I’m arriving in Chiang Mai tomorrow and didn’t expect this

finy

3 hours ago, finy said:

I was tested for virus at train station and I’m fine.

Hopefully I can get away with saying I’ve come from Samui and I just passed through BKK.

Hopefully you can get away with saying you came from somewhere else? The stupidity is astounding. Don't try to get away with anything - just how selfish are you? Don't come to CM, go home. People who try to get around the rules for their own convenience at the moment could literally be responsible for hundreds of deaths in the future.

4 hours ago, Genmai said:

Get your head out of your ass and in with the program. No, you were NOT tested for the virus. You had an infrared thermometer of questionable utility pointed at your forehead. Means absolutely **** all. I think you're beyond help but please for the sake of others STAY INDOORS.

Bit of a strident response....

Please refer yourself to that epic post of your earlier this morning.

*Laugh emoji*

Strange post. Given the world, including Thailand, has been experiencing the virus and rules, lockdowns, death, overwhelmed medical facilities, lack of basics for sale, and more for many weeks, why would anybody travel at this time, and how did you travel to Chiang Mai?

10 hours ago, finy said:

I was on the islands (Samui) and they didn’t shut the bars until the last few nights of my holiday.

Nobody was saying anything about how serious it was up here (island life)

It is country wide and not just Chiang Mai.

All the entertainment places will be closed. 

All the beaches will be closed.

You can't dine in at restaurants just take-away.

So it's best to go back to your home country unless you don't mind boredom for the next one month. It might even be extended beyond one month.

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Tested for what?

Tested for stupidity and they sent him on his way because he had no foresight to look at the news or on his phones news feed, probably only concerned with escaping from himself......Stupid is as Stupid does.  I am sure all those on the bus that were crammed shoulder to shoulder from Mo Chit had a fit to ride certificate issued, HAHAHAHA.  Again last night they opened up the countries borders to let the migrant workers escape and get to their home countries and spread the love to their own families.  Thailand has no cares about people only the top 1%.  Lets see what this coming emergency degree imposes.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I am not sure after all the rules come into effect that you will be able to rent a room that easy here, but there are literally hundreds open. 

Getting a room will be easy because most are empty nowadays. The problem is the boredom and being cramped into a small room.

I once had a crazy Canadian neighbour at a condo who rarely take a bath and everytime he opens his door, the smell is overwhelming.

Then there are neighbours who play their horrible music out loud enough to drive you crazy.

Edited by EricTh

11 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

i use AVG anti-virus to scan each post and then CCleaner to clean up after i've finished reading it.

(clean) fingers crossed that will keep me safe.

Thailand has 827 cases + 4 deaths as of today.

It's been claimed monks first brought it back from Malaysia and it was passed to hundreds of people at a boxing match.

Mo Chit is one bus station in a country with tens of millions of citizens. There are other big bus stations in Bangkok and a train station. And there is of course BTS and MRT.

Employees in Mo Chit work really hard to keep people safe. They have paper on every second seat so people can't sit close to each other, I didn't see anyone without a mask, they record the temperature of everything coming in, and they used hand sanitizer non-stop.

You're scaremongering people into thinking Mo Chit is dangerous when at most a few cases probably originated there and zero deaths.

And this has been going on for a few months now.

Go easy with attacking places and their employees.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

First and last time i every visited Koh Samui way back in 2004 it was totally encircled with bars, hotels and girly bars. Now? well my guess anyone going to stay there has internet connectivity at about #43 on their 'nice to have' list.

Exactly.

Samui is one of the only places I can recall from memory where nobody walks around with their head in phones or sits in resturants/coffee shops with friends glued to their screens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pdtokyo said:

... i think you responded to the wrong post there old chap ... my post #50 has nothing to do with death or attacking anything. I am a positive and life-affirming type of individual.

Yeah it was the guy you quoted.

I just didn't go back to find the original.

It's just my opinion anyway, people can think what they like.

13 hours ago, finy said:

I didn’t realise the city was on lockdown.

Can anyone please provide a link to the rules you need to follow?

I’m on my phone and it’s hard to find anything.

I was expecting to arrive at the bus station and get songthaew to city center like usual.

I can walk but will I be fined for being outdoors?

Will I be able to find any guest houses I can book into?

I you didn´t realized that yet, you must have been living in a cave. Sorry!

