PEA suspending payments - are offices closed?

I just saw that the MEA said they are closing their offices due to Covid-19.

Without going to their office to check, does anyone know what the situation is with the PEA regarding paying bills?

Their call centre number 1129 isn't working.

Can I pay at 7 Eleven if say, the PEA offices are closed and billing information isn't being uploaded to facilitate paying at 7 Eleven?

I tried looking at the website https://www.pea.co.th/en  there's no mention of Covid-19 there at all. Sadly the last news item dates back to October last year.  

22 minutes ago, CLS said:

You can use the PEA app to pay your electric bill.

Hmm, OK.

Before I try to download it, can you tell me if you can pay it if the bill is not in your name?

We have three bills and for various reasons none are in my name or my wife's name.

Plus does that mean I have to sign up for another app to use my bank account on my phone?

I've had internet banking on my laptop for years and don't want to trust a banking app that I might use away from my own Wi-Fi connection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

You can pay with any bank app

I agree.  Try using different Thai banking apps to scan and pay the bill.   (it might not work with one bank, but might work with 2nd bank).   

So you can do an initial scan to see if the bills can be paid.  If they show up as payable after scanning, then you know you can pay them.

But there may be a limit on how long it takes to pay.   Like the water bill if you miss the deadline after a few days, the scan will come up as "this bill is no longer payable with this method.  Please contact the biller customer service".   Basically meaning you have to go to the office to pay.

• Like 1

OP I get your point. Today we tried the usual payment route using one of two local agents both said payments suspended awaiting confirmation that the government is about to authorise 5k Baht to households for bills. I won't hold my breath on that. I will have a go at paying on my phone app from Krung Thai.

Not used the scan method but will give it a go.

Last thing we need is no power for non-payment.

Can't connect to website

As the OP, here's my update:

I've just been to PEA in Udon (the Ring Road office near Big C) they're open.

Outside in the car park under a canopy everyone was being scanned to have their temperature checked, given a squirt of hand sanitiser to rub into their hands.

Then into the office as usual.

Thanks for all the suggestions about alternative payment options.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CLS said:

You can use the PEA app to pay your electric bill.

Currently crashed, MEA and PEA overloaded due to some "refund" announcement.

I have written this in the no money at ATM thread.

With online banking app (on mobile) you can use scan function.

Scan barcode of the bill.

Otherwise go to 7/11 (and some others).

If you have Thai bank account and (debit) card, go to your banks ATM and scan the bill there or type in manually (might be complicated).

And check the due date and wait if possible.

Currently chaotic.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I wouldn’t worry about the power company too much yet they’re still working I just saw them on the 21st working on our street because we had a power outage after we had lightning strike the power lines outside in fact I actually saw the lightening strike out the window! It hit the power box on the telephone pole and it exploded like a bomb. But they fixed it pretty quick so far so good the world is still moving. 

The PEA app is very slow today as is the website, I was checking my bill earlier.

It could be something to do with the refund of the deposits on the meters starting today, I think its just an online application with refunds deposited in Thai bank accounts.

image.png.c66d8a45150aafb629103add3de74a41.png

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, OK.

Before I try to download it, can you tell me if you can pay it if the bill is not in your name?

We have three bills and for various reasons none are in my name or my wife's name.

Plus does that mean I have to sign up for another app to use my bank account on my phone?

I've had internet banking on my laptop for years and don't want to trust a banking app that I might use away from my own Wi-Fi connection.

You don't trust an app from an electricity company? 

You do know it's 2020? If you prefer paying a bill at 7/11 instead of doing it the modern way, then go to nearest store and see if it works or not. 

On 3/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, bluesofa said:

Hmm, OK.

not much choice .. 

On 3/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, justin case said:

any deaths related to lumpini ?  

15 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Try already all day to pay with the PEA App, but get all the time "system too crowded" message. Normally it works fine.

Same for me. Been trying since 24th to pay the bill, but just get the "system too crowded" all the time.

13 hours ago, ripstanley said:

My wife paid today at the Phayao office. It was about 1140. She said it was very busy.

I stayed in the car

Yesterday PEA said on TV they want people to use the app if possible, or pay online using bank apps. So, "I guess" they will close their offices. 

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Same for me. Been trying since 24th to pay the bill, but just get the "system too crowded" all the time.

Because of the virus lots of people have started to use the PEA app, and at the same time. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yesterday PEA said on TV they want people to use the app if possible, or pay online using bank apps. So, "I guess" they will close their offices. 

In that case, it might be a good idea if they posted something on their website about it - and if they do, an English translation would be a good idea.

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes and still the same today.

Tried barcode/QR code scan with the mobile (Bangkok Bank, SCB) to no avail.

As planned to drive to town anyway I tried the old fashioned route.

Office was opened, bill paid and done (for now).

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

As already written elsewhere: the breakdown of the online system (incl app) has a very specific reason. It's related to some refund action where a four digit amount is paid to every household/meter. A huge amount of people try to apply online and that is too much for the servers.

I doubt they will close the offices.

No way that the peasants here can do online payment via some app.

That's a long way to go.

Edited by KhunBENQ