Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

It is strange that the are only allowing foreigners in with work permits. Plenty of other legal long stay foreigners such as people who bought the expensive Thailand Elite, as well as people with marriage & retirement visas. Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

I don't see anywhere (exept for one news outlet) that allowed people with WP to come in..What I understand is that no Foreigners (All other than Thai passports) are not allowed in (with the exeption of diplomats).

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They aren't actually thinking about you in particular.  If you look at the average Thai 70 year old, they're pretty decrepit.  And there isn't the man-power to administer some kind of fitness test to everyone over the age of 70.  Also, as others have stated, your ability to walk a long distance does not automatically mean that your immune system is not the same as any other 70 year olds.

Basically, they would have closed the food places as well but people still need to eat.  It's not that they think 7/11 is safe and launderettes are not.  They're both unsafe, but one needs to be kept open so people can eat.

Also, they couldn't possibly check every place of business in the whole country to see if it looks safe or dangerous.  Some launderettes would be OK, some would not, so close them all to stop the spread of the virus.

Yes it does, because if they do not do this and stop the spread then it will be 70 million lives disrupted by getting the virus.  Some would recover, some would die and some could receive semi-permanent damage to their lungs.

So just everyone be careful and avoid going out as much as you can for a few weeks and hopefully it will be stopped sooner rather than later.

I understand the fear, but don't think it will explode here. it doesn't explode in any warm country.

5 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

The Chinese will be the first tourists welcomed back when the virus subsides. 

Once this virus thing is finished, No country should allow any Chinese aircraft to land until they are sure there is no chance of the Chinese ever spreading any more viruses.

In my opinion, both the UK and Thailand will let the Chinese into their country as soon as things are back to normal.

The UK because they allow any nationality in as they have been doing for years, and Thailand because they need them as tourist because they have caused so many Farangs to leave because of immigration issues, so many westerners will not come to Thailand as tourists because of the strong Baht, among other things.

53 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes in case of elite you can extend inland at immigration office until the end of the visa. It ends either when your passport expires or your thai elite membership expires. It's essentially a pre-paid multi year visa. 

I got it until 2024, but am not confident at all that situation in Thailand will remain such that they'll honor that date. If not the virus, then the ensuing political mayhem due to the upcoming recession. 

There's no mention of the PE (elite) visa having any exceptions to be allowed entry now so so much for "elite".

I know. It is just that I did not understand the reference to the Thailand Privilege in that case.

I would not worry about "honouring the date" that if I were you as Thailand Elite went through a turmoil for a couple of years and talks about cancelling it were on the table. That was long before you obtained your current PE and due to the bad financial situation the company was in at the time. To date the Privilege status is not threatened. At worst the existing members' status would be grandfathered.

As for the right to enter the country I have got no idea but you should get a note from the company to inform ou of your rights and would advise any member to stay in Thailand until this is over if they can afford ( not talking about the financial means )

42 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Was there any mention of any preferred immigration status when you signed up? I mean beyond being picked up by cart at the jetway and access to some mediocre golf courses?

In the end, it's still just an expensive non-immigrant visa that doesn't even support a work permit.

And rightly so as it is a tourist visa. And they will apply the rules they have to....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Only the mention of a dedicated immigration line. At swampy they sometimes use the diplomatic line. It's not even a non-immigrant visa, no 5y driving license possible. Basically a super-tourismo GT thing. 

Why do people write about what they do not know? But anyway this not a thread about Thailand Privilege and it is better to keep it this way

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

A decent government would let parents of minor children enter.

What about someone who is in a western country and has a re entry permit, or has a Thai wife, and even a family, will they have a problem getting back into Thailand?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Eldery people must stay home ..

okay, okay...

But at which age are we old ?

I'm 71 old and when I cycle with my MTBike, a lot of young 40 year olds find it hard to follow me ..

