Phuket: Bar girl, dancer, waitress and bouncer all infected with coronavirus at Soi Bangla - foreigners infected too

webfact

Phuket: Bar girl, dancer, waitress and bouncer all infected with coronavirus at Soi Bangla - foreigners infected too

4pm1.jpg

Source: Daily News

The Phuket governor has admitted that many people working in the red light district of Soi Bangla, Phuket have been diagnosed with coronavirus. 

There are nine new cases to add to the 17 already diagnosed - one is a prostitute who had many contacts with people from nations on a list of risky countries. 

Another is a waitress who had contact with many foreigners while working. 

Yet another is a "freelancer" who made frequent visits to Soi Bangla. Another is a 27 year old female dancer and one is a 28 year male club bouncer.

All discovered they had symptoms last week after carrying on normal life at their jobs in the previous days and weeks. 

4pm.jpg

Source: Daily News

Several foreigners have also been diagnosed among the latest cases including a Swedish air hostess who had been to Spain. 

All those infected are in hospital though the authorities have attempted to downplay the outbreak by saying that their symptoms are all mild. 

Governor Pakrapong Thawiphat has now shut down entertainment in his province including the Soi Bangla, Patong area one of the most notorious centers of night life and prostitution in Thailand. 

The nine latest cases in Phuket are as follows:

Case 18: A 33 year old female waitress in Soi Bangla who had contact with many foreigners and started displaying symptoms on March 16th.

Case 19: A 56 year old French engineer who arrived in Phuket with his wife on the 15th and started showing symptoms on the 18th.

Case 20: A 25 year old Swedish air hostess who had recently been in Spain and Sweden. She arrived on a flight from Sweden on the 20th and started showing symptoms that day.

Case 21: A 35 year old female Thai prostitute who had contact with many people from nations on risk lists. She showed symptoms on the 20th.

Case 22: A person described as a "freelance" worker who made frequent trips to Soi Bangla and showed symptoms on the 20th.

Case 23: A 27 year old female dancer in Soi Bangla who had symptoms on the 22nd.

Case 24: A 28 year old Thai man who is a security guard at a club on Soi Bangla.

Case 25: A 62 year old Thai businesswoman who came back to Phuket after developing symptoms in Switzerland.

Case 26: A 62 year old French male golf instructor who had traveled to Spain and Germany and who developed symptoms while in Phuket.

Health authorities in Phuket said that the latest cases clearly fell into two sets: Those who had the virus from Europe and those who developed the disease in the bars and clubs of Phuket after going about their normal business unaware that they were infected. 

It was stressed that their symptoms were mild and their condition in hospital is not serious. 

Picture: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-25
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Maybe I am mistaken or don’t fully understand the virus as yet.

You May have the virus but show no symptoms,thus allowing you to travel or work. Then after a week or two you get sick or start showing the symptoms. Can the virus be spread prior to showing symptoms,or does it get transmitted once the symptoms arrive.

I personally hope that the Thai authorities lock the place down and enforce it with military presence. If not this will continue to escalate and continue for months. I would much rather go through a 4 week isolation or shut down than going on for months or even a year. People have to relize that a lot of Thai people live day to day and cannot afford to have no income for months on end. Better to have a hard shut down for a month,than a year of misery.

You can spread it even if you don't show symptoms.

In the first few days, the number of virus in the body isn't that great but you can still spread the virus when you speak to others via droplets of saliva in the air.

image_1920x_5b1e905f95621.jpg

It is only when the number of virus overwhelms the body after multiplying, that body temperature rise and cough develops.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Why was she allowed to fly back if symptoms had developed overseas? She could have infected an entire planeload of passengers. Dangerously stupid!

A 62 yr old businesswomen who can afford to fly to Switzerland...obviously has connections!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

This could have been prevented. However, money & profits came first. There should have been no entry of  European tourists  and the  bars should have been shut down.

That does count for every country on this planet. They were all too late.

Some countries like Taiwan did a stunning job to contain it...

Safest city on the planet right now......  Wuhan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Later, Anutin will use this case as proof that 'dirty' farang are spreading the virus in Thailand.

I really don't understand why Thailand didn't ban the go-go bars from opening a few weeks back after the Lumpini boxing stadium which also spread to the go-go bars.

