Thailand closes borders to foreigners

2 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

The Chinese will be the first tourists welcomed back when the virus subsides. 

I think the thai government is making them the new "long term tourist demographic" for Thailand. Might be time to find another location for us westerners. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Go to Immigration. Tell them you have been earning your living in Thailand by gambling online. Theyll soon find you a way of staying here????

Who said anything about gambling... thanks for the helpful reply, I am sure your other 5000 posts are just as insightful. I pay my taxes and stay well within the thai law. Not all legal fields of work will grant you a work permit here ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Not a matter of how well you can cycle, your immune system is not as strong

Everyone is different, genetics play a big part in your immune system as well as your body type. Just look at those that are still active and working into there 80's, versus some 60 year old who are in-active, overweight smoke, drink, and have underlying medical issues such as heart disease, now get of your high horse.  

6 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

yea yea imagine someone having 11K posts on this forum and ignores the actual question. dont worry I pay my taxes and Thanks for contributing with a helpful response ????

you answered your own question

I guess i just stay put and pay massive overstay fees and get banned from re-entry when this all blows over?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Curfew if implemented, and enforced by who???? Police ????, Army???? if it was implemented by either of these I would lock down and self isolate out of sight. 

It said no curfew in place so I guess my wife’s sister was wrong. I thought I read no curfew in place I’ll check again. My wife’s sister was saying something about that today. 

Edited by JimLuce
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

So i get it, you all hate people like me, however I am on a long term tourist visa for the past 6 years due to my field of work (professional online card player) does not qualify for a work permit. Elite Visa is in process but will still take a couple months at the earliest.

What do I do? I got 20 days left on my tourist visa and usually stay for 4*60 days (240 days a year in thailand (30 days + 30 days extention) + 120 days in vietnam.

now when both countries are closing their borders for foreigners and I have no other home country, where can I go? My passport is swedish but I have no family/place to return to.

I guess i just stay put and pay massive overstay fees and get banned from re-entry when this all blows over?

Your embassy should get you a letter so you can get a 30-day extension.  The "official order" did not indicate you need one on a Tourist entry, but reports indicate you will. 

Don't overstay if it can possibly be avoided.  Imagine COVID in the IDC.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gj5f/our-world-wuhan-life-under-lockdown

Interesting, short BBC documentary showing just what the government and its people had to do to stop the spread. I know of very few countries with the same capabilities, moreso the  people rather than the government.

Was also intresting to me as I lived and worked there for 2 years in the midst of the SARS epidemic. This however feels very different.

Just now, JimLuce said:

It said no curfew in place so I guess my wife’s sister was wrong. I thought I read no curfew in place I’ll check again. My wife’s sister was saying something about that today. 

No curfew has been implemented as yet. Just saying.

4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Curfew if implemented, and enforced by who???? Police ????, Army???? if it was implemented by either of these I would lock down and self isolate out of sight. 

The 2014 curfew was mostly soldiers but police too. I remember leaving a bar a bit late when the curfew was 10pm. Tuk Tuk driver drove all the back ways to avoid the curfew posts. Needless to say I made made sure of times after that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, khunyod said:

It is not the "corona flu"  The issue is, with a ~3% mortality rate, and a highly infections disease, if just 10% of the population were exposed to this, we are talking 200,000 dead. 

Another issue is incorrect numbers: With your assumed 10% or 7 million infected not just exposed only 20% will have serious symptoms. And then if mortality is 3% then that's 42,000. For comparison 50,000 Thais die from cigarette smoking /year. And most likely a lot of the coronavirus fatalities were smokers.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

So i get it, you all hate people like me, however I am on a long term tourist visa for the past 6 years living off savings

What do I do? I got 20 days left on my tourist visa and usually stay for 4*60 days (240 days a year in thailand (30 days + 30 days extention) + 120 days in vietnam.

now when both countries are closing their borders for foreigners and I have no other home country, where can I go? My passport is swedish but I have no family/place to return to.

Its only for a month at this stage, go stay elsewhere for a month then return

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Somethings wrong here, if the borders are closed, why are so many flights coming in?

https://suvarnabhumi.airportthai.co.th/en/flights

Likely cargo will keep the reduced services operating, anyway.

UK said people should now return to the UK for example, before it gets any more difficult to do so

2 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

A gesture, but misplaced, what are they hoping to achieve, other than accelerating the collapse of the economy ?
In the meantime Immigration offices are a complete joke as they are swamped with people being forced there for visa reasons.

Not a Joke !

I extended my NON-IMM 'O' (Thai Spouse) VISA at Chiangmai Immigration yesterday ... I did get there early … but everything finished and I left at 10:30a.m.

They had procedures in place to accommodate social distancing … they had staff checking temperature. Their own staff utilized protective gear.

Kudos to immigration … well done.

7A61A188-6803-4D99-B605-A4C670322CCB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Eldery people must stay home ..

okay, okay...

But at which age are we old ?

I'm 71 old and when I cycle with my MTBike, a lot of young 40 year olds find it hard to follow me ..

Me too. Your age is not defined by a number but by your mental an physical condition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

They are on their way. No doubt about it. 

idiots almost fall out.jpg

I absolutely agree with all the condemnations of reckless. dangerous, foolish and so on.

But you know, one of the things which I love about living here is that every day, without fail, you see or come across something which makes you chuckle!

The Japanese, who are a controlled, self disciplined bunch, apparently refer to the Thais as " The children of Asia". You can see why can't you?