So get rid of the bloody engine !    lolololol

35 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about someone who is in a western country and has a re entry permit, or has a Thai wife, and even a family, will they have a problem getting back into Thailand?

All foreigners are banned from entering Thailand until April 30th, with a few limited exceptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I read it as "no".

WP and diplomats only.

And a post discussing moderation has been removed.

Elite visa no too? Just curious because usually no1 ever mentions it yet I always get Thai prices when using it. 

Edited by Drax

5 hours ago, Mung said:

Trump has totally dropped the ball on this one. I am neither left or right, but it's easy to see how he's c0cked this one up good and proper. He failed to prepare properly, didn't take the right actions, tried downplaying it up until even now which gives a false sense of security, and seems to be clueless to basic logic and science. The US is going to be the new epicentre for this pandemic in the coming weeks thanks to him 

What has this got to do with us, we' re not all Yanks so could'nt care less. This is supposed to be about Thailand.

5 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Trump feels that some areas of the USA can get back to normality by April 12- Easter. He is under no illusion that the entire country will be ready to do this, especially New York. 

I could'nt care less about what is happening the USA so why do the mods allow them to turn it into a yanky page.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

A gesture, but misplaced, what are they hoping to achieve, other than accelerating the collapse of the economy ?
In the meantime Immigration offices are a complete joke as they are swamped with people being forced there for visa reasons.

They should have closed the borders 1 month ago. 

1 hour ago, NotThatGuy said:

The more important question is what will you do? If all the bars close and the lads and ladies go home and all of sudden you realize you are a foreigner in a foreign land where you are a persona non grata... what now? What to do?

Went fishing this am...bought a hamburger at the drive thru on the way home...caught a quick nap...now gearing up to play video games until the news comes on this pm...life is good!

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

what you believe!
I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol.
I live in the countryside in the middle of rice fields and heveas plantations.
My lung and heart capacities are in excellent condition, according to the last encephalogram and the radio of my lungs made a fortnight ago at the public hospital in Udon Thani.
I am not diabetic or fat, which my bike appreciates, moreover
When I climb Phupalek, 4.8 km at 10% average, I arrive at the top with pulsations at 115/120, so very below my maximum allowed which is, I remind you: 220 minus my age (71 ) = 149

You must be <superman

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

How about laborers packed in pick up trucks no masks sitting in traffic , Ridiculous almighty baht

The chance to die on a cramped pick up is much higher than to die by corona virus. 

Therefore no masks necessary ????????

22 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Went fishing this am...bought a hamburger at the drive thru on the way home...caught a quick nap...now gearing up to play video games until the news comes on this pm...life is good!

Good for you, thanks for your helpful input in thread named "Thailand closed borders to foreigners"... It's good you're Thai citizen, not a "foreigner"... Did you open your champagne yet?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

panic

there is panic all over the globe.

the source for this panic is high rank officials in the world health organization.

they took over this crisis and the result is disastrous.

the virus is in thailand since at least january, so why panic now?

if the virus is so deadly, so why thai hospitals are not jammed with sick and dead

people?

because just now the WHO told to all government  : "PANIC ! NOOOOWW!!!"

i can see the same panic all over the world, besides the UK and US who took

the herd immunity approach, and it seems quite succeful.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It will take months in order to control a virus. More likely 6 months to one year.permit please do not build antibodies efter infection. Same person Ian get sick many times. Second infection will be more serious than first... 

No need to continue to explain basic things

3 minutes ago, Trolleen said:

What people complain about? Every country in the world close a border. No one can comments in unless you are citizen

Wrong... Not "every country in the world" close borders to *citizens* only... *residents* should be allowed in as well, like in most of the countries... you know, people with home & family in Thailand... 

UK and other countries automatically extended all visas to all visitors, by the way..........................

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

A decent government would let parents of minor children enter.

A decent parent would not be separated from his minor children in most cases. They would either be in Thailand with their kids or the kids would be elsewhere with the parent.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1