Thailand closes borders to foreigners

I feel a little bad that most of the smiles are gone.  They are all terrified, and some farang with a dumb smile doesn't help much.  if they have kids, i get it....protect your kids.  but don't let your kids see you scared.  be strong for your kids.  

TV farangs will wait 89 days, pay the 20,000 baht, and go to Laos after three months and keep abusing the system

my goal...... get everything down to one backpack.  then i can be mobile.

possible???  i don't think so.  lol

• Confused 3

14 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I don't think it will be a decline now but it may happen after the virus panic is over and people go to renew their visas.  With the borders closed they are definitely going to have an issue if they need to do a border run.

It is going to be interesting to see what the government is going to do for those that re overstay not because they wanted to but because they could not leave.

Up until now we can still leave. I hope to be leaving on Friday, 10 days earlier than scheduled.

I think the next thing will be that airports will start to be shut down around the world which I envisaged a few weeks ago when I rebooked my flight.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

what you believe!
I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol.
I live in the countryside in the middle of rice fields and heveas plantations.
My lung and heart capacities are in excellent condition, according to the last encephalogram and the radio of my lungs made a fortnight ago at the public hospital in Udon Thani.
I am not diabetic or fat, which my bike appreciates, moreover
When I climb Phupalek, 4.8 km at 10% average, I arrive at the top with pulsations at 115/120, so very below my maximum allowed which is, I remind you: 220 minus my age (71 ) = 149

???? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Or have a valid work permit, according to the OP article... even though that detail isn't repeated in the subsequent list of tweet reports by a Thai journalist.

Yes. I have been looking on twitter at that journalist's page and the rachadaspoke account that she is quoting from but I can't find anything that says foreigners with work permits will be allowed.  That would be a relief for me returning from the UK as I will be, so if anyone finds anything official to confirm that please do post. (not that I'm thinking about going anywhere for at least a month before everyone jumps on me)

Edited by Slip
will/would

19 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

This fits in with what the US is doing.  If I did not miss my guess they are trying to follow TRUMP and the doctors in the US as there is no medical staff here that fully understand.

The closure of the borders is a good thing.  However, what they should do is close all airports  other than Don Muang .  The reason I say DMG should be open is they can then herd anyone coming in to the air base and quarantine them there.  

Every country is running into the same problem that people are to stupid to self quarantine.

The pan is sound but just like a lot of big cities and countries the process was lacking.  Before shutting down businesses they c\should have closed the cities and ensured that no one left.

OH well Trump seems to think they can get the country back on it's feet again by Easter.  If that is the case Thailand should not be too far behind.

As to the economy I am not worried it will bounce back.  There may not be the same players and some shops may close but there will always be someone opening a bar, restaurant or such.  Factories will open and things will get back to normal.

This was a snapshot of aircraft in the air over china this morning from flightradar24. Just a few.

FR24.png

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

However, borders will remain open to Thais returning from overseas and to foreigners who are in possession of a valid work permit.

I'm not seeing any source attribution for this particular item in the OP article regarding work permit holders supposedly being exempted???

• Like 1

Just now, RotBenz8888 said:

A decent government would let parents of minor children enter.

I agree if you have the right visa you should be able to enter and if you have a family it makes sense.  BUT once you enter you should be put into a mandatory controled quarantine area for at least 15 days.

• Like 1