The guidelines of the curfew is supposed to be published today. Just check here on TVF and the english news.

I you arrive you will have to walk to accomodation. Daytime probably no curfew too.

There will be plenty of accomodation. It´s not really high season now.

7 minutes ago, finy said:

Yeah it was the guy you quoted.

I just didn't go back to find the original.

It's just my opinion anyway, people can think what they like.

Yeah, don’t stress.

Just get a room, where you’ve stayed before might be helpful for you.

Get a room and hunker down, nice low profile...

40 minutes ago, finy said:

You're scaremongering people into thinking Mo Chit is dangerous when at most a few cases probably originated there and zero deaths.

The photos of the crowds at Mo Chit trying to get out of Bangkok is what has alarmed everyone. Regardless of whether they placed a sheet of paper on alternate seats, what is scary is the thought of all these potentially infected people flooding out all over Thailand, just when the government is about to ban all inter-province travel. Too late, as usual.

40 minutes ago, finy said:

Go easy with attacking places and their employees.

Finy, genuine question: do you really not understand what is about to happen in Thailand?

The reputation of "places and their employees" is all about to go up in smoke. People in Thailand will be talking for decades about the stupidity of what was allowed to happen this month and the terrible consequences. 

No one is scaremongering. This is really happening. If you have somehow managed to miss some of the key information, take the time to research it now. I don't know how old you are, hopefully in your 20's, but if you get sick with this thing while in Thailand you could be in real danger of dying, especially once the medical system is overwhelmed. That is what is happening in Italy right now (10% mortality rate). It is absolutely about to happen in Thailand.

At this stage, anyone wandering around in public, or catching buses, or hanging around travel hubs, is almost certainly getting exposed. The people who get exposed today will be dealing with the illness in about two weeks. Most will just have a lousy couple of weeks sweating in a bed, but about 20% will require hospital treatment that simply won't be available by then. Based on what we're seeing in Italy, about half of those people will recover but with permanent organ damage, and the other half will die.

This is serious. I'm not sure I fully understand how you missed something the world has been talking about since the beginning of the year and which was declared an international public health emergency in late January, but, okay. You were unlucky. Well, now you know, or should at least be catching up.

I understand that it must all seem unreal, as if the whole dream will just disappear again, but you need to snap yourself awake in time to make a real decision about where you want to be for this thing. Hastily organized lodgings in Thailand may not be the best place to deal with a prolonged lockdown, never mind the possibility that you might have to go through a serious illness with no medical help. Despite the best efforts of the staff, some of the people who passed through Mo Chit with you today are going to die that way over the coming months.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

From what i have heard the curfew starts on 26th and is from 7pm to 7am

what curfew? I cannot find any announcement of a curfew for CM or anywhere else in Thailand. Please post the details instead of just making a statement that has not yet been published. As far as I'm aware a curfew is still under consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

what curfew? I cannot find any announcement of a curfew for CM or anywhere else in Thailand. Please post the details instead of just making a statement that has not yet been published. As far as I'm aware a curfew is still under consideration.

How about this?

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-pm-announces-emergency-decree-comes-into-effect-on-march-26

14 hours ago, finy said:

I was on the islands (Samui) and they didn’t shut the bars until the last few nights of my holiday.

Nobody was saying anything about how serious it was up here (island life)

So I really had no clue.

I don’t mind a Netflix binge for a few weeks.

Just want new visa and get room safely.

Samui is probably safer.  Get off the bus and go back.

What rock have you been under? Why are you traveling? I just don’t get why, anyone thinks it’s okay to travel?  Thailand is smart. They are closed . The country goes into a state of emergency tomorrow. Nothing will be open. 

2 hours ago, PeteDaKat said:

That’s not an announcement of a curfew, it’s an announcement that a state of emergency will be declared on Thursday, with a list of some of the powers that state of emergency gives the PM. Nobody in the government has mentioned anything about a curfew as of yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

That’s not an announcement of a curfew, it’s an announcement that a state of emergency will be declared on Thursday...

Let me know what you find: I bet people are operating off paragraph 8 of the article I linked to:

Level 1 – general emergency situations.

No one may leave the home within the specified period. Unless authorised by a competent official. The current news says that the curfew will be specified at 19.00-07.00 hrs (7pm-7am).