Didn't realise prostitution was allowed in Thailand 55555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

But there are no prostitutes in Thailand, especially not, no way, no how....they have checked many times.....

Image result for Facepalm Meme

I wonder if a few just might slip under the radar?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Later, Anutin will use this case as proof that 'dirty' farang are spreading the virus in Thailand.

Then again, probably not.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I really don't understand why Thailand didn't ban the go-go bars from opening a few weeks back after the Lumpini boxing stadium which also spread to the go-go bars.

But they didn't so wringing your hands on why they didn't isn't really important or even relevant any more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Case 20: A 25 year old Swedish air hostess who had recently been in Spain and Sweden. She arrived on a flight from Sweden on the 20th and started showing symptoms that day.

What does this say about the effectiveness of whatever screening they're doing at the airports -- she arrives from international travel and becomes sick the same day?  But no mention of her being detected by airport screening.

Both Sweden and Spain are now on the MOPH's list of "local transmission" countries. I'm not sure Sweden was back on the 20th, since the list was expanded on the 22nd. But Spain definitely was at the time of her arrival.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

You can spread it even if you don't show symptoms.

In the first few days, the number of virus in the body isn't that great but you can still spread the virus when you speak to others via droplets of saliva in the air.

image_1920x_5b1e905f95621.jpg

It is only when the number of virus overwhelms the body after multiplying, that body temperature rise and cough develops.

Thanks for clarifying tha, explains a lot.

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

Maybe I am mistaken or don’t fully understand the virus as yet.

You May have the virus but show no symptoms,thus allowing you to travel or work. Then after a week or two you get sick or start showing the symptoms. Can the virus be spread prior to showing symptoms,or does it get transmitted once the symptoms arrive.

I personally hope that the Thai authorities lock the place down and enforce it with military presence. If not this will continue to escalate and continue for months. I would much rather go through a 4 week isolation or shut down than going on for months or even a year. People have to relize that a lot of Thai people live day to day and cannot afford to have no income for months on end. Better to have a hard shut down for a month,than a year of misery.

A large part of the reason for worldwide panic, is that this is the first virus that I know of, that you are able to spread to others, without being at all symptomatic. I think this is what is causing the greatest degree of concern, this is what is affecting the markets so profoundly, and this is what it causing massive over reaction from the Thai army, and many governments around the world. What is the 7pm curfew going to accomplish? All nightlife is closed anyway. 

• Like 2

Where i live,up country,my neighbour who's wife runs the local bar/resturant told me yesterday he was sitting outside on sunday and could not beleive the amount of sexy girls walking past,as it mainly a bar for expats,many of them were popping in for a quick drink and no doubt hoping to score,these are all the girls from around here who work as bar girls,massage girls ect in Pattaya,Bangkok,Phuket ect and are coming home due to the bar's ect shutting,there is a very large expat population up here,guess were 99.9 per cent of them met there wife or girlfreind,i am no exception by the way,just shows the huge amount of girls from this area that go off to work.My mate has now closed the bar and the take away shop indefinatley.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

This could have been prevented. However, money & profits came first. There should have been no entry of  European tourists  and the  bars should have been shut down.

And Boxing was good and ignored Army ignored them it’s a money maker 

3 hours ago, zhounan said:

So, all the cases are:

1. Because Thais had contact with westerners;

2. Because Thais went to Europe.

At this point, my questions are:

1. Westerners can't get infected in Thailand?

2. There's no Thai to Thai contagion?

3. There's no Thai to westerners contagion?

What's funny is that the Thai prostitutes have been infected by Westerners, and it wasn't them who infected who knows how many Westerners easy and bad sex seekers. ????

What exactly is a "freelancer"?????

Wanders  thru clubs looking for Customers, No job no pimps 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who had the virus from Europe and those who developed the disease in the bars

but  guess what pal its  all the same virus  no  matter how u want to jazz it  up

Edited by Chazar

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Why was she allowed to fly back if symptoms had developed overseas? She could have infected an entire planeload of passengers. Dangerously stupid!

it was the Swiss  fault so its  ok.......wonder if  she notified them (Swiss) before  leaping on that plane  though