I'm Doomed

ramrod711

I'm not going to the gym, restaurants, hardware stores. I travel in my private vehicle, no buses or song taews. I wear a mask, wash my hands and liberally apply hand cleanser. I have a chest freezer well stocked, and we live in a private house with a gate. What could go wrong? My wife goes to the local Thai market about 3 times a day, that's what. She wears a mask and washes her hands but because most of the local markets in our are are closed, people are flocking to ours. Social distancing? I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I know how you feel.

The local poo yai has closed all the markets here, but a week ago we went to town and did a big shop at Makro and BigC. Now if we need anything we go to one of the 2 shops in the village but we don't need much so are pretty well esconced at home. We should be ok for about a month.

She has also had her brother who lived with us move out as he just scoffed when we asked him to take part in the self isolating. 

All good so far, she is really onboard.

However someone hit it on the head, she misses the gossip and disappears frequently, masked and gelled up, to talk to our one neightbour. She insists they talk from 10 feet apart and both have masks, but it makes me worry if all the other efforts could be in vain for the sake of a chat..

I am working on this ............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Saltire said:

However someone hit it on the head, she misses the gossip and disappears frequently, masked and gelled up, to talk to our one neightbour. She insists they talk from 10 feet apart and both have masks, but it makes me worry if all the other efforts could be in vain for the sake of a chat..

I am working on this ............

If one can't offer the same level of parochial and witless wittering that is their lifeblood and I think that most of us can't, then one simply has to suck it up.

• Thanks 1

Your wife is doing you a huge favour.

The sooner you're infected the sooner you'll be immune. 

That's how the virus will end, everyone will get it and everyone will be immune.

Social distancing is an illusion, as we see once again here. Can't work, won't work. People have to eat. Some have to work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

That's how the virus will end, everyone will get it and everyone will be immune.

Social distancing is an illusion, as we see once again here. Can't work, won't work. People have to eat. Some have to work.

You wont be 100% immune and it might damage your lungs.

Id rather not get it or get it in 4 or 5 months when they might have drugs on the market to treat it better. The clinical trials will tell us if the anti malaria and hiv drugs work in combo. All being fast tracked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Id rather not get it or get it in 4 or 5 months when they might have drugs on the market to treat it better. The clinical trials will tell us if the anti malaria and hiv drugs work in combo. All being fast tracked.

Not to mention that some "expert" on CNN says there is a risk of re-infection, that recovery does not mean automatic immunity.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You may be right, but somehow I'm having a bit of a problem with being grateful.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

You will be 100% immune, maybe forever, maybe for a limited time, but you will be immune. Unless you're an unfortunate exception.

It might damage your lungs if you're one of the relatively small number who die. If you survive you may not damage your lungs in a serious way.

Of course you're right, it's better to get it for the individual when a treatment is available. The odds that you can choose the timing are exceptionally small though. It will get you one way or the other. You may already have it and not know it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Not to mention that some "expert" on CNN says there is a risk of re-infection, that recovery does not mean automatic immunity.

Re-infection has happened. But those are very isolated and rare exceptions.

Prof Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: "However, it is very likely, based on other viral infections, that yes, once a person has had the infection they will generally be immune and won’t get it again. There will always be the odd exception, but that is certainly a reasonable expectation."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Much more likely is that you'll be immune.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You claim that someone getting the virus will then be immune, where did you find that info?

Only last week, there was a news report about a Chinese lady, who got the virus a second time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

You may be right, but somehow I'm having a bit of a problem with being grateful.

I understand. Though if you do get it, she will be the one to nurse you. If it gets serious maybe she'll be asked if the medics should switch the machine off. Maybe not a bad idea to be nice to her.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1