Watch yourself! Court orders Thai held for 12 days after "fake" Covid-19 post - he is later given bail

webfact

Watch yourself! Court orders Thai held for 12 days after "fake" Covid-19 post - he is later given bail

9pm.jpg

People posting untrue or unverified stories about the Covid-19 situation in Thailand may well need to watch their backs, notes Thaivisa. 

Thailand's tech police arrested a 42 year old Phuket man for computer crime after he posted on Facebook that he arrived back at Suvarnabhumi airport from Spain on March 18th and was not subjected to any Covid-19 screening at all. 

A warrant was issued for the arrest of the man described by INN as a "graffiti artist" and he was immediately apprehended and taken to Bangkok.

He appeared at the main court in Ratchadaphisek charged with spreading fake stories that is part of computer crime legislation. 

The court ordered him held for 12 days for evidence gathering. The authorities opposed bail on the grounds that he represented a flight risk and the suspect did not object. 

The court said he would be held from 24th March to 4th April. 

However later the relatives of the man - who INN said was called Danai - then appeared with 100,000 baht in cash and the court decided to grant him bail while the case proceeds. 

Thaivisa notes that Thailand has strict computer crime laws and people online should be especially careful about the veracity of their posts.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I'd be careful being critical of the government at this time. Who knows how far they're going to push the envelope under this emergency decree.

I think it's been pasted to the 'in'side of a box...

just careful to not state exactly which one... 

165580563_arkwarehouse.gif.77880b45c8c8380f1704dfb43bf43834.gif 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I'd be careful being critical of the government at this time. Who knows how far they're going to push the envelope under this emergency decree.

Sshhhh!!! What have I told you about not mentioning the envelope?

19 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Is Section 44 still in force, or did they put it back in its box after the election? I suspect Prayut may be dusting it off again tomorrow.

If you do a quick internet search, you will easily find all the add-ons and caveats that come with any declared State of Emergency in Thailand. It is very far reaching both politically and socially.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

........and extremely lax laws when it comes to hyper-polluted-PM2.5-air in the north of the country which affects the health of millions of people!

I hear that the air has cleared significantly in Wuhan AND they are opening up slowly to visitors.

Pick your poison?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greyhat said:

everyone should start using VPN when posting, although TVF is hosted in the US

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

use a trace route and look yourself

Well maybe maybe not ???

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/205177068-How-does-Cloudflare-work-?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjal6OFvrXoAhUWIbcAHcUdCgIQ9QF6BAgFEAI

A DNS lookup or ping of a proxied Cloudflare subdomain returns Cloudflare IP addresses.  Cloudflare masks your origin IP address for proxied (orange-clouded) DNS records so attackers cannot bypass Cloudflare and directly attack your origin web server.