Covid-19: Chaos as Thais stranded abroad - hundreds couldn't get on Bangkok bound plane from NZ claims industry insider

webfact

Covid-19: Chaos as Thais stranded abroad - hundreds couldn't get on Bangkok bound plane from NZ claims industry insider

7pm.jpg

Picture: The Bangkok Insight

A member of Thai airways aircrew who was formerly a deputy in charge of staff/company relations has gone on Facebook to say that the plight of Thais abroad trying to return home is getting increasingly desperate. 

Aaron Puranasamriddhi (a Thai man known as Krissanarat) posted calls to the CAAT to sort out the problems as a matter of urgency.

Thais need documentation to get on planes home, he said, including a "Fit to Fly Health Certificate" and a letter from the Thai embassy or consulate where they are announcing their intention to return home. 

Many people are unable to get this documentation. 

He said that on TG 492 from Auckland to Bangkok there were 280 people who wanted to board. 

Only six were allowed to do so as they had the required documentation. 

Some 274 people were arguing to be allowed to board but were left stranded at the airport, he said. 

Source: The Bangkok Insight

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-25
  • Haha 1

You really couldn’t make this stuff up.

Thai bureaucracy reminds me of the Vogons, only minus the god awful poetry.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I wonder if the New Zealand immigration authorities will fine them for overstay or put them in detention centres?

Health wise they will be safer here. Just unable to work. They should still qualify for Government assistance if they were in paid Employment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theres a special level of bureaucratic a$$#holery involved in this one... 

I get the need for a health certificate, that makes sense. 

But for Thai’s to need a letter from their Embassy to travel home involves a degree of dumbfv<kery usually reserved for the requirements placed on foreign retirees in Thailand.

And now how much has it cost this airline to fly a nearly empty plane ?

they are effectively passing responsibility for Thai citizens over to other countries and disowning their own citizens 

forgive them for they know not what they do

52 minutes ago, smedly said:

they are effectively passing responsibility for Thai citizens over to other countries and disowning their own citizens 

forgive them for they know not what they do

This can never be forgiven, what a huge blunder this is...the only thing Prayuth can do now is to send a plane and pick them  up, when they arrive he should be on his knees next to the landing strip prostrating himself to all those citizens and ask them for forgiveness...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

a letter from the Thai embassy or consulate where they are announcing their intention to return home. 

This part I totally don't understand. A Thai national wants to travel back to their home country. Why should they haved to get a document from the Thai Embassy/Consulate wherever they're staying confirming that they want to return home...

What's the point, other than needless bureaucracy...

• Like 2

How dare these Thais be allowed overseas to seek a better life or improved earning opportunities. They should be punished and not allowed to return to their home nation under any circumstances (including global pandemics)!  Thai Rak Thai?

I wonder if the poor Thais are being force to run between NZ immigration and the Thai embassy to get letters requesting that the Thais stuck in NZ to be granted a 30 day extension of stay.  And force to stand in long lines potentially exposing them to Covid-19.  And forcing them to travel when they should stay put.  You know, like Thailand does to NZ citizens stuck in Thailand. Talk about being stuck between a virus and two bureaucracies.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, connda said:

I wonder if the poor Thais are being force to run between NZ immigration and the Thai embassy to get letters requesting that the Thais stuck in NZ to be granted a 30 day extension of stay.  And force to stand in long lines potentially exposing them to Covid-19.  And forcing them to travel when they should stay put.  You know, like Thailand does to NZ citizens stuck in Thailand. Talk about being stuck between a virus and two bureaucracies.