Explainer: Why are malaria pills being used against coronavirus?

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

220 million people are treated for malaria every year, not including millions more who take chloroquine etc for prophylactic protection against the various forms of malaria. For decades. Billions of patients.  One of the most widely used and beneficial drugs of all time. I know several people who have taken it.  Only the MSM could possibly make it out to be an evil killer drug. Incredible.

You are missing an issue which the drug trials will examine. 

It’s an issue Dr Fauci director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases was at pains to explain the last time he was permitted to be the one speaking on medical matters from the WH.

Putting aside the efficacy of this drug in treating the Cornavirus and COVID-19,  ‘Is this drug safe to take while infected with the Coronavirus’.

It’s efficacy and it’s safety wrt Coronavirus/COVID-19 have yet to be demonstrated by medical trials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anterian said:

If you are in Thailand you could try the traditional cure (not prevention) for this family of viruses, Fah-Talai-Jone. 

I thought that is only for fever and best not to bring a fever down unless dangerously high, fever means your immune system is fighting the virus. Got 4 bottles of that anyway

Edited by Orton Rd

6 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I took chloroquin for seven months the first time I worked in India but didn't realise the side effects till the second time I worked there when I thought the risk of having malaria was lower than taking it. The other thing is so many people are taking it and have been taking it that it's effectiveness in Asia is being reduced as malaria is becoming more resistant to it, people are taking stronger drugs like malerone. The same thing has happened in Thailand with using deet (a poison) in mosquito sprays as apparently mosquitos in parts of NW Thailand have become resistant to it.

Deet? Deet is a mosquito repellant. Definitely not a poison. Maybe you're thinking of DDT?

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Deet? Deet is a mosquito repellant. Definitely not a poison. Maybe you're thinking of DDT?

yes it is, why do you think it repells. I used to use the 95% deet one when I first came here till I discovered it was a poison.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

I've been tracking several drugs for a month (stocked up long before Trump) and the evidence is quite good for Chloroquine. They even know why it works, more later. What's missing are time consuming broad double blind studies usually used at the peer review level of science. This is correct for proof, legal reasons, for business, and routine doctors care.  The lack of a year long peer reviewed work does not negate all that is know already.  Including its safety because doses for COVID-19 are smaller than for those billions of patients who took it for malaria. Slim at best = fat!

I thought the dose for malaria was 500mg once a week for this virus it's 500mg twice a day for at least a week

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

I've been tracking several drugs for a month (stocked up long before Trump) and the evidence is quite good for Chloroquine. They even know why it works, more later. What's missing are time consuming broad double blind studies usually used at the peer review level of science. This is correct for proof, legal reasons, for business, and routine doctors care.  The lack of a year long peer reviewed work does not negate all that is know already.  Including its safety because doses for COVID-19 are smaller than for those billions of patients who took it for malaria. Slim at best = fat!

The following disagrees with you:

Malaria Drug Chloroquine No Better Than Regular Coronavirus Care, Study Finds

March 25, 2020, 9:37 AM GMT+7 Updated on March 25, 2020, 10:33 AM GMT+7

Small study of 30 patients is early look at highly-touted drug

Medicine already being given to patients in New York

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I thought the dose for malaria was 500mg once a week for this virus it's 500mg twice a day for at least a week

That is a prophylactic dose. I have a friend who took it for years in Nepal. Treating malaria is about 2.5 grams given as fast as possible usually within 48 hours. AFAIHR. The exact times vary. COVID-19 treatment, that I have seen, is below that for about 6 days but varies as they  study it.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, rabas said:

The study most often cited, the one undertaken in France was very sketchy indeed. People who got ill on the regimen weren't even counted in the final results. And the latest one isn't encouraging at all. At least for hydrochlorquinone. 

