus contaminated.

If i am biking and avoid these two situations, I feel quite safe and confident. A curfew will stop me though!

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does that seem reasonable, or is someone going to tell I'm missing something obvious?

Knowing you, if you go in the opposite direction to the big city, you shouldn't have any problem.
Or else you come to my place and there you will be quiet, the day when we will see a policeman or a soldier on the roads on which I drive has not yet arrived.
And as the pouya-ban of the surrounding villages know me, nobody will blow at the police station that a farang is riding a bicycle

On the other hand, we will have to put back in a few months the two projects that we have together, namely on the one hand, going to meet Owl and on the other hand going to have a drink or more at Colin's house...

Don't forget to breathe well and drink little but very regularly

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Knowing you, if you go in the opposite direction to the big city, you shouldn't have any problem.
Or else you come to my place and there you will be quiet, the day when we will see a policeman or a soldier on the roads on which I drive has not yet arrived.
And as the pouya-ban of the surrounding villages know me, nobody will blow at the police station that a farang is riding a bicycle

On the other hand, we will have to put back in a few months the two projects that we have together, namely on the one hand, going to meet Owl and on the other hand going to have a drink or more at Colin's house...

Don't forget to breathe well and drink little but very regularly

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

I cycle but I find it difficult to breath properly when wearing a mask (I don't ride slowly). I easily solved the problem by cutting a hole in the front of the mask!   ????????

There are three remedies to the 'difficult to breathe' dilemma Jungle Biker.

The most obvious one is to not put the mask over the nose. This will free up the nose for that special breathing technique that I've wrote so extensively about recently.

Secondly; develop a breathing rhythm. When I'm riding my Carrera I say to myself 'one, two, two, three; one, two, two, three. Of course you could use other numbers but, one, two, two, three, works for me.

And thirdly; slow down a little. We all like to ride fast, but better to be able to breathe than not to; if you get my drift.

Cutting a hole in the front of the mask is a great idea. If the bar-wallers were to do this in Patts, and use a straw to suck up their beer, we would be better thought of by the government.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I walk in country every morning. Like you I keep well clear of the few others that I might meet along the way. I don't feel that there is any problem with this and it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I work on the assumption that 'if they're not bothered, why should I be?' There haven't been any issues so far. 

I jog daily in Lumpini park in the morning.  All of the gym equipment and playground equipment has been roped off with signs everywhere indicating the park can only be used for running or walking, did not see anything regarding biking around the park.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Cycling on your own is no risk except possible accident then hospital then Corona. I cycle in a small group, we don't get too close when cycling and use social distancing when stopping for coffee or food. The authorities are ignoring the impact of people not being able to get out and socialize and exercise. Social distancing should be the max restriction they do

6 hours ago, marquis22 said:

I still cycle along the roads and tracks out by the paddy fields.I do not meet anyone or if a farmer is nearby then just a wave and smile.

So we wait to hear if it is illegal to go out on the bike?

During the curfew,yes. From 7pm- 7am starting most likely March 26 you're not allowed outside your home. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling on your own is no risk except possible accident then hospital then Corona. I cycle in a small group, we don't get too close when cycling and use social distancing when stopping for coffee or food. The authorities are ignoring the impact of people not being able to get out and socialize and exercise. Social distancing should be the max restriction they do

"Social distancing should be the max restriction they do."

It seems you don't read the news. If the curfew kicks in tomorrow March 26, you're not allowed to go outside your home between 7pm and 7am for a month. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Social distancing should be the max restriction they do."

It seems you don't read the news. If the curfew kicks in tomorrow March 26, you're not allowed to go outside your home between 7pm and 7am for a month. 

Yes i know, i said "should be" not "will be"

Edited by scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, Mises said:

I was out cycling early this morning (no stupid mask) and overtook a slim shapely younger lady doing the same.  I thought, "I would n't mind swapping spit with you." 

Photo please - of her, not you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

Sure it's not 1.3 metres. Beware the Plod with measuring tape.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

During the curfew,yes. From 7pm- 7am starting most likely March 26 you're not allowed outside your home. 

Dash it all, I was thinking of cycling to try and get the 30 day extension. Hope immigration is open after 7 pm?

I have often gone out after 7 pm but not on the dirt tracks, just along the concrete road bordering the klong.