PHOTOS: Immigration at Chaeng Wattana heaving with foreigners desperately trying to extend their visas

webfact

PHOTOS: Immigration at Chaeng Wattana heaving with foreigners desperately trying to extend their visas

90630985_10159543076378012_220349156772806656_o.jpg

Image: @wirojlak

The Thai Immigration office at Chaeng Wattana has been inundated with foreigners desperately trying to extend their visas due to travel restrictions in place following the outbreak of COVID-19.

The immigraiton office, located at Government Complex in Bangkok, is well known for its long queues, with foreigners often forced to wait for hours on end to renew their permission to remain in Thailand, inform immigration of a change of address or to carry out the required 90 day report.

However, after many neighbouring countries closed their borders and airlines started cancelling flights to and from Thailand, thousands of tourists have been left stranded in the country with their visas either close to or having already expired.

90622955_10159543076383012_4597749017055592448_o.jpg

fb.jpg

Thai Immigration has stated that foreigners whose travel plans have been disrupted by COVID-19 can obtain a 30 day extension, providing they obtain a letter from their embassy.

This has resulted in many immigration offices in Thailand being packed with foreigners in recent days - at a time when there is huge importance on members of the public practicing social distancing in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Photos shared to Twitter showed scores of foreigners waiting at Chaeng Wattana on Tuesday, while many people were seen wearing masks, no social distancing measures were in place. 

And it was a similar scene on Wednesday, according to blogger Richard Barrow, who shared images of throngs of people queing at Chaeng Wattana at 5.30am.

A report posted on Thaivisa on Monday described the scenes at Chaeng Wattana as “chaotic”.

A British tourist also told Thaivisa on Wednesday that the Phetchaburi immigration office in Tha Yang was equally as busy. 

The news comes as immigration on Tuesday announced new measures that would help ensure to keep people one metre apart when inside the Government Complex. 

*post updated to include the ^ tweet directly above

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-25

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Letters are not required for V.O.A or tourist visa just go and apply.pay the fee.Non immigrate visa,i think may need letter? but not required to renew yearly N.I.O retirement visa.90 DAY reports you can do online,i have done all mine online for past 3yrs with very few problems.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Were they not arrested for being part of a large gathering? 

Lighten the immigration laws during this emergency, so foreigners here can self isolate or practice social distancing, thus lessening infection rates, or make them gather together in their thousands for hours on end.

Thailand's decision:

90622955_10159543076383012_4597749017055

Well done Thailand, great decision. :handclap: 

what an absolute cluster kcuf

• Like 2

This is absurd and it increases the odds for spreading COVID19.

Look at all those people X 1900 Baht.

Are we counting eggs? 

I still have no idea what letter they're talking about. 

As far as US Citizens are concerned, I can't seem find any reference to getting the letter for permission.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Bewildering when you think about it .

During the time of a deadly contagious virus, they are making people from all over the World and various parts of Thailand and spend hours congregated together and some will most probably contract the virus and then giving them permission to stay in the country and then for them to go to their homes and spread the virus to all parts of Thailand  , just so they can get a stamp in their passport .

Have more faith. "Team Thailand" has this...