But what's worse, sufferers from lupus are now having serious problems getting hold of the medication because of Trump's megaphone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The following disagrees with you:

Sorry I don't see the reference unless you mean bloomburg.  But you have to take all evidence into consideration, not just an article (I try to avoid anything in the political spectrum at this time).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Sorry I don't see the reference unless you mean bloomburg.  But you have to take all evidence into consideration, not just an article (I try to avoid anything in the political spectrum at this time).

from what i posted above:

Here's one analysis of the study itself. Skip down to where the study itself is exhaustively looked at:

The study: Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-hydroxychloroquine-and-azithromycin-an-effective-treatment-for-covid-19/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

The study most often cited, the one undertaken in France was very sketchy indeed. People who got ill on the regimen weren't even counted in the final results. And the latest one isn't encouraging at all. At least for hydrochlorquinone. 

But what's worse, sufferers from lupus are now having serious problems getting hold of the medication because of Trump's megaphone.

Most often? It just came out, Chloroquine has been studied since the SARS days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

I was pointing you to the Bloomberg news article linked in my post in the other thread on the recent Chinese small scale study that found no benefit for CV in using the drug. Apart from that, I know from other news reports that the Chinese medical authorities originally went full bore on this drug, then encountered problems with it, and then backed off and recommended limiting its use. So overall, even with the current limited information, the results for CV are hardly clear or consistent.

• Haha 1

OK, here is how it works. Chloroquine does not kill COVID-19, zinc does! But Chloroquine is the only thing that can get zinc into cells.

This is an well known professional doctor who is also a great lecturer. He has been tracking the SARS-2 from the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was pointing you to the Bloomberg news article linked in my post in the other thread on the recent Chinese small scale study that found no benefit for CV in using the drug. Apart from that, I know from other news reports that the Chinese medical authorities originally went full bore on this drug, then encountered problems with it, and then backed off and recommended limiting its use. So overall, even with the current limited information, the results for CV are hardly clear or consistent.

Do you have a reference to the back off? I would be interested to see it. I went through all the Chinese cases one by one. I did not see reference to that but maybe it came later.

14 minutes ago, rabas said:

Do you have a reference to the back off? I would be interested to see it. I went through all the Chinese cases one by one. I did not see reference to that but maybe it came later.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/virus-drug-touted-by-trump-musk-can-kill-with-just-two-grams

Bloomberg News

March 20, 2020, 1:50 PM GMT+7 Updated on March 20, 2020, 4:09 PM GMT+7
  •  
    China recommended chloroquine for coronavirus a month back
  •  
    Within days, it cautioned against severe side effects

The drug touted by the U.S. President Donald Trump as a possible line of treatment against the coronavirus comes with severe warnings in China and can kill in dosages as little as two grams.

China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December, recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials. But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back its usage.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd have more confidence in your comments if you hadn't just misspelled the governor of New York's name on 3+ consecutive posts in this thread....

Sorry your right! I should and will pay homage to his name ,especially when he  wants to give hope to thousands , cuomo ! I hope Mr. Trump and cuomo efforts will save some lives ! Looking at the glass half full

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

Bottom line everyone would be delighted if it works the key here is (if) it works it’s under trials now it is ill responsible to speak of it this early untle it’s proven effective potus of all people should have the discipline to wait till at least early evidence is known 

Come on now Just because people suffering from lupus, a terrible disease, can't get their medication because of Trump touting hydrochloroquine prematurely, is no reason to...oh wait a minute...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tug said:

Bottom line everyone would be delighted if it works the key here is (if) it works it’s under trials now it is ill responsible to speak of it this early untle it’s proven effective potus of all people should have the discipline to wait till at least early evidence is known 

Ah! Looking at the glass half full! 

Thanks Tug

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Come on now Just because people suffering from lupus, a terrible disease, can't get their medication because of Trump touting hydrochloroquine prematurely, is no reason to...oh wait a minute...

Before I believe that is not just about Trump, you need to find how many Lupus sufferers in the US use hydroxychloroquine. My sister has Lupus but has never taken it.

Edited by rabas